PDA

View Full Version : Best wide sleeping pad in regular length?

kimbur96
03-06-2016, 21:45
I currently had a NeoAir Xlite women's pad. Very comfortable as far as thickness and light, but i sleep on my side and at 20 inches wide my arms dangle off the sides uncomfortably. I'm only 5'3 so i don't need a long pad. Just something in a regular length but with a wider width. Looking at the Exped synmat 7? or any other options you come up with. willing to add a few ounces to sleep better.

Secondmouse
03-07-2016, 20:49
I currently had a NeoAir Xlite women's pad. Very comfortable as far as thickness and light, but i sleep on my side and at 20 inches wide my arms dangle off the sides uncomfortably. I'm only 5'3 so i don't need a long pad. Just something in a regular length but with a wider width. Looking at the Exped synmat 7? or any other options you come up with. willing to add a few ounces to sleep better.

Klymit pads can be had wider and are fairly light...

swisscross
03-07-2016, 21:09
I believe thermarest is missing a huge market share.
I want to buy american made products and I feel it would behoove them to manufacture a wide line in ALL their length options.

Is Kooka Bay still in business?

cmoulder
03-07-2016, 21:35
Medium/wides are somewhat rare. The NeoAir Trekker torso/wide is in an even smaller niche, but if a 47"x25" can be made to work for you, it's a nice pad. I'm 5"9" and sleep with my pack under my legs, and with a partially deflated air mat I find it very comfortable.

The other option is to get a long/wide and cut it shorter and re-seal it. Kinda scary slicing into a brand new and $$$ pad (and nullifying the warranty!) but it gives you a lot more choices. I've cut and resealed and it wasn't a difficult job.

Mr. Bumpy
03-07-2016, 21:52
I'm a side sleeper and for the past few years and around 100 nights have been happy with Exped Syn Mat 7. It is a little wider than most and even at 200lbs I don't bottom out on my hips and shoulders. Early on in its life it got a slow leak from something. They repaired it instead of replacing it. I got excellent customer service, a quick turnaround, and I haven't had any concerns about the repair.

Odd Man Out
03-08-2016, 00:20
I too have looked for wide pads that are not extra long
I have the wide torso trekker. It was ok, but kept looking for a full length option. I sent an email to neo air suggesting this is an unserved
Market. They were not interested. I now have a Klymit Static V. It is a bit wider than normal in a normal length. It has lots of good reviews on line. It Worked ok for me last summer but I'm not convinced it's best for side sleepers. But I need to use it some more. Last fall I did an overnight when it got colder than expected and the static v did not keep me warm that night. It doesn't have a high r value. For summer it could be a good option or three season with some supplemental insulation.

squeezebox
03-08-2016, 06:52
Tell me how to cut and reseal.

Please and Thank You!

cmoulder
03-08-2016, 08:55
Tell me how to cut and reseal.

Please and Thank You!

HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY)is a youtube video on how to go about it, which is how I did it.

For quite a while I have wanted a rectangular NeoAir Xlite in the torso/wide format mentioned above. No such beast, obviously, but recently I was very lucky to snag a brand new NeoAir Xlite in the old rectangular shape, but it was a Long/Wide. No problem, I cut it down and now have a one-of-a-kind (unless somebody else did this, lol!) torso/wide, old-style Xlite rectangle-shaped. Not often you get exactly what you want! It weighs 10.4 oz.

Here it is beneath a more "modern" NeoAir Xlite shortie34003

DuneElliot
03-08-2016, 12:30
I also like the Klymit Static V Lite at 19oz. I'm a side and front sleeper and have found that I don't touch the ground at all on it. It's wider at 23" and standard length. Very comfortable.

Ashepabst
03-09-2016, 11:24
I love my wide SynMat UL7. I didn't get the Medium Wide --didn't even know they made them until after I made my Long/Wide purchase-- but I wish I had.