PDA

View Full Version : Uber to Campo?

pafarmboy
03-06-2016, 19:45
Has anyone used Uber to get from the San Diego Airport to the Southern Terminus? Seems much harder to find a ride than it is on the AT.

Thanks.

Malto
03-06-2016, 19:52
Many if not most use one of the trail angels such as Frodo and Scout. I believe there is also a bus that goes to Campo. I see no reason that uber wouldn't work.

pafarmboy
03-06-2016, 19:59
Thanks. Is there a shuttler list for the PCT anywhere on this site?

PCTAlias
03-14-2016, 16:49
There is a bus, and there are rides available form local members of the PCT community ( check the PCTA site ). I researches the bus route - its three changes and about 4 hours. There are multiple local cabs who will take you for ~$150 and some shuttle companies in san diego who do it for ~200 up to 4 people when I was askin around.

sbhikes
03-17-2016, 17:33
Just send an email to Scout and Frodo. Their contact info is on the PCTA website.

I was going to take Amtrak, then the Orange Line, then Bus #894 to Campo but it looked like if my train was on time and got to San Diego at 1:40pm, that I still wouldn't get to Cameron Corner until 7:30 and that is still a several miles walk to the border. Scout and Frodo will pick me up at the Amtrak station, let me stay at their house and drive me to the trail in the morning. Works out the same but without the horrible 13 hour total travel time.

There are no shuttles on the PCT (and I hope there never will be). You'll usually be hitchhiking. Hitchhiking is awesome.

Sasquatch!
03-17-2016, 19:24
Just send an email to Scout and Frodo. Their contact info is on the PCTA website.

I was going to take Amtrak, then the Orange Line, then Bus #894 to Campo but it looked like if my train was on time and got to San Diego at 1:40pm, that I still wouldn't get to Cameron Corner until 7:30 and that is still a several miles walk to the border. Scout and Frodo will pick me up at the Amtrak station, let me stay at their house and drive me to the trail in the morning. Works out the same but without the horrible 13 hour total travel time.

There are no shuttles on the PCT (and I hope there never will be). You'll usually be hitchhiking. Hitchhiking is awesome.

I'm forming a non-profit specifically to shuttle people to and from the trail; in electric vans.

bigcranky
03-18-2016, 12:54
Did anybody else see the title of this thread and wonder where is this place called "Uber" on the PCT? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

betsi
03-21-2016, 11:46
Did anybody else see the title of this thread and wonder where is this place called "Uber" on the PCT? :)

Yes!! And does it have a cool spring with shady trees?

Sasquatch!
03-23-2016, 08:15
I hit the trail today. I'm lucky that I can get from my apartment to the southern terminus only utilizing public transit.

I'll bus from the San Diego airport to a Big 5 a few miles away. I need canister fuel, and In and Out Burger. From the Big 5 its a short walk to the Old Town light rail station. I take that to El Cajon Transit center. From there I take Bus 894 to Campo.
With any luck I should be at the trail around 1:30pm. Yay!

N8h
04-27-2016, 22:30
If I am available I would be willing to give people a ride to/from the PCT from San Diego to the trail between Campo and Julian. If interested message me and I will see if it works with my work schedule.

Greenlight
04-28-2016, 06:50
I drive for Uber and another similar company called Lyft, so I knew immediately what he was asking. You may get some turn downs from these companies if it is a long ride, as the return trip is on the driver's dime. But you should eventually get picked up. I always picked up everyone who requested a ride, and many drivers do. Even if it's 50 miles and I have to fill my tank afterward.

Yes!! And does it have a cool spring with shady trees?