PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an inexpensive 20 degree bag.. Opinions Needed

acid_reign
03-06-2016, 00:16
Hey all, I'm looking to get a warmer bag for shoulder seasons and not spend a fortune. I'm looking on Sierra Trading Post, trying to play the coupon game. Here is what I've found -

Marmot 20°F Kenosha Down Sleeping Bag - 650 Fill Power, Mummy - 2lb 9 oz
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-20-f-kenosha-down-sleeping-bag-650-fill-power-mummy~p~6334m/

Kelty (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty~b~1105/) 21°F Cosmic Dri-Down Sleeping Bag- 550 Fill Power, Long Mummy - 2lb 13oz
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty-21-f-cosmic-dri-down-sleeping-bag-550-fill-power-long-mummy~p~8423t/?filterString=s~kelty-sleeping-bag%2F&colorFamily=03
Kelty (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty~b~1105/) 20°F Ignite Sleeping Bag - Long, 600 Fill Power DriDown - 2lb 15 oz
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty-20-f-ignite-sleeping-bag-long-600-fill-power-dridown~p~9440v/?filterString=s~kelty-sleeping-bag%2F&colorFamily=01
Obviously I'm favoring the Marmot at -4/-6 oz, but what is the consensus on DriDown? Both Keltys are cheaper as well. Help me decide!

Backpackerjohnson
03-06-2016, 09:15
I have the kelty ignite bag and it's alright. You definitely get a lot of bang for your buck. That being said, if I were to do it over I'd seriously consider a more expensive high end quilt, but I understand the hesitation.

Busky2
03-06-2016, 09:30
I have a Kelty Cosmic and used it in the GSMNP in both April '14 and April '15 and was very happy with it now this year I am using a MontBell downhugger spiral #3 that is lighter and I believe just as warm as the Kelty *20 degree bags.

Ashepabst
03-09-2016, 12:18
there's a Sierra Design 23* on REI Outlet for $179. it's 700-fill and 2lb even.

DuneElliot
03-09-2016, 12:43
I've heard a lot of negative reviews on the Kelty Cosmic Down not living up to its temperature rating. Their 20* bag is more like a 30* bag. There are also positive reviews on it too, but that seems to be the chief complaint. I think you'd be better off with the Marmot.

soumodeler
03-09-2016, 14:45
I've heard a lot of negative reviews on the Kelty Cosmic Down not living up to its temperature rating. Their 20* bag is more like a 30* bag. There are also positive reviews on it too, but that seems to be the chief complaint. I think you'd be better off with the Marmot.

I had the Cosmic Down 20 and it was very optimistic with the temp rating. Shoes and sleeping bags are the 2 things I recommend not skimping on.

Venchka
03-10-2016, 12:22
If you are looking for an economical 20° F bag, look no further than Western Mountaineering. The Ultralite (slim mummy) and Alpinlite (wide mummy) are conservatively rated, loaded with very good features not found elsewhere and are impeccably made in the USA. Buy one and done for several decades.
In Europe, the EN rating for these bags is 16° F.
There is an Alpinlite for sale here at WhiteBlaze.

Ktaadn
03-10-2016, 16:14
I have an older version of the MH Lamina 20. I have used it on several winter hikes and I like it.

http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-lamina-20-sleeping-bag-20-degree-synthetic?CMP_SKU=MHW2391&MER=0406&skid=MHW2391-BLRID-REGZIPA&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=52C9BC4C-9586-E211-A87C-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=92885918317&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-153933811717&mr:ploc=1014221&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=153933811717&gclid=CjwKEAiA04S3BRCYteOr6b-roSUSJABE1-6BBc55xhyfIzWxRe0axP3ub1NwycCkrkqTCGnXNbVnbBoCrkTw _wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Casey & Gina
03-10-2016, 18:22
If you are looking for an economical 20° F bag, look no further than Western Mountaineering. The Ultralite (slim mummy) and Alpinlite (wide mummy) are conservatively rated, loaded with very good features not found elsewhere and are impeccably made in the USA. Buy one and done for several decades.

Haha, Western Mountaineering budget! But I have to agree - investing in a really good bag will save you a lot of money in the long run. Do look a little bit farther though, as Feathered Friends is also a wonderful choice worth consideration.

Casey & Gina
03-10-2016, 18:22

Haha, Western Mountaineering budget! But I have to agree - investing in a really good bag will save you a lot of money in the long run. Do look a little bit farther though, as Feathered Friends is also a wonderful choice worth consideration.

