PDA

View Full Version : protein powder and electrolyte powder

backtrack213
03-02-2016, 10:02
How do you mix these if you use them on trail? I usually use a shaker bottle but I don't want to carry the extra weight. Anybody have any suggestions?

flatgrounder
03-02-2016, 10:10
What I'm trying this weekend is premixing my chocolate whey protein in with my instant oatmeal in freezer bags. Cook in the bag.

backtrack213
03-02-2016, 10:13
What I'm trying this weekend is premixing my chocolate whey protein in with my instant oatmeal in freezer bags. Cook in the bag.
Let me know how this works out!

Malto
03-02-2016, 11:35
I have done about 150 lbs of Maltodextrin mix on the trail as well as copious mounts of electrolytes.

1) Electrolytes are both mixed into my Malto mix as well as filled into capsules. I bought a little capsule filler that makes that easy. The amount in the Malto mix is more a base amount and then I vary the capsules accordingly.
2) I current pack the Malto mix out into 20 oz. water bottles which makes them easier to pour into my 32 gator aid bottle for mixing. For my thru a bagged up hundreds of 300 calorie bags and poured then into the gator aid bottle.
3) I suspect mixing will be as inconsistent with protein powder as Malto but generally it mixes much better with warmer water than cold. I would generally mix the powder in the evening for the next morning to help with that issue.

one question. Why the protein powder? carbs is much more efficient than protein for fuel. get it if it to maintain a baseline level of protein. If that's the case timing is everything.

flatgrounder
03-02-2016, 12:02
My use is just to supplement. Just finishing cancer treatment.

Mouser999
03-02-2016, 12:46
I just use NUUN for electrolytes. 12 tabs in a tube, just add to a water bottle

Backpackerjohnson
03-02-2016, 13:52
This is also what I do. I hope I can find enough along the way, I've noticed that drinking something other than just water really helps me.

kimbur96
03-02-2016, 13:56
This may be an option too for electrolytes, it's what I use when running. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160302/1a088bca998d72c2241d28087992771e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squeezebox
03-02-2016, 14:08
Just don't too much of it and throw your metabolism out of wack. I've seen it happen.

Puddlefish
03-02-2016, 14:22
I experimented with a cocoa/powdered milk/whey protein powder using a zip lock bag as a shaker/mixer, even being careful they tended to pop open and make a mess. I suspect it was the residue of fine powder along the seal that prevented a solid and reliable seal.

I ended up just mixing it in a cup with a spoon and drinking the gritty, poorly mixed concoction.

backtrack213
03-02-2016, 15:17
I have done about 150 lbs of Maltodextrin mix on the trail as well as copious mounts of electrolytes.

1) Electrolytes are both mixed into my Malto mix as well as filled into capsules. I bought a little capsule filler that makes that easy. The amount in the Malto mix is more a base amount and then I vary the capsules accordingly.
2) I current pack the Malto mix out into 20 oz. water bottles which makes them easier to pour into my 32 gator aid bottle for mixing. For my thru a bagged up hundreds of 300 calorie bags and poured then into the gator aid bottle.
3) I suspect mixing will be as inconsistent with protein powder as Malto but generally it mixes much better with warmer water than cold. I would generally mix the powder in the evening for the next morning to help with that issue.

one question. Why the protein powder? carbs is much more efficient than protein for fuel. get it if it to maintain a baseline level of protein. If that's the case timing is everything.
I personally think for the amount of work you put on your body hiking everyday extra protein will help with recovering faster.

Crabapple
03-02-2016, 18:34
I mixed protein powder, cocoa powder, and coconut powder in zip-lock bags before the hike as part of my breakfast...one bag for each day. It's important that the powder doesn't get into the seal before closing the bag, otherwise they'll burst open. Also, be careful where/how you pack them in your pack. On the hike, I would cut off a small corner of the baggie with my pocket-knife scissors, and force the powder mix into an empty plastic (vitamin water) bottle and then add water. I reused the bottle until I got to town, and then bought a new bottle at the gas station.

mississippi_dan
03-02-2016, 18:55
I use a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle for a shaker bottle. These weigh about 1.2 ounces empty. Use it as an additional water bottle to help to keep it clean.

Dan

Malto
03-02-2016, 20:15
I personally think for the amount of work you put on your body hiking everyday extra protein will help with recovering faster.

No quarrel with that at all. Protein, especially at the end of the day, is I believe one of the keys to being able to sustain maximum output day after day.

as far as electrolytes go, there is no need for expensive products. You can mix you own at a fraction of the cost. recipe is here. http://www.postholer.com/journal/Pacific-Crest-Trail/2011/gg-man/2011-01-28/Fueling-the-Engine/19697

Turk6177
03-02-2016, 20:47
I use a 20 oz gatorade bottle to shake my coffee and hot chocolate in in the morning. I also use this bottle to strap to my pack to drink from as I am walking. I don't know why you couldn't use one of these. Maybe you can bring one of those metal spring balls to help it mix up and store it in your cook pot.

