PDA

View Full Version : Need a brutally honest SOBO Kit Shakedown

Balido
03-01-2016, 23:09
Estimated SOBO thru hike departure from BSP is 26 May 16 but am flexible based upon conditions. My list of kit can be found at https://lighterpack.com/r/1lm65

I need a good shakedown. No worries, y'all won't hurt my little feelings. I have some idea of items to eliminate but appreciate the opinion of more experienced AT'ers.

Most kit decisions were based on adverse weather conditions initially in the northern states then I will lighten load as I get to PA, WV & VA. Remember...this is a SOBO thru-hike.

Thanks in advance!!!

This is the big picture right now:

(minus worn clothing I have a carried weight of 32.02 lbs)
(minus 12.41 lbs of consumables I have a base weight of 19.61 lbs)

CategoryWeight
Packed Equipment
8.99 lb

Packed Kitchen
2.43 lb

Packed Consumables
12.41 lb

Packed Clothing
5.11 lb

Worn Clothing/Gear
4.9 lb

Personal Hygiene
1.03 lb

Electronics
1.54 lb

Misc. Support Items
0.51 lb

Total
36.92 oz lb g kg lb

Consumable
12.41 lb
Worn
4.75 lb
Pack Weight
19.77 lb

1azarus
03-01-2016, 23:57
Brutal: loose the lid and get a lighter knife. Have a great sobo!

DSettahr
03-02-2016, 00:06
A 19 degree bag probably isn't a bad idea for someone starting out early on, but I think you'll likely find it to be overkill once you get further south and the summer season really sets in.

Similarly, the down jacket might be nice to have for the first few weeks (possibly even through the Whites) but you'll probably send it home before too long.

Make sure the bug head net is no-see-um proof. A lot of bug nets aren't, and you'll regret not checking on this if you end up with one that isn't.

I've never carried a trowel. I always find that a good, thick stick works pretty well for digging a cat hole when I need to do so.

You probably don't need a full cookset with two pots. I do just fine with a single one liter titanium pot on my solo trips.

A full leatherman is probably overkill.

What are you carrying the castile soap for? If you're planning to use this for cleaning yourself, make sure you do it well away from any water sources (at least a few hundred feet). Even biodegradeable soap is a form of pollution if it gets in lakes, ponds, streams, and rivers.

Some people are going to suggest ditching the rain pants. While I don't always use them myself (you get wet from sweating anyways if you use them in the summer), I think they are nice to have as a wind block if needed. They are also nice to have in camp on a rainy afternoon/evening when you're trying to do camp chores.

Overall, it looks like you are generally well prepared. One thing I might add is a small, key chain compass. You don't usually need a compass to hike the AT, but you never know when you might need one. In some areas, if you step off the trail to go the bathroom, you might get turned around and lose the trail even if it's only 50 feet away. Also, above treeline in foggy conditions or inclement weather it can be easy to lose the trail as well. Having at least a small key chain compass could make a difference in these kinds of situations.

burger
03-02-2016, 00:19
You've got a ton of extra stuff. Don't leave home unless you can get your base weight under 20 lbs. Specifically:

Swap that ridiculous groundcloth for a 2 x 7 piece of polycryo window sheeting (the clear plastic stuff you put over windows).

Ditch the pad repair kit. If your pad goes, you have a crappy couple of nights and then you deal with it in town.

Sponges just get gross on the trail. Use your fingers and some water to remove the food. Your pot will be sterilized the next time you boil water.

That's a really heavy windscreen. Get a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and 2 paper clips. When the foil starts to go, ask at a restaurant in town for more foil.

AT water is pretty good--you don't need Aqua Mira and the filter. Ditch one or the other.

Any knife that weighs over 1 oz. is total overkill. Get a Leatherman Micra, Swiss Army Classic, or something similar.

A scarf? No. Leave that at home.

You don't a spare t-shirt and a spare long-sleeve shirt. Leave one at home.

You don't need convertible pants plus spare shorts. Wear your rain pants when you're doing laundry.

Trowel? There are privies at every shelter. Use them.

A half roll of TP is insane. Figure, generously, 10 squares per day.

Read on your phone and lose the kindle. Bring a small external battery which will still be lighter than the Kindle.

