PDA

View Full Version : Western branch CT alternate to Grand Junction?

kenb2
03-03-2016, 20:55
I'm not sure this belongs strictly under the Colorado Trail topic, but here goes. I'm casting about for this next summer's hiking project and thinking about walking the CT SOBO again from Waterton, then striking out from the West Collegiate Route somewhere along the Timberline Trail after Lake Ann and connecting up Forest Service trails and jeep roads across Taylor Park to Crested Butte, then over OH Be Joyful Pass to the West Elk and Raggeds. From there you could cross the North Fork Gunnison above Paonia, climb to the Grand Mesa Rim and hike off the mesa down to the Colorado River coming out at Palisade and the Colorado River. Has anyone done this or researched a similar western alternate to the Colorado Trail? I've also looked at the American Discovery Trail section that goes this way, but it's all road walk. I think there were planning studies when the CT was first laid out and maybe when the Collegiate West route was being planned? It might be fun to add another western Colorado option to the CT.

colorado_rob
03-04-2016, 16:20
Sounds cool, Y-knot. I'll fire up TOPO and take a closer look....

However, as you probably already know living in CO, the best part of the CT starts SW of where you'll be leaving the main CT, the San Juans. so CT hikers should be reluctant to skip the best. I can see doing the CT west option vs. the east (much prettier on the west side, IMHO), but skipping the San Juans is sacrilege....

kenb2
03-05-2016, 20:47
Absolutely no argument that in season the San Juans are the best section of the CT or probably any other long trail for that matter. We had a week of perfect, settled weather in early August last year through that section where you could wander above treeline all day with no thunderstorms. What really surprised me most was the quality of the route from Silverton to Durango with trail countouring through healthy, deep timber, lush vegetation and good water and the section again above treeline to Indian Ridge. Outstanding!

I was thinking about this western branch as an early/late season alternative or a feeder trail from the Western Slope. The CT now has two branches gaining popularity and with the CDT northern Colorado and Weminuche/South San Juan, it's a network of great trail. If there was a logical western route using mostly existing trail on public land, it could be a useful extension. Possible?