PDA

View Full Version : filtered water bottles

MedicineMan
01-27-2003, 01:08
Just took the plunge. Yesterday recieved a water bottle with built in filter. I have thought about it for a long time, been using KI or Chlorox, had used Katadyn filters in the past but finally realized that the filter bottles have there place. I chose the 'Aquamira' brand over the more expensive competitors like Katahdin and got a spare filter while ordering. My thining is this...one can scoop up and 'camel up' from almost any source while the water in the bladder is 'cooking' with KI or aquamira or chorine. It will be Feb. before I can trailtest it so a report will be coming post that hike...the motivator is our paddel trip to the Okee. swamp in that same month and the second to last hike we did in December when we got very DRY and drank from a source that maybe you wouldnt have. I have always believed that most cases of giardia and others are careless hygeine practices---you know, the 'miss-wipes post potty' but Giardia is out there. The filter bottle's filter is rated at 60 gallons and when you think about it that is a lot of water and the speed with which you can use one rules compared to pump filters or chemicals.......

RagingHampster
01-27-2003, 10:31
My first need was rated to 100gal I believe. I got something like 50 from what I remember, and that was a big filter. I'd have a backup plan...

Trail Yeti
01-27-2003, 19:45
I carried one of those aquamira bottles on my hike from NOC to Damscus. It was really handy...nice to have in the south where there is plenty of h2o. Good idea to use that and aqua mira, that way you have water to drink immediately and can treat your other water.
I would definately use one again. I switched to an inline in damscus because I could gravity feed water and not worry about filtering.

Happy
01-27-2003, 21:24
I also use the Aqua Mira filter bottle and have been pleased so far, as it enables me to drink at stream crossings where I don"t have the need to fill my blatter....slower process, but also doubles as my bottle for trails drinks and overnight in the tent/shelter.

Streamweaver
01-28-2003, 00:22
I have a filter bottle made by Life Spring I found it at my local fly shop for 24 bucks so I thought it was worth trying. I love it!! I usually carry another waterbottle with me so after I drink my fill at a stop I refill the filterbottle and the spare one litre bottle . when the filterbottle is empty i just refill it from the spare bottle, no need to treat it. and when Im ready to head to camp I just fill my 2 gallon waterbag and refill the filter from that at night and have cooking water too. Streamweaver

MedicineMan
01-30-2003, 03:04
I used a SWA inline gravity filter for quite a while but the darned thing kept getting clogged up, then back to chemicals....no problem with KI or even Chlorox but I did like the idea of instant water from the many criks we cross while a bigger big zip platupus load is 'cooking'....next hike I will try the Aqua-mira chemicals to see what they are all about.