Please tell me you're not planning to carry the entire AT guidebook. Rip that sucker up and mail the extra pages ahead.

egilbe
03-02-2016, 07:33
Will Katahdin even be open for hiking on the 26th? It didnt open last year until June 5th. Although i think it probably will be due to it being a low snow year.

no insect repellent?

Cheyou
03-02-2016, 07:51
"Ditch the pad repair kit. If your pad goes, you have a crappy couple of nights and then you deal with it in town

how much weight savings is that . 1/4 oz. sleep crappy for that ?

Balido
03-02-2016, 08:22
WOW...I truly appreciate all the responses!!! Many mirror what I was already thinking.

1. 1azarus (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/10244-1azarus): "loose the lid and get a lighter knife". I had the lid so threw it in for comment and weight. I will ditch it and I have a lighter knife. Thanks

2. DSettahr (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/46682-DSettahr): You're thinking about bag, down jacket mirrors my thoughts. Get rid of them as I get south, same with merano base leayer. Castille soap great thought and is now gone as is 2nd pot. I have a small super light compass. Was thinking about adding it but didn't but will. Rain pants...I'm on the fence. I tend not to wear them but might be useful up north as a windbreak then ditch them later. Thanks

3. burger (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/4594-burger): Groundcloth great tip to go poly. Have used tyvek for several trips and just had it. Pad repair kit and pot scrubber gone. Sawyer filter gone, scarf gone, kindle gone. Will work on your other valuable suggestions. I used to have a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil for my old MSR stove, need to find it. Thanks

4. egilbe (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/55692-egilbe): 26 May is a goal but I'm not stuck on it. Am extremely flexible and resources would allow me to wait an extra week in the area. Phil at 100milewilderness outfitters has been a great resource. I have Permethrin insect repellent. Didn't add to list though it was in the "take"pile. will also pre-treat clothing equip.Thanks

5. Cheyou (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/57819-Cheyou): thanks for the thought...!!!

cmoulder
03-02-2016, 08:40
That Trangia is really heavy by alcohol stove standards. And you don't have a pot support.

Answer to both those problems: Zelph Starlyte (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php) with built-in pot support.

Huli
03-02-2016, 09:21
Get a rain kilt instead of the pants. Lighter, smaller and can be put on much easier.

Keep the down jacket, use it as a pillow. Nights can still get cold, it will be nice when you first wake up and are not moving yet, or when you stop and are sweaty and cold.

Don't bring permethrin! In liquid form it will decimate nature. One treatment will last the whole time as long as you keep the items out of the sun and less than 6 washes.

Balido
03-02-2016, 09:57
Thanks...looking now. Percentage wise thats a huge reduction in weight

Balido
03-02-2016, 10:00
Thanks. will look at rain kilt. have used my Columbia rain Jacket and pants on other hikes so just had it there. Others being a few hundred miles and not 2000+

Should have mentioned the permethrin was for pre-hike treatment. Will be carrying DEET 100 1 OZ

Have removed several items from list so far and will update master list as I make adjustment. Already decreased by about 4 lbs :)

Balido
03-02-2016, 10:37
"loose the lid and get a lighter knife". I had the lid so threw it in for comment and weight. I will ditch it and I have a lighter knife, the leatherman micra. Thanks

Balido
03-02-2016, 10:37
You're thinking about bag, down jacket mirrors my thoughts. Get rid of them as I get south, same with merano base leayer. Castille soap great thought and is now gone as is 2nd pot. I have a small super light compass. Was thinking about adding it but didn't but will. Rain pants...I'm on the fence. I tend not to wear them but might be useful up north as a windbreak then ditch them later. Thanks

Balido
03-02-2016, 10:38
Groundcloth great tip to go poly. Have used tyvek for several trips and just had it. Pad repair kit and pot scrubber gone. Sawyer filter gone, scarf gone, kindle gone. Will work on your other valuable suggestions. I used to have a piece ofheavy duty aluminum foil for my old MSR stove, need to find it. Thanks

Balido
03-02-2016, 10:38
26 May is a goal but I'm not stuck on it. Am extremely flexible and resources would allow me to wait an extra week in the area. Phil at 100milewilderness outfitters has been a great resource. I have Permethrin insect repellent. Didn't add to list though it was in the "take"pile. will also pre-treat clothing equip.Thanks

Balido
03-02-2016, 10:39
thanks for the thought...!!!

