PDA

View Full Version : Jarrard Gap Camp

Brad L
03-06-2016, 10:47
Need input for camp near Jarrard Gap before bear canister requirement heading NOBO. Would like to be as close to blood mtn for starting that days hike. I want to make this day a short day for stay in Neel Gap. TIA.

Slo-go'en
03-06-2016, 11:09
I don't think there is camping at Jarrard Gap. The designated camping is at Lance Creek with tent platforms. It's only 5 miles from Lance Creek to Neel Gap and it doesn't take too long to climb up and over Blood Mountain. Get up reasonably early and you'll be at Neel by noon or earlier.

Uncle Joe
03-06-2016, 11:28
Jarrard Gap has plenty of flat ground for camping and it's obvious people have camped there. That said, Woods Hole Shelter isn't too much further and there's plenty of camping there and even at the turn-off if you don't want to go back to the shelter (it's quite a ways off the trail).

Lone Wolf
03-06-2016, 11:55
I don't think there is camping at Jarrard Gap. The designated camping is at Lance Creek with tent platforms. It's only 5 miles from Lance Creek to Neel Gap and it doesn't take too long to climb up and over Blood Mountain. Get up reasonably early and you'll be at Neel by noon or earlier.

yes there is camping at jarrard gap. it's 5 miles to Neel gap from there

MuddyWaters
03-06-2016, 12:55
Most people camp at Lance Creek. They are stacked up there like cordwood. There is some flat ground at Jarrard Gap, not sure about water though.

Unless you are a snails snail, youll be to Neel Gap early in the day. Get early start, climb up Blood while its cool, be at Neel gap before lunch.

If you ever wonder where you can camp....just start by thinking on top of the hills, or in the low saddles (gaps). Thats where you are most likely to find some amount of flattish ground. There very well may be some flat ground off trail elsewhere, but you can generally count on it in those two places.

I had a close encounter with a bear once at Jarrard Gap.

Slo-go'en
03-06-2016, 13:17
Jarrard Gap has plenty of flat ground for camping and it's obvious people have camped there. That said, Woods Hole Shelter isn't too much further and there's plenty of camping there and even at the turn-off if you don't want to go back to the shelter (it's quite a ways off the trail).

It's pretty obvious people camp everywhere and anywhere in Georgia. Isn't Woods Hole in the bear canister designated area? Apparently there is water at Jarrard Gap, but it's 0.3 miles off the trail (and likely down hill to boot). Unless Lance creek is full up with tents, no good reason to continue on the Jarrard Gap and hope there is space there.

FatMan
03-06-2016, 20:25
The camping area at Jarrard Gap is in the bear canister restriction zone. Not much in the way of of established campsites between Lance Creek and Jarrard Gap. But I am sure you can find a few square feet to pitch a tent along the way.

NewHeart
03-09-2016, 21:33
I guess I don't need to worry about flat ground since i'm in a hammock:)

SawnieRobertson
03-10-2016, 20:41
I guess I don't need to worry about flat ground since i'm in a hammock:)
Great answer, NewHeart.

LittleRock
03-11-2016, 16:24
There's camping at Jarrard Gap, but IMO Lance Creek is better. Water source is right there, and you can avoid the bear canister requirement.