PDA

View Full Version : Literature & Guides For An AT Thru

Googan
03-04-2016, 23:08
I plan on getting Guthooks Guide. Are there any other literature, downloads or apps you'd recommend?

hubcap
03-05-2016, 18:18
I like the AT Guide and pocket maps by Awol. http://www.theatguide.com/

MuddyWaters
03-05-2016, 19:56
I also believe in Awols guide and maps.
I really dont have much use for apps on a smartphone as the ONLY source of info for hiking. As supplemental, sure.

You dont need maps often, but when you do, you want more than can be seen on a tiny screen. If you zoom out to see enough area, you lose detail. this is why maps are large. A compass is also limited use without a real map.
You will want guidbook pages many times during the day. Leaving phone on, etc will just shorten battery life, necessitating battery packs, solar chargers, etc and it all just is far more cumbersome and more difficult than a piece of paper in a ziplock in your pocket

Ive got guthooks CT and LT apps, but I dont consider them a replacement for maps. On the CT and LT they are a good replacement for the lack of an AT style guidebook, but I still prefer Erik the Blacks CT atlas. On the AT, I think guthooks its a poor replacement for the Awols guide, but the user feedback and up to date reports can be useful sometimes, although not particularly necessary.

rainydaykid
03-05-2016, 22:46
I used the AT data book on my 2010 thru. Using it again on my 2016 thru. Cut off excess margins, it weighs 2.7 oz, much lighter than other choices. I never felt it had too little info for campsites and resupply.

Turk6177
03-05-2016, 23:21
You only need one guide book. AWOL's. If you want to learn in depth about spots on the trail, then maybe you can get digital copies of other books and review them as you are about to hike the particular sections you are reading about.

twistwrist
03-06-2016, 19:51
I used AWOL and Guthooks. They both offered different options. LOVED Guthooks, especially in spots where landmarks are few and far between in AWOL's guide!

As a ridgerunner here on the approach trail, check this out:
http://appalachiantrailclarity.com/2016/03/06/top-10-mistakes-new-thru-hikers-make/