PDA

View Full Version : Food drops

Barricade
03-02-2016, 18:05
Doing 30 days NOBO in April...
Hope to get through the smokies by the end of the month.

Has anyone got an idea of where for mail drops to get me to the 30 days?

Im figuring 5 or so...but havent got a clue where to stagger them out.

Help..?

kayak karl
03-02-2016, 18:41
Do you have a trail guide?

George
03-02-2016, 19:13
do you have any desire to search the articles/other 100 threads on this?

Barricade
03-02-2016, 19:38
I have the thru hikers companion...?

map man
03-02-2016, 19:49
If you have decided to do five, and Davenport Gap at the far end of the Smokies is your destination, mailing them to Neels Gap (the hostel/outfitter right at the gap), Dick's Creek Gap (Top of Georgia Hostel), Franklin, Fontana and Gatlinburg should space them out about as evenly as possible. Your Companion will tell you how many miles apart those places are (to give you an idea of how much food to put in each drop) and give addresses and phone numbers for businesses at those locations willing to hold mail drops.

bigcranky
03-02-2016, 23:19
The Companion is good, lots of info. (Disclosure: OK, I'm biased, I'm a volunteer section editor.)

Roughly speaking that's 250 miles. So, six food supplies -- one to start, and five more, one every ~40 miles. Look in the Companion and figure out what towns are about every 40 miles. Or so.

I would go for Neels Gap, Hiawassee, Franklin, and Fontana Dam (either at the PO or at the Hike Inn, but be aware you need to stay at the Hike Inn for them to accept your maildrop. I like Jeff and Nancy and recommend a stay there.) I guess that's only four -- maybe add a small one at Nantahala Outdoor Center?

Note that all these places have resupply available if you want.