PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak / Regs Question

GolfHiker
03-01-2016, 14:38
I plan on taking Amtrak into Georgia in a few weeks. I've never done Amtrak, thus don't quite know their "carry on" regs... of course I could research Amtrak or even call them, but I was hoping that a fellow WBer would know some specifics. I don't expect it's okay to carry a fuel canister, so I wont. I am however concerned about my hiking poles, even with the rubber tips & broken down to mostly fit in my backpack. I'd like to not have to ship them ahead, but will if necessary.

Anything else I should be aware of??? Thoughts from any Amtrak users :-?

Thank you.

GoldenBear
03-01-2016, 14:46
Don't display the sharp points while on the train and you'll be fine.

TECHNICALLY they are prohibited
https://www.amtrak.com/prohibited-items
However, there are no inspections, of any kind, of any luggage when you board or ride Amtrak. If it's out of sight, it's no problem.

If you're really worried, you can place them in checked baggage, where even fencing swords and guns are permitted.

brendathompson71
03-01-2016, 14:49
Amtrak is very easy you can carry a lot and they don't do searches

GolfHiker
03-01-2016, 14:49
Thanks Golden Bear... excellent idea, and good to know about my fencing sword, which should come in handy on the AT.

hubcap
03-01-2016, 14:52
I had two hiking poles strapped to the outside of my pack when I rode from Washington DC to Gainesville, GA. No one said a thing. It was a very pleasant trip!

dudeijuststarted
03-01-2016, 15:08
My advice: Be cleaned up and do not look like a hiker. We are easily mistaken for homeless and seated accordingly. Not a pleasant experience.

tiptoe
03-01-2016, 15:31
I've taken Amtrak several times at the start and end of section hikes, and no one has ever asked me to open my backpack. I don't carry denatured alcohol with me, and I keep my little pocket knife in my little pocket. Occasionally I've been asked to show my ticket again after boarding the train, but that's about the worst of it.

bigcranky
03-01-2016, 17:58
We took Amtrak to VT for our Long Trail thru.

We each took our fully loaded pack, and I had a separate bag with full food bags. I broke down our hiking poles and wrapped the tips in cardboard, then placed them inside my pack, and I also put everything that would normally be carried in an outside pocket inside the pack (hence the food bags in a separate grocery-type bag, left at the hotel the morning we started).

There is plenty of room for bags on Amtrak. It was an enjoyable trip -- actually decent food and beer in the dining car, lots of room to stretch out.

Odd Man Out
03-01-2016, 18:53
I cut two pieces of Pex tubing (1 inch long) that fit over the tips of my poles to protect things in transit. As said before you can take anything on Amtrak. I also have a large green canvas army issue duffel bag I will throw my pack and poles in for travel. But that only works when you have a way of retrieving the bag after the hike.

bigcranky
03-01-2016, 20:52
As said before you can take anything on Amtrak.

Many years ago when I was in college I carried a rifle on Amtrak - a highly specialized Walther single shot .22 for three-position smallbore Olympic shooting competition. All I had to do was show the conductor that I had removed the bolt and had it in my bag. The rifle was in a case, of course. :)

Not sure that works these days, so kids, don't try this at home.

The Kisco Kid
03-02-2016, 10:58
No worries. I've taken Amtrak a dozen times to the trail from Virginia to New Hampshire carrying my poles and fuel canisters. Never been questioned. As another poster noted, they're not fond of super smelly hikers so clean up as best you can for the return trip!

Amtrak is an awesome ride

Mouser999
03-02-2016, 12:53
I rolled my fully loaded touring bike right on and the conductor never asked about what was in the panniers. You could see the tent and sleeping bag, so he knew I was camping and probably had a stove and fuel

grizzlyadam
03-02-2016, 14:20
Taken Amtrak to the trail in Maine, VT, WV, and GA- all from NC and never had an issue.

Heck, after my PCT section in 2011 I took the train from Barstow, CA to Williams, AZ with an ice ax strapped to the outside of my pack with no problems.

bigcranky
03-02-2016, 14:32
Heck, after my PCT section in 2011 I took the train from Barstow, CA to Williams, AZ with an ice ax strapped to the outside of my pack with no problems.

A lovely short story for you, sir.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1837056/my-little-serrated-security-blanket

Odd Man Out
03-02-2016, 16:15
Many years ago when I was in college I carried a rifle on Amtrak - a highly specialized Walther single shot .22 for three-position smallbore Olympic shooting competition. All I had to do was show the conductor that I had removed the bolt and had it in my bag. The rifle was in a case, of course. :)

Not sure that works these days, so kids, don't try this at home.

When I was in college, I once stayed up all night in the club car talking to a group of elderly women who were on their way to Vegas to spend all their retirement money. They bought me drinks all night because I was a poor college student. They were a hoot.

