PDA

View Full Version : March 1 Start - Welcome to the AT - GA Snow!

FatMan
03-03-2016, 16:46
I feel kind of bad today as while I was out on the trail I warned the the 15 or so thru-hikers that there was rain in the forecast and being only in the mid 30s and windy it would be real important to cover up and stay dry when it started. Well precipitation did start around 1pm as expected, but the temps up here at elevation dropped and we already have 4+ inches of snow at Grassy Gap (just north of Gooch Gap).

I personally prefer snow to rain at these temps but no forecasts called for snow. Most of the hikers were already complaining about how cold and windy it was. Just a classic example of needing to be prepared for anything regardless of forecasts. I hope they all handle this bump in the road and get properly prepared for the inevitable snow this time of year further north.

The Cleaner
03-03-2016, 17:10
A few years ago it snowed 14" on March 19th here about 26 miles north of Hot Springs NC.It takes a few days to melt too and my freeze into ice on shaded north slopes.Next week it is supposed to be in the mid 70s by Wednesday here in Greeneville.Subtract 10-15* for the high ridges which the AT mostly follows.Already many NOBOs have passed through this area and are getting snowed on again today.

TNhiker
03-03-2016, 17:26
and cant forget the Blizzard Of 93, which hit the second week of March.......

and thrus in the Smokys had to be airlifted out........

(i was on the road trying to see the grateful dead in richfield during that blizzard)

Lone Wolf
03-03-2016, 17:40
i left Woody gap this mornin' at 9am. good thing

Slo-go'en
03-03-2016, 18:06
It seems like there has been more snow down south then up here in NH this winter. Couple more days of winter, then it's back to spring like temps here in the Whites.

JaketheFake
03-03-2016, 18:26
and cant forget the Blizzard Of 93, which hit the second week of March.......

and thrus in the Smokys had to be airlifted out........

(i was on the road trying to see the grateful dead in richfield during that blizzard)

Hiking out in the cold rain and snow, rain and snow....

bigcranky
03-03-2016, 21:38
I've had it both ways in Georgia in March -- really nice one time, and freaking cold the other. (The third time was in June, and it was unseasonably cold the first two nights, with frost on our tarps. In June.)

WILLIAM HAYES
03-03-2016, 21:43
anything can happen weather wise in the mountains in march

Tipi Walter
03-03-2016, 21:44
Last March I needed my headnet for the bugs. Now it's snowing. Personal rule of thumb? Always take your full winter kit in March. Plus, I would expect AT backpackers in March to bail into towns at the first sign of snow or cold.