PDA

View Full Version : Trailcast is back!!!

Mike
12-20-2005, 15:49
I just noticed that my podcatching software has downloaded a new episode of Trailcast. It includes interviews with Miss Janet and Jan Leitschuh. Length is over an hour.

If you havent tried it before, go to www.trailcast.org and download episodes one at a time and listen to them at your leisure. Or download some good podcatching software like podcatcher on a stick or doppler or itunes. With one of those you just have to put in the address http://feeds.feedburner.com/Trailcast into the software. Every time you catch up your feeds your podcatching software will go out and check at trailcast to see if there are any new episodes. If there are new episodes your software will download that episode to your computer or mp3 player.

Great to see Trailcast back in action!

TJ aka Teej
12-20-2005, 16:52
Nice to hear the return of Miss Janet and Liteshoe's debut!

Who'd Whiteblazers like to hear next on the podcasts?
Steve the Ferryman? Laurie Potteiger?

daddylonglegs
12-20-2005, 21:05
I've been waiting for months for a new podcast! I heard it a few days ago and cannot wait for the next one!

lobster
12-20-2005, 21:10
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I want to hear Pirate</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I w

hustler
12-20-2005, 23:43
Mike, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have a long drive over the holidays and I look forward to listening to a few hiking podcasts. I think they should interview Squeaky as soon as he reaches Springer. I would like to hear what that dude has to say.

Red Cake
12-21-2005, 18:11
Howdy Hikers,
I meant to make this announcement earlier this week, but Christmas chaos continues.. Yes yes yes...! Trailcast is back. Things in post-Katrina/Rita Baton Rouge, LA have slowed down enough lately that I have been able to reclaim some of my leisure time-- at least enough to get Trailcast back online.. I still have a steady flow of displaced friends and Red Cross volunteers living in my home, and my Red Cross volunteer time has gotten a wee bit out of control, but life has not been boring, heh...

Sooooo sorry for the 3 month hiatus, and many many thanks to those of you who emailed me with supportive words and concern about my state of affairs.

I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to interview these people, and I had been wanting to talk to Jan Leitschuh since I started Trailcast. Miss Janet is a great interviewer, and I'm looking forward to doing more with her. In fact, we have lined up an interview with Jack Tarlin sometime soon after Christmas-- most likely next week.

Last Sunday evening, Miss Janet called me up and told me that Mat Hazley (Squeaky) was at her hostel and that she had told him about Trailcast, and that he was willing to do an interview.. Wow..! Half an hour later, I was interviewing him. For those of you who have not heard of Squeaky, he is about to complete a SOBO AT thru-hike, which means he will have hiked the Triple crown in a single calendar year..!!! This guy typically hikes 40-45 miles a DAY..! He's a very soft-spoken gentleman and downplays this, and seemed genuinely surprised at how much attention he has gotten. I'll have that interview available Christmas Day..

I upgraded my recording setup and decided to distribute the mp3 files at a higher quality. I think the audio quality is noticeably better. I have a link to a goofy little video I made describing the Trailcast "studio" on the web site. I am also in the process of re-encoding the older programs to higher quality mp3s.

Merry Christmas and be safe..

-Bob [email protected]
www.trailcast.org (http://www.trailcast.org)

Squeaky 2
12-22-2005, 02:06
Howdy Hikers,
I meant to make this announcement earlier this week, but Christmas chaos continues.. Yes yes yes...! Trailcast is back. Things in post-Katrina/Rita Baton Rouge, LA have slowed down enough lately that I have been able to reclaim some of my leisure time-- at least enough to get Trailcast back online.. I still have a steady flow of displaced friends and Red Cross volunteers living in my home, and my Red Cross volunteer time has gotten a wee bit out of control, but life has not been boring, heh...

Sooooo sorry for the 3 month hiatus, and many many thanks to those of you who emailed me with supportive words and concern about my state of affairs.

I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to interview these people, and I had been wanting to talk to Jan Leitschuh since I started Trailcast. Miss Janet is a great interviewer, and I'm looking forward to doing more with her. In fact, we have lined up an interview with Jack Tarlin sometime soon after Christmas-- most likely next week.

Last Sunday evening, Miss Janet called me up and told me that Mat Hazley (Squeaky) was at her hostel and that she had told him about Trailcast, and that he was willing to do an interview.. Wow..! Half an hour later, I was interviewing him. For those of you who have not heard of Squeaky, he is about to complete a SOBO AT thru-hike, which means he will have hiked the Triple crown in a single calendar year..!!! This guy typically hikes 40-45 miles a DAY..! He's a very soft-spoken gentleman and downplays this, and seemed genuinely surprised at how much attention he has gotten. I'll have that interview available Christmas Day..

I upgraded my recording setup and decided to distribute the mp3 files at a higher quality. I think the audio quality is noticeably better. I have a link to a goofy little video I made describing the Trailcast "studio" on the web site. I am also in the process of re-encoding the older programs to higher quality mp3s.

Merry Christmas and be safe..

-Bob [email protected]
www.trailcast.org (http://www.trailcast.org)

Look forward to reading, hopefully I can find a computer near Amicalola Lodge to log in, as if I remember they did not have an computer there in 2003.

Merry Christmas Stef

Rain Man
12-22-2005, 12:10
I meant to make this announcement earlier this week, ...

I upgraded my recording setup and decided to distribute the mp3 files at a higher quality. I think the audio quality is noticeably better.

I listened to three in the last two days. Miss Janet's was a rerun for me. They are great interviews, and yes, the audio quality is much, much better on the new interviews.