George
03-02-2016, 18:08
I don't carry denatured alcohol with me, .

you can bring your own booze on amtrack so there is no reason that denatured would be an issue - white gas would be another story

George
03-02-2016, 18:16
-- actually decent food and beer in the dining car, lots of room to stretch out.

food is not bad, but it is pricey for what you get - I like to bring something on

one of my best moves was a giant calzone from the pizza place near ATC in harpers ferry, they put it in a full size pizza box - 1/2 hour into the trip I ease it open and start gnawing at one end - face lights up on someone walking by and he says: they have that in the dining car?

he got let down when I told him you have to bring it on

GolfHiker
03-02-2016, 20:43
Thanks all. I'm pleased to learn everything. My worries are gone. See you all on the trail.

Turk6177
03-02-2016, 20:50
I took AMTRAK this summer and never had anyone look into one of my bags. You can store it above you like a plane or put it at the end of a car. You should be fine carrying anything onboard.

grizzlyadam
03-03-2016, 01:39

Lovely indeed.

"This, I believe, makes the electroshock devices, the cans of pepper gas, and the ninja throwing stars in the pawnshop window look minor league."

That's kind of how I feel about my ice ax.

Traveler
03-03-2016, 07:43
Amtrack Police: Whats in the bag, sir?

Me: A water bladder (empty), change of clothes, sleeping bag, tent, a small tactical nuclear device, and an energy bar.

Amtrack police: So no battery acid, fuel, or pets?

Me: No sir.

Amtrack police: Ok, have a nice ride.

pauly_j
03-03-2016, 08:21
On a slightly unrelated point, is there much difference in the cost between buying your tickets in advance or on the day? I plan on taking the Amtrak a couple of times while in the states. Rail tickets in the UK can vary massively in price depending on when they're booked and I was wondering if it was similar there.

Tuckahoe
03-03-2016, 08:38
On a slightly unrelated point, is there much difference in the cost between buying your tickets in advance or on the day? I plan on taking the Amtrak a couple of times while in the states. Rail tickets in the UK can vary massively in price depending on when they're booked and I was wondering if it was similar there.

Yes. The earlier you can purchase your train ticket, the lower the fare will be, and whereas in the UK train tickets become available 12 weeks out, Amtrak tickets are available 11 months out.

Another Kevin
03-03-2016, 10:05

This is why I've never tried to take my ice axe on public transportation. (And why I pretty much always have pick, adze and spike guards on it when it's not in use.) One acquaintance of mine once saw my pack with all the winter traction gear racked and said, "that's formidable!" Not a word I often hear in conversation.

tiptoe
03-03-2016, 10:57
There is a huge difference in price. I've always bought my outbound ticket ahead of time, but my return-home ticket had to be purchased just a day or two prior.

New England Guy
03-05-2016, 21:34
Not sure yet if I'm flying to Atlanta and then taking a shuttle, catching a ride or possibly taking Amtrak. After reading this post, Amtrak sounds like a pretty good idea!

Busky2
03-06-2016, 09:38
I took the train from Philly to Atlanta in '14, it is the wild west out there just about anything goes. Bring ear plugs if you want to sleep I thought a herd a cackle in the middle of the night like a turkey. I don't know what it was but it was effen weird. But I'd do it again without hesitation if need arises with the ear plugs.

Skyline
03-10-2016, 12:51
Amtrak has decades of experience dealing with hikers/backpackers. Some of their western trains serve gateways to national parks and other popular destinations. So long as you don't inconvenience or piss off staff or other passengers, you most likely won't have a problem. You can carry-on backpacks just like luggage. No one checks what's inside the pack, but if you have something visible that raises eyebrows some on-board employee or conductor might be interested.

If it won't fit in an overhead rack, there are storage shelves at the front and/or back of most coach cars. If you're paying extra for a sleeper, there might be enough space inside the "room" for your gear, but if not there is ample storage space elsewhere.

Amtrak can be a great way to travel. However, like backpacking, you need to be a little adventurous because things don't always go as planned. No worries...you'll figure it out and adapt if you have a good attitude.

HappilyUnemployed
03-10-2016, 13:06
Arriving in GA Monday night by train. So excited! Its a long ride from Los Angeles.

Hoofit
03-10-2016, 14:53
Glad to hear they are not too uptight...just booked a Miami to New York, for mid July, yep, the whole way, for only 124 bucks!
Seems like a fair deal to me and no airports to deal with.( I did get a discount for booking early and another one for 'old fart status', as I have just turned 62.)
Time to ride the rails!

New England Guy
03-10-2016, 22:23
It's official, just booked my seat on the Crescent line from D.C. to Gainesville. I guess I am really doing this :) I start first week in April.

Sarcasm the elf
03-10-2016, 22:39
TECHNICALLY they are prohibited
https://www.amtrak.com/prohibited-items
However, there are no inspections, of any kind, of any luggage when you board or ride Amtrak. If it's out of sight, it's no problem.

If you're really worried, you can place them in checked baggage, where even fencing swords and guns are permitted.

I think that is incorrect as there is nothing on that prohibited items list that mentions hiking poles. Alternately I believe that they fall under the "General Sporting Equipment" and "Ski and Snowboard" section of Amtrak's regulations that are found here https://www.amtrak.com/special-items While hiking poles aren't specifically mentioned Ski poles are specifically allowed.

I have personally taken my hiking poles on Amtrak several times. Each time they have been visible either on the side of my pack or sticking out of it and nobody has said anything about it.