PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel 48?

maddog5150
03-02-2016, 18:46
Anyone have experience with an Osprey Kestrel 48? I see tons of comments on the Exos and Atmos AG models, but not much love for the kestrel.

I've been going back and forth between the Atmos AG 50 and the kestrel 48. Can't decide..... I tried them both on at REI with 20lbs and they both felt good. The Atmos felt good overall, but the hip belt was not as comfortable. I wanted to like the Atmos AG, but I fear it might be gimmicky. The kestrel seems to be a more "standard" design. That's not necessarily better, but maybe seemed more proven?

Anyone have experience with both?

Pastor Bryon
03-02-2016, 21:35
I have a Kestrel 48. I like it, good weight distribution and lots of pockets. Looking at the description for the Atmos 50, having the floating lid would be nice. Looks like its design gains a little more airflow, but also has some of that curved look to it because of the frame.

My Kestrel has about 125 miles on it, has done great for me. You're right, nothing fancy, but the multiple pockets and cinching possibilities are really nice. Only complaint I would have is that the side vertical pockets really don't hold a lot.

Sorry I don't have experience with both, but as to the Kestrel, I'm pleased. If it was between it and the Atmos, might come down to price for me. I think you'll be happy with either because the differences are the kind of thing you can just adjust to, they don't change what you can or can't do.

maddog5150
03-02-2016, 21:42
Thanks for that feedback. Also noticed they changed some things on the 2016 kestrel. Now it only has 1 side vertical pocket. The other side is a a vertical zipper that offers almost full length access to the main compartment of the pack.

theoilman
03-02-2016, 22:44
I have a 4 or 5 year old Kestral 58 (I don't think they make it in the 58 any more), but when I got it I tried on the Atmos too. I found the Atmos has a much lighter belt setup and the Kestral belt is wider and padded better. I carry around 90% of the weight on the waist and the better belt made up my mind. They both had about the same shoulder belts.

bigcranky
03-02-2016, 23:02
I have a Kestrel daypack, the 32 I think. Nice pack, comfortable. I use it when I need to carry a ton of camera gear on a dayhike.

What are you going to to use it for?

md1486
03-03-2016, 11:15
I have a Kestrel 58 with over 150 miles with it and love it so far. Good weight distribution. One negative point is that, for me, the waist belt is quite difficult to access while wearing the pack.

illabelle
03-03-2016, 12:11
My daughter has a Kestrel 48. A year ago I was in the market for a new pack and looked at many different ones. Ended up getting one just like hers (but a different color). I do like all the pockets. Really helps to keep things organized and accessible. Another nice thing about the Kestrel is that when we fly, it's small enough to be carry-on.

My only complaint about the Kestrel is that the capacity is a little low for me, so I still use my larger Deuter for some trips.

maddog5150
03-03-2016, 16:56
What are you going to to use it for?

Looking for a mid range kind of bag. Something that can be used for day hikes (carrying extra gear for the kids) as well a short 3-4 night trips with the wife.

I have not made the hop to full ultra light yet, but learning to cut weight where I can. Most of my camping so far has been during motorcycle touring so weight was never a concern. Volume was important as packing space on a bike is limited, but the weight not so much.

Looking to backpack camp more now. I'm normally a hammock guy, but my wife is still more comfortable in a tent so my backpacking trips with her will still involve a tent, but at least we can share that load.

Pastor Bryon
03-04-2016, 21:42
If they've made one of the side vertical pockets an entry to the main pocket that's a plus to me. For reference, I have done 3 day hikes and less with mine. Planning to do some 4-5 day outings this year and don't anticipate too much trouble getting it to fit. The outer straps and loops give you plenty of options to attach stuff to the outside.

maddog5150
03-05-2016, 19:47
Sounds like it's a good match for my needs. Thanks for the info.