PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike tips for a vegetarian!

Search4ShangriLa
03-04-2016, 02:31
Hey guys,

So I am planning to do a thru-hike across New Zealand called the "Te Araroa Trail", however, I am giving it a minimum of 2 years to prep for it. I have never undertook a thru-hike before, and the longest hike I have done was a 67-kilometre Kepler Track, and lots of mountain-climbing (my favourite!! ^_^), but these only last 4-5 days at the most. I am a vegetarian (I eat dairy foods and eggs - cannot give up those, even though I tried). Have any of you guys done a thru-hike on a vegetarian diet? What did you take with you to eat?

Also, a question in general, how do I arrange to pick up food/shoes/clothes halfway through the hike? Do I have to ship it months prior and someone just holds on to them?

^_^ <3

hubcap
03-04-2016, 08:05
Postal regulations and access for New Zealand might be completely different than they are for the AT. A quick search on Amazon finds "A Walking Guide to New Zealand's Long Trail" Geoff Chappel. It's currently out of stock, but I'd bet you could find it with a little more searching. As well as the "New Zealand on foot" website. Tons of into there. All found within 2 minutes of looking.

You should be able to find resupply and postal info, or contacts to reach out to from these resources. You can then choose if you'll be able to buy as you go, or mail ahead necessary food for your trip. It's all apart of the fun of planning!

Good Luck!!!

Miel
03-04-2016, 08:38
Postal regulations and access for New Zealand might be completely different than they are for the AT. A quick search on Amazon finds "A Walking Guide to New Zealand's Long Trail" Geoff Chappel. It's currently out of stock, but I'd bet you could find it with a little more searching. As well as the "New Zealand on foot" website. Tons of into there. All found within 2 minutes of looking.

You should be able to find resupply and postal info, or contacts to reach out to from these resources. You can then choose if you'll be able to buy as you go, or mail ahead necessary food for your trip. It's all apart of the fun of planning!

Good Luck!!!

ebay has it for 42.71 usd as a buy it now, not including postage. Is that a high price for this book?

garlic08
03-04-2016, 09:14
In my opinion, vegetarian hiking is quite simple. Especially if you like cheese. Whole grains like oats, rice, and quinoa, tree nuts, peanut butter (or paste as I believe you would say), dried fruit, crackers, crisps, flat breads (don't know if you can easily get tortillas there), boiled eggs. You can make it more unhealthy, too, with packaged pastries, biscuits, and sweets.

I've been cycling in NZ but am not familiar with resupply difficulties on the Te Araroa trek. In NZ you should be able to use Poste Restante mail for packages. As mentioned, there should be a regular system set up for trampers. Get the book.