PDA

View Full Version : Hiawhat?

Aaron l
03-01-2016, 15:29
Hiawassee no longer has a gear shop and there are no options but to be charged 30 DOLLARS!!!!!!!! How much is gas? To get to topdollar of Georgia hostel. My first town day and I already had it with towns, haha, any you thrus have suggestions?

soumodeler
03-01-2016, 15:41
The Three Eagles satellite store isnt open this year at the Budget Inn?

FatMan
03-01-2016, 15:42
Towns ain't cheap. If you want cheap stay on the trail.

Ron Haven
03-09-2016, 02:04
The outfitter at Budget Inn of Hiawassee and Franklin have an outfitter that is open now..

Puddlefish
03-09-2016, 09:32
Assuming Top of Georgia to C & J Outfitters, and the shuttle is a service of the hostel.

It costs roughly about 50 cents a mile to run a personal car. This includes everything, gas, insurance, tires, oil changes, depreciation, etc. The insurance will go up a bit if you're using that car for a business. 28 miles round trip, even more if the vehicle has to arrive from somewhere else. Driver wages, payroll taxes, accounting fees. 26 minutes travel time. Are they going to hang out for 34 minutes and wait for you to shop? Or drive back to town and make a second trip to drive you back? If, by chance, they have a second hiker making the same trip at the same time, they could make some well deserved profit.

$30 is just breaking even, with a single passenger. The shuttle could even be a loss leader, just to attract business to the hostel. If the shuttle isn't associated with the hostel, then they're going to have additional mileage and time to drive from their base just to pick you up. Shuttling at that price isn't highly profitable.

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2016, 14:16
Aaron, you asked for suggestions, so here's one: The small "satellite" outfitters that you'll find along the way can be very useful, but for any number of reasons, one would do well to take advantage of the full service shops whenever you can. In Georgia, this would mean Neel Gap, which of course is no trouble to get to, as the Trail runs thru their building. In Franklin, NC, there are two full service Outfitters, and a few days later there's a good selection at the NOC. Fontana Dam has limited stuff, but there's a full service outfitter n Gatlinburg. After you leave the Smokies, the shop in Hot Springs NC is among the best on the Trail; there's a small shop in Erwin, and several fine stores in Damascus. Be aware that after Damascus, the full-service stores are few and far between unless you go way off the Trail; your Guidebook will give you detailed information on where these stores are located. But whenever you can, patronize the bigger places when you can, it may save you some hitches or shuttle fees further down the Trail.

Dogwood
03-09-2016, 15:32
Hiawassee no longer has a gear shop and there are no options but to be charged 30 DOLLARS!!!!!!!! How much is gas? To get to topdollar of Georgia hostel. My first town day and I already had it with towns, haha, any you thrus have suggestions?

Assuming Top of Georgia to C & J Outfitters, and the shuttle is a service of the hostel.

It costs roughly about 50 cents a mile to run a personal car. This includes everything, gas, insurance, tires, oil changes, depreciation, etc. The insurance will go up a bit if you're using that car for a business. 28 miles round trip, even more if the vehicle has to arrive from somewhere else. Driver wages, payroll taxes, accounting fees. 26 minutes travel time. Are they going to hang out for 34 minutes and wait for you to shop? Or drive back to town and make a second trip to drive you back? If, by chance, they have a second hiker making the same trip at the same time, they could make some well deserved profit.

$30 is just breaking even, with a single passenger. The shuttle could even be a loss leader, just to attract business to the hostel. If the shuttle isn't associated with the hostel, then they're going to have additional mileage and time to drive from their base just to pick you up. Shuttling at that price isn't highly profitable.

Absolutely, the 1 p cost of scheduled shuttles where you're having your specific agenda catered to involves more than than gas money. That doesn't sound like a price gouging shuttle situation. As JT says plenty of other outfitters not far away from the AT.

Get used to the idea of spending money when heading into town. Few things so significantly affect a trail budget than town stops especially when desiring conveniences for yourself as a lone wolf. FWIW, I'm guessing that you'll eventually LOVE town stops for what they do provide some at little or no $ expense. Get in, preferably in the early morning, do your errands, and get out ASAP.

Ron Haven
03-10-2016, 15:02
Hikers are a tourist on foot.Why not take advantage of everything you can. Visiting towns along the trail can also be very educational. Not only do you have access to trail needs but if you are careful you can save money by going to the towns and have access to more things..

Harrison Bergeron
03-10-2016, 16:24
Are you kidding? I LOVED Hiawasee! Best trail town ever! I was even checking out the realtor's office! That place was beautiful! And so convenient, every thing within walking distance to the Holiday Inn -- which has an INDOOR POOL and costs less that $70/night! I found my entire resupply of Mountain house and oatmeal in their hiker box in the lobby!

I'm not sure what you needed an outfitter for, but there were two that I remember, both in the same block where the post office is. One was the hardware store and the other one was a boutique sort of store across the street that had hiker's gear in the back. They both had Mountain House and canister fuel. I think the grocery even had Mountain House -- Ingles, if I remember right. And the food! Hawg Heaven BBQ! Yum!