Gambit McCrae
03-02-2016, 10:45
12 LBS consumables seems high to me. a lbs a day is still on the high side for me.

Keep the lid, it will decrease your boiling time.

squeezebox
03-02-2016, 12:25
Keep in mind your mileage may vary.

Balido
03-03-2016, 09:14
I was going to keep the pot lid. I think what 1azarus (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/10244-1azarus) was referring to was the Pack "LID" which is also called a "lid". It's an accessory I had that goes with my pack yet weighs in at 9 OZ ( http://www.granitegear.com/lineloc-lid.html ).

I added as a "what-if" scenario. It offers a little convenience adding 7 liters of outside pocket space. I have it, used it once for quick grab n go stuff but a necessity? No. Nice to have? Maybe

I'm a pound a day hiker myself (minus water) but went 1.5 lbs as a worst case. Will adjust in spreadsheet to see the change.

Improved pack List: https://lighterpack.com/r/1lm65

Thanks & keep it coming!!!

Odd Man Out
03-03-2016, 10:00
Treat clothes (especially hat) with permethrin. Could get by with minimal light. Check out the Victorinox Ambassador knife. Just like the classic but slightly larger.

Balido
03-03-2016, 10:07
I actually have that knife stashed in the gear closet!!! thanks will consider vs micra. I've been spoiled on leatherman over the years. Have a coupe of cans of permethrin I intend to use. Nasty chemical but has saved me from most ticks over the years

bigcranky
03-03-2016, 10:16
You have a pretty good list. This is for a very early sobo hike, right?

Clothing: you have two light long sleeve and one light short sleeve shirt. A down jacket for insulation. I'd want to swap one of the l/s shirts for a light microfleece pullover, like say the Capilene 4 grid fleece. Something to wear on the trail while hiking in cool weather, since you won't want to wear the down jacket hiking. (Or swap it for a single layer 3oz wind shirt for the same use, but the microfleece has more uses.) It'll be chilly in the morning.

You'll probably end up wearing the shorts to hike and keeping the long pants for camp (bugs). Well, I would. :)

Your rain shell is significantly heavier than it needs to be, though if you already own it that's fine. If not, there are ~9oz choices that will work well.

Food: 1 pound per day for five days for the Hundred Mile Wilderness? This would not be anywhere near enough for me. Even if it was 1 pound of olive oil, that's still only ~4000 calories per day, and most backpacking food is 100-120 cal/oz, so you're getting more like 2000 cal per day. But if that has worked for you in the past, then you are the final and best judge of your food requirements. Me, I like to eat well on the trail -- reflected in my pack weight. :)

If I keep my iPhone 6+ in airplane mode, the battery will last 8-10 days with moderate use (the occasional GPS reading, photo, maybe a text on the top of a mountain). My wife uses hers for a journal, so she spends a lot of time at night writing in it, an the battery still lasts a week. So we have not ever felt the need for a portable charger. Though I can see the need if you'll be using the phone a lot every day, and/or not using airplane mode.

Good luck with the hike.

Edit: yeah, permethrin on everything. Having had Lyme disease, it sucks.

Balido
03-03-2016, 12:03
Big Cranky/Ken. Thanks for the input. Am really considering leaving rain paints since I have zippered long pants. They are heavy and I really don't care about being wet. Spent 24 yrs in the Army so cold, wet, tired and hungry are no strangers afield. BUT, I'm a civilian now and have the ability and means to overcome a lot of unnecessary intentional discomfort (if that makes sense). :)

Thought to all: Am open for rain shell recommendations

Down Jacket and/or a fleece are tough for me. I can really tolerate cold well when I'm moving so either way, I will be sending jacket back sooner rather than later and then get it back as I approach fall in the southern mountains.

In the 100 Mile Wilderness I will have a resupply dropped at Jo-Mary logging road about half-way. Typically my first week on a trail I'm not a heavy eater so am taking that into consideration. I tend to eat freeze dried (Mountain House) for Breakfast and Dinner, each about 500 cal plus Hi-cal foods during the mid-day. Not a big eater though and my field need is usually good at 2000-3000/day. Before I am chastised for eating prepared dehydrated foods keep in mind that budget allows me to eat well every day. Like you Ken, I like to unapologetically eat well on the trail.

