PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Backpackers 1st Setup, how'd I do?

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 10:30
Hello all!

After moving to NC a year ago and doing regular day hikes I decided it was time to move into backpack hiking, something I've never done before. The majority of my hikes in the near future will be limited to 2/3 days, in NC. Here's a list of the gear I have accumulated:

1. Osprey Atmos AG 50L - Loved the comfort when I tried it on in store. On my day hikes my back was always soaked in sweat, I sweat ALOT, and the full mesh backing seemed very appealing. I've done a couple short test hikes and my back felt wonderfully cool.

2. Sierra Designs BackCountry Bed 2 season 600 fill - I am a finicky side/stomach sleeper and this unorthodox sleeping bag design seemed like it would match well with my sleeping style. I am 5'11" 205 pounds w/broad shoulders and had trouble deciding if I should go for the long (6'6") or regular (6") version. When I sleep on my stomach my feet add a few inches to my height and I was concerned I'd be pushing on the end of the bag. I also like to move around, and while I dont know for sure, I dont think I'd sleep well were I very constrained. In the end, I went with the long. I chose the 2 season over the 3 season to save money and because I thought the 3 season may be too warm in cooler months. The 2 season coupled with a sleeping bag liner seemed like it may the more versatile choice.

3. Big Agnes Double Z Insulated pad - My requirements for a pad were insulation, comfort, and lack of noise. While this pad is considered "3 season", I felt it may be necessary to have a beefier pad coupled with the backcountry bed that lacks insulation on the bottom. In my testing in 30 degreeish weather it seemed I was right, any cool spots I had seemed to be in the pad. I've even considered returning it for the new "double stuff" double z insulated pad.

4. Mountainsmith Morrison 2 person tent - This was my first purchase. I've found it to be quite bulky in the 50L pack. I do like the tent a lot, it's dimensions are longer than the typical 2 person tent which couples well with my long sleeping bag/pad. It seems very durable. But, for a backpacking tent, seems a bit bulky and heavy. Hopefully it will do as a decent starter tent. I also got the footprint.

5. MSR Windburner 1lt Stove - While there were plenty of cheaper options, I like how small and light this unit is, how it has everything contained. Probably overkill in a newbie starter kit but I figured it may be a worthy investment. Most of the reviews comparing the jetboil to this stove favored the windburner.

6. MSR miniworks ex microfilter - Same logic as the stove - figured I'd get a quality product built to last. The reviews I read on this were very positive in that regard, as long as you dont chip the filter.

7. Accessories - Platypus Big Zip 3ltr bladder, 2x Nalgene widemouth bottles, nite ize cord, various clothes (wicking underwear/socks, wicking base layers, etc)

In the end I went way over budget but hopefully did well and am adequately prepared. I've done a few test runs in my backyard. The first night was 29 with ice covering the tent, I had no beanie and was ill equipped. My head/face got cold and it seemed like, surprisingly, there were cool spots on the pad. My understanding was that with the R-rating of 4.5 I shouldn't have been getting cool spots from the pad. Does the R-Rating value expect the sleeping bag to provide insulation to some degree? (my sleeping bag is not insulated on the bottom). I still need to put together a first aid kit. Anything else I should be considering? How's my gear list look?

(PS I realize in the photo the tarp should not be extending out past the tent, afterward I folded it under, and in the end just purchased the matching footprint).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Nefarion/12788322_10153394928615592_1519110629_o_zpstvprsd1 v.jpg

Slo-go'en
03-07-2016, 10:43
Replace the blue tarp with Tyvak (for weight reduction and less bulk). Then trim it so it does not extend beyond the edge of the tent floor. The way you have it now, any rain coming off the tent will collect on the trap and run under the tent floor.

Ops, I didn't read the last line where you corrected that problem.

pauly_j
03-07-2016, 10:51
That seems like quite a bit of gear for a 50ltr pack. Can you fit food in there with that?