Offshore
03-03-2016, 09:13
I just use NUUN for electrolytes. 12 tabs in a tube, just add to a water bottle

Costco has Nuun on their website at a good price - $21 for 63 tablets, shipped. They are in individual pouches, but if you wanted, you could repackage them into a used Nuun tube.
http://www.costco.com/nuun-Active-Hydration%2C-63-Electrolyte-Drink-Tablets-.product.100129588.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=nuun&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

2NewKnees
03-05-2016, 22:48
I think I would just carry the shaker bottle. You can use it for drinking water of course as well. And I am going to look into how you can buy the individual pouches of protein powder mix by Muscle Milk. I use these for myself and my son as a supplement. Never thought about using them on the trail til this topic came up. It's a good idea, Thanks.

jaso23v
03-06-2016, 06:46
saltstick tabs are a good option for runners and hikers I think.

nsherry61
03-06-2016, 13:11
A lot of backpackers use plastic peanut-butter "jars" to pre-hydrate dried food, to mix non-cooked food in, to drink out of etc. Pick the size you want, eat the peanut-butter, then use it as a versatile, wide-mouth, ultra-light, water tight, food and drink container.

MuddyWaters
03-06-2016, 13:18
When you eat 4000 calories per day, you will be getting adequate protein without the hassle from tuna, nuts, peanut butter, jerky, and milk powder. Foods like quinoa also have complete protein.

Puddlefish
03-06-2016, 13:32
When you eat 4000 calories per day, you will be getting adequate protein without the hassle from tuna, nuts, peanut butter, jerky, and milk powder. Foods like quinoa also have complete protein.

I find the long cooking times, and cleanup for quinoa to be more of a hassle as it doesn't work in my lazy cook in the bag system.

Venchka
03-06-2016, 13:48
I find the long cooking times, and cleanup for quinoa to be more of a hassle as it doesn't work in my lazy cook in the bag system.

I recently found bags of ready to eat quinoa at Walmart of all places.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

ralph23
03-06-2016, 14:07
I have zero idea why anyone is supplementing salt intake while hiking. Most commonly eaten foods on the trail are packed! with sodium. And salt loss only becomes an issue with excessive sweating for hours on end.

Protein supplementation makes sense for thru hikers to try and maintain some muscle mass.

Puddlefish
03-06-2016, 14:10
I recently found bags of ready to eat quinoa at Walmart of all places.

Wayne

Dried and lightweight, or just kind of pre-cooked and dumped in a pouch at full weight with liquid still in it? Either way, thanks for the info.

Puddlefish
03-06-2016, 14:14
I have zero idea why anyone is supplementing salt intake while hiking. Most commonly eaten foods on the trail are packed! with sodium. And salt loss only becomes an issue with excessive sweating for hours on end.

Protein supplementation makes sense for thru hikers to try and maintain some muscle mass.

Probably depends on their trail diet. I consider a Knorr side to be a sodium supplement, so I wouldn't take additional supplements.

Venchka
03-06-2016, 21:14
Dried and lightweight, or just kind of pre-cooked and dumped in a pouch at full weight with liquid still in it? Either way, thanks for the info.

As I recall, it was dry. I'm going back to that Walmart in a couple weeks. I will investigate and purchase if I think that it will work for backpacking. Review to follow. That store also had 12 ounce cans of NIDO whole milk. The first time I have found those. I bought one.

Wayne

Malto
03-06-2016, 22:19

first, electrolytes are more than just sodium. Second, different people react differently to electrolyte loss. It took me a couple years to dial in electrolytes. Before I did, I had very bad cramping and a number of other reactions, none of which were good. Third, sweating hours on end sounds an awful lot like a thru hike.

while you may no idea, some of us do.

ralph23
03-09-2016, 07:53
first, electrolytes are more than just sodium. Second, different people react differently to electrolyte loss. It took me a couple years to dial in electrolytes. Before I did, I had very bad cramping and a number of other reactions, none of which were good. Third, sweating hours on end sounds an awful lot like a thru hike.

while you may no idea, some of us do.

What other electrolytes are you worried about? Sodium is the only one lost with vigorous exercise. There are a handful of others the body may lose in small amounts with profuse sweating. But they are easily replenished by a balanced diet. There is a lot of research out there about the body's ability to naturally balance our electrolytes. Recent data has even led many ultra marathoners to cut way back on sodium supplementation.

While there is plenty of anecdotal evidence of electrolytes helping with cramps the science is still out on that decision. N does not =1. General cramping has to do more with overworked muscles.

Lastly, the sweat rate of a hiker is minimal, especially compared to an ultra runner. With that in mind, and the reality of a high salt diet on the trail, sodium supplementation is rarely warranted. Again, in your specific case you may find it beneficial. But for the vast majority of people we should not be recommending or advocating sodium supplementation.

AlyontheAT2016
03-09-2016, 12:36
So what about when it's 90 degrees in the middle of summer somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic states and I'm sweating profusely for multiple days in a row? Is drinking water the only thing to do? I always thought that at least a minimal dosage of electrolytes could be beneficial in that scenario.

Strummystick
03-10-2016, 13:49
Mix it up the night before in 20oz water bottle ..... Wake up/shake again - chug as you start hiking :banana

Super Protein Breakfast Mix
[just add 16-20oz. water]
(tastes like “Yoohoo “or “Starbuck’s Mocha Drink”)
½ cp "Nido brand" instant whole milk 320c
1 envelope of “Carnation Breakfast Essentials” 130c
1 daily dose of “ON Gold Standard Whey Protein Mix 120c
optional 1 tsp. inst. coffee for a wake up caffeine jolt
[pack at home in a “snack size" zip lock bag]
Packed weight 4.3oz (570 total calories !!!!!)