The phone is there. I'm not journaling but am an avid reader so the Kindle app and downloaded ebooks will be welcomed in the airplane mode as will the occasional photo.

Definitely gonna bug juice my equipment.

Huli
03-03-2016, 14:46
I just got the mountain hardware alpine plasmic jacket. Have only worn it a couple time in the rain. Seems to be exactly as described. I love it.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-alpen-plasmic-ion-jacket-1616551.html?cgid=mens-jackets-shells&dwvar_1616551_variationColor=711#start=6

Balido
03-03-2016, 16:05
I just got the mountain hardware alpine plasmic jacket. Have only worn it a couple time in the rain. Seems to be exactly as described. I love it.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-alpen-plasmic-ion-jacket-1616551.html?cgid=mens-jackets-shells&dwvar_1616551_variationColor=711#start=6,

Very Nice. I like the length. I.m looking foro something in the 6-9 OZ range, about half the weight of yours. I have a columbia similar to your MHG. Thanks for the recommendation

bigcranky
03-03-2016, 16:21
I didn't carry rain pants on the Long Trail in July, but I was very happy to have my silnylon rain kilt that my wife made for me. We had some epic cold all day rainstorms, and when I tried early on to just hike and let my nylon shorts get wet, I was pretty cold and miserable. The kilt helped hold in some heat -- same with the jacket, actually. Many days I was just completely soaked head to toe, but I stayed warm enough because of the rain shell and rain kilt. (Shell is an older Montbell w/b jacket, weighs 12 oz.) Even in July we had days with highs around 50 and pouring rain.

Having a resupply in the middle of the HMW makes me less concerned about your calorie load -- was thinking you would try to get through in five days with a minimal food load and we'd find you emaciated by the side of the trail..... :)

The Marmot Essence and the OR Helium II get good reviews (http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jacket-Reviews/Ratings) and are pretty light.

bigcranky
03-03-2016, 16:27
Also, my lovely wife and hiking partner has the Zpacks cuben rain pants and likes them, so here is their rain shell (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml). It's pricey, but still not as high as some other jackets.

swisscross
03-03-2016, 16:34
List of rain jackets to consider

ZPacks
Lightheart gear
Luke's ultralite
Anti Gravity Gear
I know there are others.

On a whim I purchased a Mountain Hardware Plasmic on sale for 40 dollars.
Wetted out on first mild rain in just a few minutes.
It is my town jacket.

cmoulder
03-03-2016, 17:41
I'd add to that list the Montbell Versalite. My size M weighs 6.8oz and is large enough to accommodate some layers. It has 2 hand pockets and pit zips, elastic cinch at the hem and face (hood) and Velcro at the cuffs.

I also have an OR Helium II but I don't like the features nearly as well as those of the Versalite. It has no hand pockets, but it does have a single chest "Napoleon" pocket. Funkiest thing about the Helium II is the hood, which has an elastic cinch cord that is designed to simultaneously cinch the top part down while pulling the edges back from the face, but ends up doing neither one well. The Helium II also runs very small. The size L is about the same as the Versalite M.

Balido
03-05-2016, 11:09
I'd add to that list the Montbell Versalite. My size M weighs 6.8oz and is large enough to accommodate some layers. It has 2 hand pockets and pit zips, elastic cinch at the hem and face (hood) and Velcro at the cuffs.

I also have an OR Helium II but I don't like the features nearly as well as those of the Versalite. It has no hand pockets, but it does have a single chest "Napoleon" pocket. Funkiest thing about the Helium II is the hood, which has an elastic cinch cord that is designed to simultaneously cinch the top part down while pulling the edges back from the face, but ends up doing neither one well. The Helium II also runs very small. The size L is about the same as the Versalite M.

My admitted weak link is indeed rain gear. What I have is Columbia and fine about town but certainly too heavy for extended trail use.

I have used a lightweight poncho over the years but have grown to hate it.

On 12 March REI will have an annual garage sale so will see what I can pick up there before going all in on my rain kit.

Let me throw this at y'all...I know it sounds silly/stupid but there is a Froggs Togg suit that divides the community 50/50. It's 5.5 oz for the suit and is nothing more than tyvek. Complaints range from easy tear but proponents swear duct tape fix is simple. They also say that one could buy 10-12 Frogg Togg's for the price of one high end rain suit. Just throwing it out there for thought.

cmoulder
03-05-2016, 11:24
Get there early and be first in line for the garage sales... they can be a real madhouse!

