PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness permits and a couple other pre-thru q's

EasyStrider2012
03-02-2016, 14:59
What, if any wilderness permits should one have before the start of a thru? I'm assuming thru-hikers can obtain all needed permits along the way but I don’t want this assumption to disappoint me, especially in Glacier. Also, are there any places that require the carrying of bear canisters? Rocky Mountain National Park’s website says all hikers have to carry one, but I’ve never heard this from anyone. Do they require and enforce this, and anywhere else on the CDT? Any one got any other pre-thru tips or advice that may be overlooked? Thanks in advance.

DuneElliot
03-02-2016, 15:11
You are not required to carry a bear canister in Yellowstone or surrounding areas, but they do require you to hang food OR store it in a bear-proof container. Yellowstone also requires backcountry camping permits. Some information here: http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/campw_bears.html
I don't know which Wyoming wilderness areas the CDT travels through specifically, but I believe all designated wilderness areas in Wyoming require a voluntary permit registration (no cost and usually available at trail heads). It just keeps track of numbers and usage in the wilderness areas, and as a safety precaution.

I believe the same applies for Glacier, regarding food storage...it must be hung: http://www.ultimateglacierpark.com/Glacier/campingregulations.html

I can't answer many questions about the southern part, but am very familiar with the area north of the Wyoming state line to Canada

bearcreek
03-02-2016, 15:30
Photo taken when we hiked through Glacier NP

RMNP requires it and they strictly enforce it, but only if you camp overnight in the park. There are two official CDT routes through RMNP and the shorter one is easily done in a day so no canister needed. The other is longer, higher, and much nicer. Some people have done it in a day, but most spend one night so a canister is required. You also have to reserve a campsite at one of the many designated campgrounds along the way before beginning your hike. When I hiked the long route I rented a canister from a sporting goods store in Grand Lake.

The rest of the CDT is your choice, except Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, which have a combination of metal boxes and hanging wires. If you bring a hanging rope you will always be in compliance. Wilderness areas do not have any regulations, but I would strongly suggest that you use some sort of bearproof system. I use a Ursack and so far that has worked well.

Undoubtably, someone will respond to this post and recount how they slept with their food with no issues, but I think that is reckless and socially irresponsible. Bears are fast learners, and once they discover that they can get food from campers they won't stop doing it. Ultimately, the bear is destroyed and that is a shame when really the problem was caused by people.

Black Range black bear.

bearcreek
03-02-2016, 15:57
BTW, we had the good luck to view bears in every state thru which the trail passes.