PDA

View Full Version : Elevation Acclimation

Shae
03-01-2016, 15:21
Since it seems like our luck is running out in obtaining a permit for the JMT, our back-up plan is to hike the Collegiate Loop Trail. Wondering if there is a rule of thumb or suggestion as to the length time for acclimatizing to the elevation? We are coming from sea level out east. The plan it to start at Twin Lakes which we see is at 9200'. We've skied and done day hikes in the Summit County area and have not had any issues - but carrying 30 pounds all day is obviously a bit different. Is OK to start the hike when we get there and just take it slow the first couple of days. Or better to do a couple of day hikes first and see how it goes? Any feedback would be appreciated.

colorado_rob
03-01-2016, 15:25
I'd simply start with the east side first, lower elevations, by the time you loop around to the west side you should be well acclimated. Just take it easy, hydrate and eat well (lots of carbs) and you should be fine.

If you're flying into Denver, consider doing a hike in the front range "foothills" first, I can make a ton of suggestions if you're interested. you could even do section 1 of the CT out and back or even loop around through Roxborough State Park or something.

dudeijuststarted
03-01-2016, 15:28
What Rob said ^

Shae
03-01-2016, 15:32
I'd simply start with the east side first, lower elevations, by the time you loop around to the west side you should be well acclimated. Just take it easy, hydrate and eat well (lots of carbs) and you should be fine.

If you're flying into Denver, consider doing a hike in the front range "foothills" first, I can make a ton of suggestions if you're interested. you could even do section 1 of the CT out and back or even loop around through Roxborough State Park or something.

Thanks Rob. That was the plan - to go clockwise and do the CT side first. Still working out the logistics but may fly into Aspen as it looks like it's only about 35 miles from there to Twin Lakes right up Route 82. If we do end up going to Denver instead, may hit you up for some suggestions.

Snowleopard
03-01-2016, 16:11
Altitude acclimation varies person to person. Go by what worked for you before if you've been to altitude before (even Mt. Wash. NH doesn't count); if you've been to Summit County, CO, did you have headaches, etc. It looks like Aspen is about 8000' and Twin Lakes about 9200'. If it was me, I'd spend a day or two at 8000' or lower, taking it easy for the first day or two, then go up to 9200'. I don't know the altitudes of the trail you'll be taking, but it's best to increase the altitude of where you sleep slowly ('sleep low, climb high'). Stay very well hydrated.

You should read up a little bit on altitude sickness:
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/altitude-sickness-topic-overview
http://www.ismm.org/index.php/normal-acclimatization.html?expandable=1&subexpandable=2

It is rare to have serious problems below 8000', but two people I worked with had serious problems there. One person just was unusually sensitive to altitude. The other just over did it the first day -- major exercise on the first day from sea level and possibly dehydrated. Both of these are unusual, but do take it easy the first day. If you don't over do it you should be fine. If one of you feels sick beyond a mild headache at night, go down in elevation.

colorado_rob
03-01-2016, 16:35
Thanks Rob. That was the plan - to go clockwise and do the CT side first. Still working out the logistics but may fly into Aspen as it looks like it's only about 35 miles from there to Twin Lakes right up Route 82. If we do end up going to Denver instead, may hit you up for some suggestions.Plenty of cool hiking near Aspen! get your first rocky Mountain High: Take the maroon lake shuttle to the maroon lake trailhead and hike up to crater lake and behold the Maroon Bells. Beautiful area. The quintessential Colorado. If you feel saucy, head back to the trail junction just before the lake, hang a left and head up towards Buckskin pass a ways, to get a bit more altitude.

Crater Lake is a great little out-and-back to acclimate. I forget the trailhead elevation, somewhere in the 9's, crater lake is maybe 1000-1500 vertical up. If you feel poorly on the way up, just turn around.

Here is a link to the Asper-area buses, those Aspenites love their buses (for tourists) and their range rovers (for themselves):

http://www.rfta.com/

Just hanging out in Aspen for a day or two is fun; great people watching. But expensive....

A lot of people from sea level confuse the simple effect of the lower O2 pressure with being "altitude sick". they feel like crap because they just aren't getting as much oxygen, and they are not used to that feeling. they call it "altitude sickness", when it's probably just, er, lack of O2 ! I've had dozens of visitors from sea level over many decades in CO, I only remember one single instance of a visitor getting sick, and it was undoubtedly because I drug him up a 14er in the first few days.

Enjoy! when you doing this?

The shot below is of Maroon lake, a couple hundred yards from the trailhead. Crater lake is about 1.5 miles up the trail, in the direction of those two big peaks, South and North Maroon, two of our 55 14ers.

colorado_rob
03-01-2016, 17:02
One more thought then I'll shut up.... there are three National Forest (white river NF) campgrounds on the Maroon Creek (lake) road. You'll have your complete BP kit, why not stay a night or even two at one of these campgrounds? Here is a link to one of them, Silver Queen (there are two more, can't remember the names, might both have "silver" in them):

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whiteriver/recreation/recarea/?recid=40539&actid=31

If you do this, make a reservation! These CG's fill up pretty much every night. they are just NF campgrounds, nothing special, no showers, etc. sleeping at 9K for a night or two before hitting the CT loop wouldn't hurt (not that you really need to, most likely). Watch out for porcupines! They are all over the place in this area.

Shae
03-01-2016, 18:33
Thanks again Rob. Great picture and thanks for the CG link. One of the guys I'll be hiking with lived in Aspen for several years way back in the 70's so it would be nice to hang out in that area for a couple of days at least. Probably looking to do this the first couple of weeks in September. We still have a few days to apply for the JMT but 16 straight days of denials and not looking good.