PDA

View Full Version : trail journal?

wannabe88
03-04-2016, 17:37
I'm thinking of doing a trail journal for friends and family that are interested.

anyone have any advice on doing this?

can I just write in my iPhone and upload when I get a connection?

AlyontheAT2016
03-04-2016, 21:58
if you mean writing in the Notes app, and then copy/paste into trail journal when you get wifi, then yes that seems like it should work just fine :)

JaketheFake
03-04-2016, 23:01
if you mean writing in the Notes app, and then copy/paste into trail journal when you get wifi, then yes that seems like it should work just fine :)

thats what I was going to do? I mean... Is there a better way?

wannabe88
03-04-2016, 23:11
thanks I'm new to blogging and kind of tech retarded for somebody my age needed some reassurance

garlic08
03-05-2016, 08:41
Practice with some preliminary posts, with photos, and ask friends and family for input.

There are pros and cons to real-time journaling. A good point is that people can find you if needed. A bad point is that people can find you if needed! And be careful about what you say about other hikers, what they're doing, and whom they're doing it with--it's a small world out there and that stuff stays around forever. The pros far out-weigh the cons, but it's good to be aware of the issues.

bigcranky
03-05-2016, 09:41
thanks I'm new to blogging and kind of tech retarded for somebody my age needed some reassurance

There are plenty of ways to do this. Trailjournals.com is a web site which will host a journal for you. Write your entries when you get to town and upload them. Plenty of hikers use TJ, and you can get something of an audience. :)

Alternatively, you could start your own blog on Wordpress, download the app to your phone, and upload entries when you have data service. Wordpress seems complicated at first, but it's not that hard. (Our LT journal is on a wordpress.com site, though I created it after we got home.) You get more control over the look and feel of the site with Wordpress. Share the blog link with your family and friends.

My wife keeps her daily journal on DayOne on her phone. It keeps track of things like locations, time, and can use a photo, too. But it's not for public journaling, though you could easily cut and paste to a Wordpress site.

Auto Draft
03-07-2016, 11:28
I wrote down details every day in my guide book pages. Then I'd expand those into daily entries when I got into town. It prevented days from blurring together and I didn't have to worry about phone battery as much.

Harrison Bergeron
03-07-2016, 16:48
Personally, I find it too difficult to type that much on my phone. I used a waterproof writing pad and this great little "inkamobile" waterproof pen I ran across at REI that has a built-in carabiner so it doesn't get lost. When I got home I transcribed my journal to trailjournals.com so family and friends could read it. I had planned to transcribe it each week when I was in town but it was just too much trouble without a real keyboard.

GreenBlaze
03-07-2016, 17:13
Personally, I find it too difficult to type that much on my phone. I used a waterproof writing pad and this great little "inkamobile" waterproof pen I ran across at REI that has a built-in carabiner so it doesn't get lost. When I got home I transcribed my journal to trailjournals.com so family and friends could read it. I had planned to transcribe it each week when I was in town but it was just too much trouble without a real keyboard.

I'm surprised more people are not utilizing text-to-speech. I use it all the time for journaling with the DayOne, OneNote, and whatever else has a keyboard function. Just talk into whatever app you need, make adjustments to the text (it's not perfect), then copy/paste to your favorite platform. However, I've spoken to some folks who only use a hand-written journal they can take off the bookshelf and read for years to come with all the notes and scribble marks from their days on the trails.

Harrison Bergeron
03-07-2016, 19:26
I'm surprised more people are not utilizing text-to-speech. I use it all the time for journaling with the DayOne, OneNote, and whatever else has a keyboard function. Just talk into whatever app you need, make adjustments to the text (it's not perfect), then copy/paste to your favorite platform. However, I've spoken to some folks who only use a hand-written journal they can take off the bookshelf and read for years to come with all the notes and scribble marks from their days on the trails.

I don't know what dialect text-to-speech interpreters are trained on, but it's apparently not the Okie/Tex I grew up speaking. I've tried it with my android but I spent more time correcting mistakes that it would have taken to type it with my thumbs in the first place. Someday maybe even us flyover heathens will be able to talk to computers. I guess that's a good thing?

floid
03-07-2016, 20:40
Mostly these need good internet connection to work.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

August W.
03-07-2016, 21:26
Fine-tip sharpie works well to write on the boarder of your map, front and back pages of a book, and inside of your tarp/vestibule.

CarlZ993
03-08-2016, 09:42
Disclaimer: I'm not the most techie person in the world.

For my blog, I used Postholer.com for my journal. Typically, I'd type if on my phone when I was in town. I made notes in a small journal in between towns. Postholer seemed to have more bells & whistles over Trail Journals. Just my non-techie opinion.