PDA

View Full Version : Lifestraw Water Bottle

trailsean
03-04-2016, 19:41
I was thinking about using a Lifestraw Water Bottle as my main water treatment option on an up coming thru hike, i was curious if anyone had experience using them in the back country and if they would not be a reasonable option for treating water. Any advice you could give would be great, thank you.

Sean

cjlusmc
03-05-2016, 09:54
I would personally recommend the sawyer mini. It's about the same price but much more versatile. You can run it in line with a hydration pack, on a plastic water bottle after filling, and can also use it as a gravity filter at the end of the day for camp water. I also like the bags that it uses because they fold down flat and there are several different sizes to suit different needs.

With the lifestraw bottle, you are stuck with one set size of filtered water, and it's the same size empty as it is full. Hope this at least helped a little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

lonehiker
03-05-2016, 10:04
I agree with the limited functionality but would also be concerned with the life expectancy. How many gallons can it be expected to filter and is it field maintainable? I looked at the packaging a few months ago and don't believe that it can be backflushed?

takethisbread
03-05-2016, 19:48
I have one lifestraw system and I wouldn't ever consider using it as a main filtration system.

That said I would go with Sawyer FULL SIZE which weighs just one ounce more than the mini but produces water 8 times faster.

I would rather not filter than wait forever with the mini slow stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turk6177
03-05-2016, 23:23
+1 on the full size Sawyer. The flow rate is so much better, and the weight difference is minimal. Keep a couple water tabs in your first aid kit for "rescue" water treatment to get you to town should you allow your sawyer to freeze or break it on a rock like I did...my fault, not Sawyer's.

jaso23v
03-06-2016, 06:45
sawyer mini is a good option I think!