REI always has a '20% off sale' at the same time they do the dividend checks, and that'll be soon.

Also, a very good resource for searching for used gear across several pertinent websites: Used Outdoor Gear Search (https://lwhiker.com/used-gear-search)

burger
03-05-2016, 11:42
M
Let me throw this at y'all...I know it sounds silly/stupid but there is a Froggs Togg suit that divides the community 50/50. It's 5.5 oz for the suit and is nothing more than tyvek. Complaints range from easy tear but proponents swear duct tape fix is simple. They also say that one could buy 10-12 Frogg Togg's for the price of one high end rain suit. Just throwing it out there for thought.

It's not Tyvek, it's microporous polypropylene--very breathable but like you said quite fragile (Tyvek is way stronger and not really breathable). There are other alternatives, too, like DriDucks and the one I use, O2 Rainshield.

For a trail like the AT, I think that FroggToggs etc. are perfect. They're very breathable, and because the trail is well-groomed, you shouldn't have major issues with tearing the jacket on branches or brush. I've heard that the rainpants made with these materials are too fragile to bother with because pants get more strain from motions of walking, bending, etc., but I haven't tried the pants.

Balido
03-05-2016, 21:57
It's not Tyvek, it's microporous polypropylene--very breathable but like you said quite fragile (Tyvek is way stronger and not really breathable). There are other alternatives, too, like DriDucks and the one I use, O2 Rainshield.

For a trail like the AT, I think that FroggToggs etc. are perfect. They're very breathable, and because the trail is well-groomed, you shouldn't have major issues with tearing the jacket on branches or brush. I've heard that the rainpants made with these materials are too fragile to bother with because pants get more strain from motions of walking, bending, etc., but I haven't tried the pants.

Burger, I stand corrected. yes they are polypropylne, thanks

AngryGerman
04-12-2016, 12:11
WOW; that is a lot of stuff that as you can see all those ounces added up fast! I'm an ULer/Lightweight kind of guy and to think of carrying a base weight of 19+ lbs. is just down right tiring! Coupled with 12+ LBS of consumables ugh?

No need for a trowel; many rocks that can be overturned and many sticks that can be used to dig a hole. Besides; you should be packing out your TP(LNT principle)!!! Half roll of TP, you wont be using as much when you're burning those calories; really!!! Please do not leave your TP along the trail or anywhere else but your garbage bag!!! Every time I go through the 100 mile this very issue is found and it's always at Cloud Pond or Long Pond! On my thru hike in 12' I spent three hours cleaning a groups TP up that littered the trail into Cloud Pond. Needless to say, it was not a very positive moment for that group leader when I caught up with them.

Loose the rain pants; extra t-shirt; extra shorts and convertible pants replacing with a long sleeve crew neck(not cotton) and a pair of the lightest leggings you can find. Also loose the bug net; wash your nasties w/lemon grass soup and carry a little vile of lemon grass w/you. I have absolutely no issues with bugs at all in Maine! I witnessed a British couple get destroyed because they had clothes washed in scented soap, hair and body washed with scented soap and used entirely way to much bug spray that you can smell a mile away. LEMONGRASS SOAP AND OIL ONLY!!! Don't spray your stuff w/chemicals! You'll be sweating and that crap will just saturate into your skin. Use lemongrass oil on your stuff and neck. You wont be disappointed!

Loose the extra pot, keep the lid(keeps boiling time down); loose the leatherman and replace with a micro swiss; loose the pad repair kit; replace the wind screen with aluminum foil along with the sponges and soap.

Use three 1L Platypus collapsible bladders for your water carrying 1-2L @ a time. No more than two unless cameling up before the shelter or camping spot.

32 degree bag is all you need; keep it under 22 ounces though and that ground tarp has to go. Consider tyvek or storm window plastic.
Loose the filter and just carry Aqua Mira for those sketchy water sources but keep in mind, there aren't many. I treated my water maybe a dozen times on the AT.

Compasses are not really required on the AT if you have wilderness experience but to be safe carry a wee compass. Carry only small sections of the guide book at a time. You can also double the used guide pages as TP(just crumble it up a bunch to make it soft and bammmmm; clean butt)!

