PDA

View Full Version : Standing Stone Trail is PA's Trail of the Year

jmitchell
03-03-2016, 19:03
http://www.apps.dcnr.state.pa.us/news/resource/res2016/16-0302-toty.aspx

The SST is rugged, scenic, diverse, and historic. It's views are superb. It has come a long way in the past few years and it now has this honor. Hike it.

Seatbelt
03-03-2016, 19:11
This is a great trail! I have hiked it all and some parts of it several times. The article says that the trail is part of the GET (Great Eastern Trail). If this is true, did they replace a section of the Mid-State trail with the SST or is it an alternate route from Cowans Gap to Detwiler? Just curious. Seatbelt

ki0eh
03-03-2016, 23:32
The GET has two routes between Detweiler Junction (a point in Rothrock State Forest in northern Huntingdon County, PA) and Hancock, MD. This point is the junction between the SST and the MST, as the MST's former Greenwood Spur from this point to Greenwood Furnace State Park was transferred to the SST. The eastern GET bifurcation uses the SST and Tuscarora Trail. The western GET track uses the remainder of MST, trails in MD's Green Ridge State Forest and the C&O towpath from Paw Paw Tunnel to Hancock.

Seatbelt
03-04-2016, 15:56
The GET has two routes between Detweiler Junction (a point in Rothrock State Forest in northern Huntingdon County, PA) and Hancock, MD. This point is the junction between the SST and the MST, as the MST's former Greenwood Spur from this point to Greenwood Furnace State Park was transferred to the SST. The eastern GET bifurcation uses the SST and Tuscarora Trail. The western GET track uses the remainder of MST, trails in MD's Green Ridge State Forest and the C&O towpath from Paw Paw Tunnel to Hancock.
The eastern route is more scenic and more interesting in my opinion.

bettybadass
04-05-2016, 14:10
I'd love to hike this as it so close to my home. But other than maps I am not really seeing much info on this. Is there a guide I can buy?

ki0eh
04-06-2016, 09:49
I'd love to hike this as it so close to my home. But other than maps I am not really seeing much info on this. Is there a guide I can buy?

There is a printed Guide to the Link Trail which is 10 years out of date (it was 9 years ago the trail changed its name). The SST web site maps page http://www.standingstonetrail.org/#!lessons-and-guides/cq4e has a button to order the guide, which gets you a brochure that you are supposed to print and mail off with a check to buy it. There are also buttons on this SST web site maps page for a couple of the most significant revisions to the guide, on the south end.

If you don't want to deal with sending a form and check in the mail to get the guide, you can order direct online from the publisher, Keystone Trails Association. The order link is about two-thirds of the way down this page: http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=506&Itemid=104 Since KTA is a staffed organization and there remains a large box of these things in an office in Mechanicsburg this is likely the quickest way to get the guide book. But then you'd still have to go back to the SST web site to print off the guide revisions, which affect the end closest to Chambersburg.