PDA

View Full Version : Best Hammock for thru-hiking

Dogginfox
12-20-2005, 20:51
Can anyone tell me what the best hammock for thru hiking ?

neo
12-20-2005, 20:56

this here is what i use:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9410&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8017&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7889&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6061&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5981&c=577

brian
12-20-2005, 23:26
I would reccomend the Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker, which gives the best combination of weight savings and durablity of the whole HH line. I've had mine for about 2 years now, probably have 80 nights in it, and it has held up like a champ. Score one new or used on eBay for $100.

Brian
OES

MedicineMan
12-20-2005, 23:37
but the Extreme Lite Racer is much lighter, much larger, and mine has 40ish nights on it with no signs of wear, did replace the hugger though ( i like to cinch it down real tight), i think Pan has the same model with similar nights in it.....just dont drag it around or use it as a sled on Hump mountain.

brian
12-20-2005, 23:41
While it may be lighter, and you may have plenty of nights in it, I have had to sleep on the ground in a couple of spots, and I was glad that I had the slightly heavier fabric that I did. I remember when you sent me your ELR, and I was shocked at how fragile the 40D fabric felt. While it may be durable, this is one spot where I wholeheartedly recommend a heavier fabric for piece of mind.

Brian

peter_pan
12-21-2005, 00:31
While I agree with MM on the lighter weight and comfort I 'd like to use this post to clarify the ELR size...for a long time I believed as MM that it was larger... The HH web site says it is 108 inches... but a recent conversation with Tom's shipping clerk pointed out that the comparision chart was in error....So I measured mine and sure enought it is 100 inches between the knots... this is the same length as the BULA and the Expedition... I will say that the ELR sleeps more comfortable because the lighter bottom takes up ones shape easier...

Brian has a point on durability...my ELR has 60+ nights with no sign of wear...but I'm really easy on it....That said, if I was on a budget and wanted to be sure the hammock would be good for 180 nights I'd get the BULA.

Whichever way you go in chosing a hammock, take the time to decide on how to keep warm and be comfortable with minimum hassle over a broad range of temp and weather variations....windshield reflectors and mylar emergency blankets won't cut it...Search the archives here there is plenty of good info... also check Just Jeff's site.

Whatever you do ... get a hammock and be comfortable and light.

Pan

hammock engineer
12-21-2005, 00:47
Check out the HH web site. They are runing a special on the ultralight. It is $119 including tensioners and snakeskins. That is the one that I have and I really like it. I am planning on taking it on my thru hike next year.

Jeff also has a lot of good info on his site. www.tothewoods.com

wentworth
12-21-2005, 01:51
Actually, they're running a special on the expedition... the really heavy duty model

MedicineMan
12-21-2005, 02:07
into a bug out bag, that is where number 2 rated gear gets put.....i wish they would put the ELR on sale, i'd grab one just to have it for later.

Youngblood
12-21-2005, 08:51
There are several backpacking hammocks suitable for thru hiking. Only YOU can decide what is the best one for you. The features can be very different and different folks put different values on these features. Do you have experience backpacking or with hammocks? Most folks don't have the opportunity to see, much less try out different hammocks. Basically there are three styles of backpacking hammocks used by thru hikers that I'm aware of. Clark Hammocks ( http://www.junglehammock.com/ ) represents one basic style, while Hennessy Hammocks ( http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ ) and Speer Hammocks ( http://www.speerhammocks.com/ ) represent the other basic styles. There are other manufacturers but these three represent the basic styles that are in use. You can look through their web sites and maybe get an idea of what suits you best.

I see you live in the southeast, occassionally there are get togethers where various hammocks and related gear can be seen in this area that you might be interested in. It is hit and miss as to who shows up and what gear they have. The next one is for winter camping and will be at the Springer Mountain Shelter in Georgia on the Appalachian Trail (AT) on New Years Eve... Ed Speer will be there with his Speer Hammock and whoever else decides to come. There will be tent campers and shelter dwellers there as well. I'm planning on making it, providing my knee is up to it and the weather doesn't scare me off and I'll have my home made Speer Hammock. I expect there to be other hammocks there as well. There has always been Hennessy Hammocks at these get togethers that I have been to but I haven't seen a Clark Hammock, maybe there will be one this time?