I can keep going and going but I think you get my and everyone else's drift. You really need to loose about 10lbs of gear or more. Spending money on high quality UL/lightweight gear will not be a disappointing consideration and it's better to do it now then halfway down the trail or even in Gorham or wherever. I see many areas that if researched could cut you more ounces which eventually equal a full lb. Spend lots of time browsing the UL/lightweight side of the house and you'll see that you can still be comfortable and stay light while at the same time not being irresponsible to yourself and rescue crews.

AngryGerman
04-12-2016, 12:17
BTW OP;
Thanks for serving!
Climb to Glory!!

Balido
04-13-2016, 20:29
WOW; that is a lot of stuff that as you can see all those ounces added up fast! I'm an ULer/Lightweight kind of guy and to think of carrying a base weight of 19+ lbs. is just down right tiring! Coupled with 12+ LBS of consumables ugh?

No need for a trowel; many rocks that can be overturned and many sticks that can be used to dig a hole. Besides; you should be packing out your TP(LNT principle)!!! Half roll of TP, you wont be using as much when you're burning those calories; really!!! Please do not leave your TP along the trail or anywhere else but your garbage bag!!! Every time I go through the 100 mile this very issue is found and it's always at Cloud Pond or Long Pond! On my thru hike in 12' I spent three hours cleaning a groups TP up that littered the trail into Cloud Pond. Needless to say, it was not a very positive moment for that group leader when I caught up with them.

Loose the rain pants; extra t-shirt; extra shorts and convertible pants replacing with a long sleeve crew neck(not cotton) and a pair of the lightest leggings you can find. Also loose the bug net; wash your nasties w/lemon grass soup and carry a little vile of lemon grass w/you. I have absolutely no issues with bugs at all in Maine! I witnessed a British couple get destroyed because they had clothes washed in scented soap, hair and body washed with scented soap and used entirely way to much bug spray that you can smell a mile away. LEMONGRASS SOAP AND OIL ONLY!!! Don't spray your stuff w/chemicals! You'll be sweating and that crap will just saturate into your skin. Use lemongrass oil on your stuff and neck. You wont be disappointed!

Loose the extra pot, keep the lid(keeps boiling time down); loose the leatherman and replace with a micro swiss; loose the pad repair kit; replace the wind screen with aluminum foil along with the sponges and soap.

Use three 1L Platypus collapsible bladders for your water carrying 1-2L @ a time. No more than two unless cameling up before the shelter or camping spot.

32 degree bag is all you need; keep it under 22 ounces though and that ground tarp has to go. Consider tyvek or storm window plastic.
Loose the filter and just carry Aqua Mira for those sketchy water sources but keep in mind, there aren't many. I treated my water maybe a dozen times on the AT.

Compasses are not really required on the AT if you have wilderness experience but to be safe carry a wee compass. Carry only small sections of the guide book at a time. You can also double the used guide pages as TP(just crumble it up a bunch to make it soft and bammmmm; clean butt)!

I can keep going and going but I think you get my and everyone else's drift. You really need to loose about 10lbs of gear or more. Spending money on high quality UL/lightweight gear will not be a disappointing consideration and it's better to do it now then halfway down the trail or even in Gorham or wherever. I see many areas that if researched could cut you more ounces which eventually equal a full lb. Spend lots of time browsing the UL/lightweight side of the house and you'll see that you can still be comfortable and stay light while at the same time not being irresponsible to yourself and rescue crews.

Thanks for the input. I have removed all of the things you mentioned since my OP weeks ago plus had two shakedowns (one from REI and one from a 2014 UL throughhiker. My base is down to 16.34 lbs and consumable at 11 lbs. (Consumables will be high going through the 100 mile wilderness but will decrease to about 5 lbs by middle June). In July I shed another 1.5 lbs from base weight as I send my UL long underwear and down jacket back home. This gives me a 1 July base weight of 14.84. With consumables this brings me to about 20 lbs for most of the trail.

AngryGerman
04-15-2016, 20:36
OP;
That's a great base weight to enjoy the trail were you don't mind those extra miles right out the gate.
In terms of rain gear; I also made the switch over to a rain kilt like BigCranky. I can't hike in rain paints at all unless the temps are below 10 degrees but that rain kilt from Antigravity Gear I can wear all day and when packed away it weighs a stout 1.6oz.
Keep on with the tedious struggle