PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Springer, need someone with previous experience

Jowy
03-01-2016, 09:47
Ok I'm from the UK and I'm coming alone. Starting a hike in May from Springer. I've got a flight to Atlanta, I'm pretty sure I can get to Gainesville no problem but it seems public transport is limited or non existent from Gainesville to Springer, I'm reluctant to jump in a taxi on my own since it will be expensive, are there any methods of public transport to Springer, and if not, what are the chances of me meeting other hikers in Gainesville that will be willing to split a taxi with me so I can cut the cost?

MuddyWaters
03-01-2016, 09:55
No, theres no public transportation to springer, or amicalola.

You will need to pay for a private shuttle, taxi, or uber, or share a ride with someone.

Gainesville is a big place. You wont likely just bump into other hikers there, though you might find an angel whod like to drive you.

Water Rat
03-01-2016, 10:00
The easiest solution is to contact the Hiker Hostel (http://hikerhostel.com/lodging/thru-hiker-special/). They have a thru-hiker special where they will pick you up at the Marta station, provide overnight stay in their bunk room, feed you in the morning, and will then also shuttle you to Springer.

Best of luck & have a safe and happy hike!

soilman
03-01-2016, 10:01
I recommend the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA. They have thru hiker special where they will pick you up from the MARTA station, give you a bunk, and take you to Springer.

bigcranky
03-01-2016, 12:38
+1 on the Hiker Hostel. Nice folks, and a very reasonable cost for the thru-hiker service.

brendathompson71
03-01-2016, 14:58
agree with water rat!

FatMan
03-01-2016, 15:33
Forget about getting to Gainesville. Too much work. MARTA (Atlanta Subway) has a station right at the Airport. Take MARTA to the North Springs Station (last stop on the Red Line). Then have an AT shuttle guy pick you up and take you to the trail. Or, as stated above the Hiker Hostel will pick up as long as you stay over night. I strongly recommend them.

norts
03-01-2016, 17:12
Hiker Hostel takes all the hassle out of getting to Springer. I would use them again.
Taz

10hut
03-01-2016, 19:18
+1 on the Hiker Hostel. Nice folks, and a very reasonable cost for the thru-hiker service.

Been there done that. Great people and provide a great service.

Bati
03-01-2016, 21:00
I recommend emailing the hiker hostel and mentioning that you may need to buy fuel and food first. They might be able to arrange a visit to a grocery store before you start.

pauly_j
03-02-2016, 06:14
They pick you up from North Springs Marta in Atlanta. If you get off the stop before there is an REI and a Target to get supplies if needed.

I'm using them this year. As others have said, really good at taking any hassle away. For only $85 for shuttle, a bunk and breakfast, you can't really go wrong.

CoconutTree
03-02-2016, 18:18
The Hiker Hostel special runs through mid April, so that doesn't help Jowy. You can still do it, but it will cost more than $85. Maybe just post your date here and see if you get lucky.

George
03-02-2016, 19:16
gainsville is only 40 miles, that is an easy walk for someone planning 2200

Jowy
03-03-2016, 16:40
gainsville is only 40 miles, that is an easy walk for someone planning 2200
I like the way you think George! Might just do this if I can't find a cheap alternative.

Guys the Hiker Hostel deal doesn't run late enough for when I want to go

Water Rat
03-03-2016, 17:58
Okie doke - Maybe try contacting Survivor Dave? He might work out for you... http://www.atsurvivordave.com/

OnlyJohn
03-03-2016, 20:00
What day are you coming in May? I live between gainesville and springier (Dawsonville) I might be able to give your ride to springer .

OnlyJohn

Jowy
03-06-2016, 15:23
What day are you coming in May? I live between gainesville and springier (Dawsonville) I might be able to give your ride to springer .

OnlyJohn

Hi John, flying on the twelfth hoping to make the journey from the airport to the start of the trail and start walking on the thirteenth.

OnlyJohn
03-07-2016, 15:18
I will send you a pm. I can probably make that work.

John

Longboysfan
03-07-2016, 18:02
I recommend the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA. They have thru hiker special where they will pick you up from the MARTA station, give you a bunk, and take you to Springer.

Agreeded. Great place to stay day before.
You can ride train - MARTA - for $3.50 US to the North Station.
Hiker Hostel picks you up there.
Stay overnight and they drop you at Amicola or Springer.

They will even give your pack a shake down.

In the mail lodge downstairs there are hiker boxes with some food and equipment to switch out if needed.