peter_pan
12-21-2005, 09:38
The Expedition is a good hammock that gets too much bum rap on weight...Realize the the primary difference between the Expedition and the BULA is heavier bottom (good for durability of the 225+ club), a much heavier fly, and marginally heavier suspension ropes (again more durable and stronger).... If you replace the fly with a little larger silnyl tarp suddenly you have a higher weight rated, more durable, lighter hammock camp....Expedition Hammock less stock fly is 28 oz, add say a JRB 8x8 tarp for 9 oz and the shelter is 37 oz or 2 lb 5 oz. this is approx 5 oz heavier than the stock BULA. Considering this hammock can often be found for $99 and the 8x8 goes on sale once or twice a year at $69 or less, this is a lot more weight capacity, durability, and camp space increase for the same $ cost and 5 oz weight difference.

That said I do prefer the lighter models, but I only weigh 178.

Pan

Burn
12-21-2005, 09:57
nice shakedown youngblood...try em all at rucks and decide. the reason you probably won't see clark hammocks is there is no weight benefit to carrying it...tho it is definately a conversation pc. at day 1. at 3-4# you can carry a 2 man tent and hope for some backwoods babe to select you for a body warmer.

generoll
12-21-2005, 11:05
at 3-4# you can carry a 2 man tent and hope for some backwoods babe to select you for a body warmer.[/quote]

Does that happen often? Hope springs eternal does it not?

Dogginfox
12-21-2005, 14:30
Thanks for the replies, im 5'10 and 140lbs on a good day im thinking of either the HH ultralight or ultralight expedition, just not sure which is the sturdier of the two.

Tinker
12-21-2005, 15:35
For a thruhike, I probably would take a closed cell foam pad to add insulation to the bottom of the hammock. The underquilts look nice, and they are probably much easier to use (pads tend to slide around in the bottom of my Hennessy until they settle in just the wrong place. I've made a pad with wings for my shoulders and arms which is just duct taped together, and, aside from some moisture due to the pad being excellent insulation and a complete vapor barrier, it's definitely the cheaper alternative, and, should you decide to sleep in a shelter with some friends, it provides much more cushion (though hardly any, really) than an underquilt.
I looked at the Speers Pea Pod for an insulated hammock design which would excel at cold weather camping, as long as you don't mind being wrapped up like a burrito. There seems to be far less fabric than a Hennessy has (for lower weight), and you don't have to carry mosquito netting when you're not using it.
I tossed together a homemade version of the Peapod and could see how I'd prefer it over the HH for very cold conditions, except for the wrap around hammock hug.

Here it is along with some other stuff:

http://community.webshots.com/user/tinkerdan

Patrick
12-21-2005, 16:27
Tinker,

Great pics, thanks for posting those. I have a vested interest, but I plan on taking an underquilt when I thru-hike. I really like them, mostly for the reasons you said. I also like that they breathe and are less bulky than pads.

I'd be happy if I never slept in a shelter again. I very much like stopping at them for the evening, both as a mileage goal and for the company. I love having my hammock there because I can cook, eat, and hang out with people, then retire by myself when it's time for bed. Thinking of the big picture, the very few times I could see using a pad don't make up for the almost every day advantages of the underquilt for me.

I absolutely love my Hennessy (ULB). Its only flaw, in my opinion, is that the netting is permanently attached. I've been kicking around the idea for a long time of either putting a zipper down the length or Velcro along one side to allow it to roll back or come off altogether.

It seems for a thru-hike that most of the time you're out is bug season, so I think I'd have netting with me the whole time anyway. What have others done when hammocking or tenting on a thru? Do you send netting home at a certain point or carry it the whole way?

2Ply
12-25-2005, 21:11
If Santa didn't bring you a Hennessy and you still want to try "open" top hammocks, I have a Clark, Speer, and a Crazy Crib. I like the versatility of these type hammocks for year round use here in Ga. If you want to try one out let me know.

Smooth
12-25-2005, 22:15
Well, this is what I do. I tend to sleep on the ground until I switch out for the lighter bag around Hot Springs. At that time I get the hammock as it is clean, bug resistant and cooler. In southern New England I trade the hammock and light bag for my 20* sac. Take the willingness to change. Bring love.