PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Trekking Poles

kenl
03-02-2016, 09:32
Is there an advantage to carbide tips over rubber tips on trekking poles (or rubber tips over carbide tips)? Or is it more personal preference?

In my experiences having a carbide tip slip on a rock surface can be pretty annoying. Conversely, a rubber tip typically won't provide the same "bite" in packed dirt for example.

Any and all feedback welcome. Thanks.

Tipi Walter
03-02-2016, 09:42
Titanium tips have a much better bite on all surfaces except for the occasional slip on a rock or on creek crossings on wet rocks. Just make sure on creek crossings that the tip is securely planted in the creek bottom before moving that next step.

I've had many titanium tips break off over the years and the rubber nub offers very poor purchase as compared to the titanium tip. All Hail the Tip etc etc.

Cotton Terry
03-02-2016, 09:49
I have rubber tips on my trekking poles. I found they 'stick' very well to rocky terrain. But when I'm hiking in mud, I take the rubber tips off for better traction.

Traveler
03-02-2016, 10:37
FWIW, I put on the rubber tips in fall and spring when leaves litter the treadway to avoid picking up 42,000 leaves a day. I use them in summer to reduce the impact and erosion potential alongside the treadway, unless the terrain is steep and I need the security of a pole to avoid slipping or taking a fall. I will usually not use rubber tips on long rock faces, in desert condition, or on gravel.

Old Grouse
03-02-2016, 12:02
But it's fun trying to step on the leaves to get them off your poles while still maintaining your pace. Better than Zumba!

Odd Man Out
03-02-2016, 16:13
I enjoy skewering leaves on purpose to see how many I can get. Each jab come with a little "schew...schew" sound effect. Makes the poles useless as a walking aid, but it helps beat the monotony.

Venchka
03-02-2016, 16:44
My antique Komperdell carbide tipped sticks saved my bacon and probably an ankle, leg, hip, and several other critical parts coming down the Berg Lake trail in B.C.
I hope my new (ordered a few minutes ago) Komperdell Expedition Vario 4 Carbon sticks do the same.
I have never used the rubber tip covers.

Wayne

gbolt
03-02-2016, 17:55
But it's fun trying to step on the leaves to get them off your poles while still maintaining your pace. Better than Zumba!

I don't care who you are....that's funny.

You should see my ankles; between them clashing against each other and the pole stabs when you mis step... They can become one bloody mess! Lol

TheOneGuy
03-03-2016, 00:09
This is my favorite thread.

Traveler
03-03-2016, 07:58
I don't care who you are....that's funny.

You should see my ankles; between them clashing against each other and the pole stabs when you mis step... They can become one bloody mess! Lol

Among the more embarrassing maneuvers with poles, its the misstep that causes the pole end to go behind the opposite leg from the hand holding the pole that is the worst. We call this a "Dewey" when the pole side leg cannot swing forward due to the pole being held by the opposite leg and you end up on your face, unable to break the fall well because the pole hand is also pinned down. Not sure where the name of this maneuver originated from, but it started up in common trail language of our wee group some years ago and stuck.

Doing that in front of a group of people can be very deflating, which requires a fast response like, "step back folks, this is very dangerous stuff and only trained professionals should attempt this", or something of equally self inflating quality.

Odd Man Out
03-03-2016, 10:16
I did a Dewey on my weekend 20 mile hike last fall. Didn't know it had a name. In my case I was able to extract my pole before a face plant. I was able get my leg in front of me just before going over but bwcause i was on a downhill slope my forward momentum was increased so my first step after the Dewey kept me from falling but I could stop so my second step wa the same. After about three steps I had regained control but was now moving at a full sprint and since I was going downhill I had to run at full speed for maybe 20 yards before I could stop. Fortunately the trail was straight an smooth so I was eventually able to recover. Only casualty was feeling stupid.

Tipi Walter
03-03-2016, 10:33
On my last trip I didn't do a Dewey but pulled something worse: A Kahtoola. I was coming down a rocky mountain trail in deep snow with my 85 lb pack and Kahtoola microspikes on my boots. The wet snow formed big 5 lb clumps under each boot and so of course I had no traction whatsoever and the globs hurled me to the ground in a slow-motion 5-point landing, with the pack like a gun safe taking me with it.

In slow motion I became a 5 tone twirler and spent considerable time flailing and twisting and going thru all the Kubler-Ross stages of grief before landing in a heap directly on top of my Black Diamond hiking pole. Once my heavy pack decided where it wanted to go I had to follow along.

By now I'm 15 feet off the trail and down a gully on my left side dangling in the air over my pack which is securely planted on the ground in the snow. Like a bug I squirmed and had to unclip the hipbelt and shoulder straps as there was no way I was gonna sit up with the weight I had. Point is, I landed on my hiking pole and somehow it didn't snap in two and impale my small intestines. Nor were any bones broken.

Venchka
03-03-2016, 10:38
I'm glad you emerged unscathed Walter.

Wayne

SkeeterPee
03-03-2016, 13:31
I was using rubber tips and they worked well on non rocky trails. First trip in rocky PA and I lost both tips in a day. They were grabbed between rocks, came off, and then I could not find them. Been going tip only since.

gbolt
03-03-2016, 18:55
Is a "half dewy" when the pole doesn't get lodged between the legs but through a 1/2 turn you end up with the pole wedged between your butt cheeks? Done that move before!

RockDoc
03-04-2016, 01:09
Please use rubber tips. Keep the woods a quiet place.

Tahoeturner
03-04-2016, 13:57
I've only ever used rubber tips and they have done the job for me. They are quieter and I'll have a spare set in my pack.

atraildreamer
03-06-2016, 18:26
On my last trip I didn't do a Dewey but pulled something worse: A Kahtoola. I was coming down a rocky mountain trail in deep snow with my 85 lb pack and Kahtoola microspikes on my boots. The wet snow formed big 5 lb clumps under each boot and so of course I had no traction whatsoever and the globs hurled me to the ground in a slow-motion 5-point landing, with the pack like a gun safe taking me with it.

In slow motion I became a 5 tone twirler and spent considerable time flailing and twisting and going thru all the Kubler-Ross stages of grief before landing in a heap directly on top of my Black Diamond hiking pole. Once my heavy pack decided where it wanted to go I had to follow along.

By now I'm 15 feet off the trail and down a gully on my left side dangling in the air over my pack which is securely planted on the ground in the snow. Like a bug I squirmed and had to unclip the hipbelt and shoulder straps as there was no way I was gonna sit up with the weight I had. Point is, I landed on my hiking pole and somehow it didn't snap in two and impale my small intestines. Nor were any bones broken.

Got any video of this? :confused: :D

Tipi Walter
03-06-2016, 21:46
Got any video of this? :confused: :D

No video of the fall but I did readjust my attitude and developed a new gait and a better technique for hiking with a heavy pack---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZCyjB3VFwA

NOTE TO NEWBIES: The first 12 seconds of this video are correct and should be duplicated. Disregard the rest of the video as old habits (i.e. a normal gait) are hard to break. And yes, I did fall immediately after returning to a normal walk.

rocketsocks
03-06-2016, 22:03
Lol that's funny. Reminded me of the of an old rhyme

"there was a crooked man"
who walked a crooked mile
he had a crooked Cain and he had a crooked smile

cant remember the rest.