To respond to one of your own questions, I think the Leki web site says to pronounce Leki as Lay-kee or some such, but you can check yourself to make sure. I never hear it pronounced that way, however!

I'd like to suggest you put the file download size next to the link. I'm on dial-up, and a 22 Meg download needs to be planned around.

Keep up the good work!!! We appreciate it!!!

Rain:sunMan

nerdishgrrl
12-23-2005, 11:45
Or download some good podcatching software like podcatcher on a stick or doppler or itunes. With one of those you just have to put in the address http://feeds.feedburner.com/Trailcast into the software. Every time you catch up your feeds your podcatching software will go out and check at trailcast to see if there are any new episodes. If there are new episodes your software will download that episode to your computer or mp3 player.

Great to see Trailcast back in action!

I have itunes, and I can't figure out how where to put the address to get itunes to download the podcast for me. The only podcasts i can gt to work are the ones from the itunes library. :confused:

Red Cake
12-23-2005, 17:17
Nerdishgrrl,
In Itunes, just go the the music store and click the link for "Podcasts" where it asks you to chosse your genres. Then search for "Trailcast" or "hiking" in the search box..

-Bob
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Singe03
01-27-2006, 17:40
I listened to a couple of the trailcasts on my PC, they are great and I want to hear the rest. I ran in to a little problem with them and my Sony MP3 player, since they (and most podcasts it seems) are recorded at 22,050Khz, the Sony will not play them without a lengthy conversion process. Apparantly it does not handle this format very well, so it is going back to the store and I'll be in the market for a new player.

Just curious about what people are using, I'm hoping to just drag and drop files to the player without using intermediate software (Sony requires their software to transfer files). Preferably one that runs on AAA batteries (same as my headlamp) and will handle this format without conversion.

Any recommendations ?

Max Power
01-27-2006, 17:47
You can't go wrong with an iPod! It doesn't run on AAA, but the batteries last forever, and charge quickly once forever expires.

Singe03
01-27-2006, 18:02
I do like the Ipods, do not get me wrong, however I do not think many back country camp sites are equipped with USB 2.0 ports for charging :-)

I can happily do without the stuff when hiking, but sometimes a little music is nice, or where better to listen to Trailcast than in my hammock, in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere ?

Max Power
01-27-2006, 18:27
The ipod battery life can easily get you past several resupply areas. Once you get near a library you're all set. By the time you hook it up, update your journal and e-mail, it will be charged. You don't need a USB port, you can get an adapter for wall outlets (obviously this is added weight to your pack.) You can also make your own external battery for the ipod that runs off of AA and 9v. It can fit in an altoid's box and doubles your ipods battery life. So in a sense you could purchase these batteries and replace them.

For those who are ultra concerned about their weight this wont do, or those who try to keep away from towns it won't either. I am willing to bet those same people probably aren't that interested in music on the trail.

Like all equipment you carry you need to find what works with your needs and accommodates your hiking style.

timhines
01-27-2006, 23:02
to reply to an above post, check out "anapod." It's software that you can run so you can move files easliy from ipods to your PC or to other devices. FOr 25 you can get a copy that gets you free upgrades for life.

UK Pod Bob
02-07-2006, 15:23
For those of you who would like more information. I've just uploaded our podcast interview with Squeaky at backpackinglight.co.uk which is broken down into 2 x 30 minute interviews to add to your library of information.

It was a pleasure to hear all about the trip and I envy you guys your surroundings. Perhaps one day!

trippclark
09-05-2006, 17:31
Anyone heard anything about Trailcast or Red Cake's (Robert) status with it? The last new podcast was in April. I wrote to him in June but never got a reply. Maybe he's hiking!? I hope that they do continue. They have been enjoyable and informative.

DawnTreader
09-05-2006, 22:37
Agreed.......

Smile
09-05-2006, 22:48
Looking forward to hearing more trailcasts! Last one I heard was Squeaky.

speedy
09-05-2006, 23:07
Thanks for pointing out this podcast. I can't wait to listen to it.

Singe03, I carry a Creative Muvo Sport C100 (http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?item=l1mvc100&akhg1999=WFROOGLEB3) and absolutely love it. I paid like $60 after rebates for it about a year ago, put a 1gb sd card in it, and I take it with me all the time. I generally will fill the 256mb of internal storage with podcasts, since they are smaller (13-30mb an hr) and the sd card with music. They tell you 512mb max, but after reading online, I put a 1gb in it, and it works fine. I get what seems to be a lifetime of playback on a single lithium AAA. All that and it's water resistant too. It says "splash proof", but mine's been really wet before and still works. It even has a stopwatch that I use for jogging. Probably wouldn't be ideal for a thru, but for shorter trips, in my book it can't be beat. :D speedy

Sly
09-08-2006, 11:44
Since I had dial-up I never did listening to Trailcasts very much. It's much better with DSL, no hour long downloads. It's nice catching up, listening to Miss Janet, Baltimore Jack, LiteShoe, Yogi and others I have met on the trails (17 in all) ... I never realized Miss Janet was a co-host on so many.

Hopefully, Robert has some more planned once this season ends

perrito
09-11-2006, 22:05
Is there ANY info on if and when Trailcast will return?

lindy
09-28-2006, 01:01
Is there ANY info on if and when Trailcast will return?

Yeah! Where is RedCake?
*sigh* get me addicted and then take it away
Hey RedCake, I hope everything is okay :) and you are out hiking!