Slo-go'en
03-10-2016, 17:11
It does sound like the OP's problems were self inflicted by poor planning or poor research in not knowing what was available and how to take advantage of it.

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2016, 19:30
Hiawassee was and is a great Trail town. While the Hiawassee Inn does have a small "satellite" gear shop, it is kinda small, so the prudent 2016 hiker would do well to take care of all needs back at Neel Gap. Failing that, Franklin is about 38 miles down the line and has two excellent full-service Outfitters. But the prudent hiker would also do well to STAY in Hiawassee.....it's a small town, but has just about everything you might need. The Holiday Inn is still there, but regrettably, due to lousy behavior and ripoff artists, no longer offers a hiker discount, so it's sorta pricey for most folks. Most folks opt to stay at the Budget Inn, which is within walking distance of EVERYTHING.......pharmacy, library, laundromat, Post Office, many restaurants, including several AYCE, a convenience store, you name it. Plus you get a free ride back to the Trail in the morning so you don't have to hitch. In short, especially if you're with friends and want to share the expense of the room (which will save a ton of money), Hiawassee is one of those places where staying in town at a motel makes a lot more sense than the hostel thing, where you'll be way out of town, away from everything, you won't have much time to do all your town stuff, and you'll most likely be paying more money for your night's lodging (Split a motel room three ways and you'll be paying around 15 bucks a piece, and you won't be in a bunkroom with a crowd of folks; split the room four ways and you pay even less!). Hiker hostels can be great, and some are memorable, but things cost less down South, so in Hiawassee and Franklin, among other places (Pearisburg would be another), you're much better off for all sorts of reasons to share a motel room with a buddy or more. No fights over the remote; no waiting to get in the shower; no snoring from nine strangers; three minutes walk to all sorts of places to eat; and around sixty yards to the snack and beer store. And you save money for your next town stop. This is kind of a no brainer.

evyck da fleet
03-11-2016, 00:58
Sounds like the OP was expecting trail magic and angels at every road crossing and now understands why hikers are so thankful when someone offers them a ride or service for free. Towns and gear are expensive but a part of the hike. A little planning and the OP could have found out what he needed to now beforehand at Neels Gap.

Ron Haven
03-11-2016, 03:53
Holiday Inn is nice. The lake is magnificent in the summer..

dudeijuststarted
03-14-2016, 11:01
Stick your thumb out longer. Part of the experience.

Smoky Spoon
03-16-2016, 15:38
Thanks for the info...I appreciate it. I am one for privacy, so not always are hostels great for me, but a lone motel room will work just fine.

Hiawassee was and is a great Trail town. While the Hiawassee Inn does have a small "satellite" gear shop, it is kinda small, so the prudent 2016 hiker would do well to take care of all needs back at Neel Gap. Failing that, Franklin is about 38 miles down the line and has two excellent full-service Outfitters. But the prudent hiker would also do well to STAY in Hiawassee.....it's a small town, but has just about everything you might need. The Holiday Inn is still there, but regrettably, due to lousy behavior and ripoff artists, no longer offers a hiker discount, so it's sorta pricey for most folks. Most folks opt to stay at the Budget Inn, which is within walking distance of EVERYTHING.......pharmacy, library, laundromat, Post Office, many restaurants, including several AYCE, a convenience store, you name it. Plus you get a free ride back to the Trail in the morning so you don't have to hitch. In short, especially if you're with friends and want to share the expense of the room (which will save a ton of money), Hiawassee is one of those places where staying in town at a motel makes a lot more sense than the hostel thing, where you'll be way out of town, away from everything, you won't have much time to do all your town stuff, and you'll most likely be paying more money for your night's lodging (Split a motel room three ways and you'll be paying around 15 bucks a piece, and you won't be in a bunkroom with a crowd of folks; split the room four ways and you pay even less!). Hiker hostels can be great, and some are memorable, but things cost less down South, so in Hiawassee and Franklin, among other places (Pearisburg would be another), you're much better off for all sorts of reasons to share a motel room with a buddy or more. No fights over the remote; no waiting to get in the shower; no snoring from nine strangers; three minutes walk to all sorts of places to eat; and around sixty yards to the snack and beer store. And you save money for your next town stop. This is kind of a no brainer.

Water Rat
03-16-2016, 15:57
I absolutely do not mean this in a snotty tone... It can save you from future unpleasant surprises.

My suggestion is to go to AWOL's site and purchase the pdf version of the AT guide (http://www.shop.theatguide.com/). This will allow you to see what is ahead of you on the trail, as well as what your options might be for town stops. It won't weigh anything to carry it on your phone, and it might save you money. The awesome thing about the PDF version is that you can (when you have phone service) tap the phone number/email address on the guide and your phone will set you up to contact that service via your chosen method.

Best of luck with your hike!