PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pads

flatgrounder
03-03-2016, 16:11
any cons to the neoair trekker?

Venchka
03-03-2016, 19:12
Similar material as the Xtherm - more durable. A Pro in my book. Full rectangle - either Pro or Con as needs and tent floor shapes vary.
The 25" wide x 47" long model is interesting. I didn't know that it existed. Side sleepers who can tolerate the short length might like it.
R-3. Enough until it gets down into the teens or below.

Wayne

Rocket Jones
03-03-2016, 21:40
I have two. A standard length and width one, and the torso model that Wayne mentioned. I like them a lot. The minor weight increase over the regular NeoAir is well worth it for the extra durability, and completely mitigated if you can sleep on the shorty. They pack up very compactly too.

Vegan Packer
03-03-2016, 23:48
I have a Trekker and an XLite. The Trekker is on the heavy side, but it is very comfortable. I have moved it from my pack to the car camping roster. Other than the weight (and possibly an issue for those that have limited tent floor space), it is a great mat.

I moved to the XLite, and I really didn't feel like I was losing as much space as I was worried that I would be giving up. With the weight savings over the Trekker, this is now my backpacking mat of choice.

shelb
03-04-2016, 00:02
Is it loud when you roll or move?

flatgrounder
03-04-2016, 10:08
thanks for the info. i need the extra comfort. my last pad weighed 5lbs.

bigcranky
03-04-2016, 12:40
I used a Thermarest Prolite 4 for years, thought it was comfortable enough. But I traded it for a Neoair while hiking the Long Trail because we had to stay in shelters in several places, and the Neoaitr was way, way more comfortable. So I've been using it now for about 18 months and love it.

Vegan Packer
03-04-2016, 14:57
Is it loud when you roll or move?

No. The Trekker used to be reported as being very noisy, but they changed the design a year or so ago, and that improved things markedly. I have never had a noise issue with my XLite.

This being said, I now suspect that another poster on another thread may have come up with the answer for why there are still reports of the XLite (there aren't many reports on the Trekker, these days, one way or the other) having noise issues. It could be that the noise issue happens when people inflate the pads so that they are on the softer side. My guess is that this allows the materials that reflect the heat to move more, and that makes the noise. I inflate my pad to the max. This could be why I don't have the noise problem that others report.

rocketsocks
03-04-2016, 15:11
I pay three dollars plus shipping for naughty noisy neo's that hold air!

Venchka
03-05-2016, 00:56
No. The Trekker used to be reported as being very noisy, but they changed the design a year or so ago, and that improved things markedly. I have never had a noise issue with my XLite.

This being said, I now suspect that another poster on another thread may have come up with the answer for why there are still reports of the XLite (there aren't many reports on the Trekker, these days, one way or the other) having noise issues. It could be that the noise issue happens when people inflate the pads so that they are on the softer side. My guess is that this allows the materials that reflect the heat to move more, and that makes the noise. I inflate my pad to the max. This could be why I don't have the noise problem that others report.

3 points about my silent Xtherm Large:

1. Purchased during an REI Spring sale in 2014. Internal changes somewhere along the line maybe?
2. Size Large. Side sleeper. I never roll on to the extreme edges which do make a brief, soft crinkly sound when I roll off of the pad to get up.
3. Minimum inflation. Just enough air to keep me from touching bottom. I can't imagine maximum inflation with any air mattress. I'm surprised the seams have not burst.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Vegan Packer
03-05-2016, 05:45
3 points about my silent Xtherm Large:

1. Purchased during an REI Spring sale in 2014. Internal changes somewhere along the line maybe?
2. Size Large. Side sleeper. I never roll on to the extreme edges which do make a brief, soft crinkly sound when I roll off of the pad to get up.
3. Minimum inflation. Just enough air to keep me from touching bottom. I can't imagine maximum inflation with any air mattress. I'm surprised the seams have not burst.

Mine is also a large. It is also only about a year old. So, we at least have two out of three in common.

cmoulder
03-05-2016, 12:39
I really like the 47x25 trekker. I put my pack under my legs and therefore don't need full length and save a few ounces in the process. I really love the extra width because elbows dangling off the sides really annoys the living crap out of me. I also like the rectangular shape and the horizontal baffles which do a great job keeping my EE quilt pad straps in place. I was lucky enough recently to latch onto one of the old rectangular NeoAir Xlites in the L/W size and was able to cut it down to the exact dimensions of the Trekker. I'll use this in warmer weather because it is a little less bulky and also 2.65 oz lighter.

Venchka
03-05-2016, 23:20
Mine is also a large. It is also only about a year old. So, we at least have two out of three in common.

Let some air out. Sleep well.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Vegan Packer
03-06-2016, 03:35
Let some air out. Sleep well.

Whenever I have let some of the air out, anytime that I roll over or move, I feel like I am bottoming out.