Rex Clifton
08-27-2016, 20:00
A quilt will save you $$$ and lighten your pack to boot. I use whether hammocking or ground pounding. You can get a Hammock Gear Burrow 20 for around $250, half the price of a Western Mountaineering Ultralight and around the same weight. Just get the 55 inch wide version if you plan to use on the ground.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Venchka
08-27-2016, 21:24

Casey,
I'm sure you're right about Feathered Friends.
However, I own 2 WM bags and will only vouch for what I know up close and personal.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Mr. Bumpy
08-28-2016, 16:36
there's a Sierra Design 23* on REI Outlet for $179. it's 700-fill and 2lb even.

I am assuming you are referring to SD Zissou 23. I own one and do not consider it to be anywhere near a 20 degree bag. This has been discussed here before with mostly the same opinions. The only way this is a 20 degree bag would be in a tent, with a base layer, wearing a toboggan, with your down jacket thrown over you, and maybe down booties.

It is a roomy bag and light weight and there is a lot to like about it, just not good for most if going below much below 30.

Hikingjim
08-28-2016, 21:51
20 degree quilt (eg: EE or hammock gear) would run half the weight or less
it'd be a bit more, but those bags are pretty heavy

OkeefenokeeJoe
08-28-2016, 21:58
Good solid information here. Great thread.

OkeefenokeeJoe

MuddyWaters
08-28-2016, 22:02
Looking for an inexpensive 20 degree bag.. Opinions Needed

No lack of opinions.

Heres the thing.....inexpensive bags are always over rated. And dont have dwr fabric.

If you need REAL 20 degree rating, you need a quality bag.
If you want a 30 degree rated bag, some inexpensive bags may work.

With a few exceptions.

Theres a few cheap $$ good deals, but requires knowing what it is, and what you want.

Then theres most of market thats overpriced $$$ for mediocre quality

Then theres the $$$$ good stuff, real gear with ratings you can trust, which is really the best deal of all. It just has high entry price.

saltysack
08-28-2016, 23:00
EE posts updated sale item list every Monday mid day...think it's 1:00 central time. Usually returns, seconds etc...deals to be had or keep eye out on forums..I recently sold my Marmot helium down bag for $200....also another good quality bag that's not as much $$$ as the WM bags...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poolskaterx
08-29-2016, 12:45
I caught a sale and purchased the REI Igneo for a VERY good price. I have been pretty happy with it, although I am a pretty slim guy. Sub 2lb and I have taken it down to about 15 degrees comfortably with smartwool long johns.
I think you will be happier saving for a little longer and getting a higher quality bag in the long run; if anything re-sale will be much better if you decide it is not your "bag"lol!

Casey & Gina
08-29-2016, 14:12
REI Garage Sales are a great place to get great deals on high quality gear. We got a $650 bag in brand new condition, "used 1 night, didn't suit needs" by previous customer, for $200. I often see down bags that have a small hole heavily discounted - which is easily patched.

poolskaterx
08-31-2016, 13:48
REI Garage Sales are a great place to get great deals on high quality gear. We got a $650 bag in brand new condition, "used 1 night, didn't suit needs" by previous customer, for $200. I often see down bags that have a small hole heavily discounted - which is easily patched.

... as long as you don't live in CA; for some reason it is against the rules to sell previously used sleeping gear here.

Casey & Gina
08-31-2016, 14:04
... as long as you don't live in CA; for some reason it is against the rules to sell previously used sleeping gear here.

Just take a drive to the nearest neighboring state come REI Garage Sale day... ;)

But yeah, that's a weird law. California has a lot of those, though.

Venchka
08-31-2016, 14:54
Just take a drive to the nearest neighboring state come REI Garage Sale day... ;)

But yeah, that's a weird law. California has a lot of those, though.

Go a day early. Sleep at the front door.
Otherwise, don't waste your time.
Wayne

saltysack
08-31-2016, 15:14
Go a day early. Sleep at the front door.
Otherwise, don't waste your time.
Wayne

I've never had any luck at the garage sales....won't waste my time again....trying to lighten my pack not get heavier.....with mindset less is better I often leave REI empty handed......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zachzz12
08-31-2016, 15:31
just picked up the last marmot 15 degree sawtooth down 650 fill from sierra trading post for a great deal thanks for the info