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 10:51
Yeah, I didn't intent to leave the tent setup when I snapped that photo. I just threw the tarp down to keep the mud from getting my shiny new tent all dirty ;). After 4 or so more setup/takedowns and folding the annoying cheap blue tarp to the perfect footprint I broke down and got the matching footprint. The mountainsmith morrison has a 5,000-millimeter-rated polyurethane coating on the floor, so I probably dont even need a footprint, but right now with all these funds spent on new equipment I'm motivated to keep everything in the best shape possible.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 10:59
That seems like quite a bit of gear for a 50ltr pack. Can you fit food in there with that?

I'm honestly not sure yet. I certainly could not fit a bear can but it seems like there's some room left on top in the main compartment, plus the top pack is completely empty. I haven't fully packed with food yet so it's still a bit of a question mark. My goal was to get the smallest pack possible, and seeing as the majority of my hikes with be 2/3 days I was hoping the 50L would be adequate (53L to be specific, large size torso). If it's not I may have to return it and grab the 65L version. If the 50L works out I'll likely, down the road, build a bigger setup (70L range) geared more towards winter backpacking, able to carry bear can, more food, etc.

DuneElliot
03-07-2016, 11:04
I'm curious about what you mean by cold spots with the pad.

egilbe
03-07-2016, 11:07
The Sierra back country bed is big and bulky. A simple down quilt would have been better. If you feel cold spots underneath you, try doubling up sleeping mats/pads for cold weather. Foot prints are pure profit margin for the mfg. You don't need them. I use a floorless tarp and a piece of tyvek.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 11:11
I'm curious about what you mean by cold spots with the pad.

Laying in my stomach my belly and thighs were chilly. When I layed on my back my butt and back were chilly. I only lasted from 11 - 2 AM that night. Temps were between 25- 30. The bag is rated 37/27 (EN, Comfort/Lower limit), pad R-4.5. When I came inside I recall my back/butt being quite cold for a while. I also did not have the pad inflated a whole lot, it felt most comfortable to me like that. If I would sit up my butt would lightly touch the ground. Could that have been a factor? Do I need to keep more air in it for proper insulation?

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 11:16
The Sierra back country bed is big and bulky. A simple down quilt would have been better. If you feel cold spots underneath you, try doubling up sleeping mats/pads for cold weather. Foot prints are pure profit margin for the mfg. You don't need them. I use a floorless tarp and a piece of tyvek.

I considered some down quilts but assumed it would be more difficult to stay insulated. The backcountry bed seemed like a reasonable compromise between a quilt and a standard mummy bag. Packed into its stuff sack it fits in the sleeping bag compartment of my pack.

Hosh
03-07-2016, 11:19
You're sure to get lots of feed back on cuben fiber this, 900 fill that, mine's the best, etc. Since you're just starting, with a budget (bummer), you'll make some choices that you will change with experience..

If you haven't seen already, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqoEJGSUyEM , these Only the Lightest videos provide some good input on gear selection and strategies.

Mike Clelland is another good source for knowledge, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX-erGPyejU

My advice is if you can't fit everything in a 50l pack, check out alternatives on your sleep system, tent, clothes carried, first to reduce volume.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 11:21
Regarding the footprint, isn't it desirable to keep dirt out when packing up the tent? Seems like wiping off the footprint would be easier than the tent bottom, especially out in the field. Do you typically not worry much about a little dirt getting packed up with the tent?

In addition to the puncture/moisture resistance, that was one of my primary motivators for the footprint.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 11:26
You're sure to get lots of feed back on cuben fiber this, 900 fill that, mine's the best, etc. Since you're just starting, with a budget (bummer), you'll make some choices that you will change with experience..

If you haven't seen already, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqoEJGSUyEM , these Only the Lightest videos provide some good input on gear selection and strategies.

Mike Clelland is another good source for knowledge, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX-erGPyejU

My advice is if you can't fit everything in a 50l pack, check out alternatives on your sleep system, tent, clothes carried, first to reduce volume.

By far, the bulkiest item taking up space is the tent (seems like takes up half the main compartment!). It's likely that'l be the chink in my armor should I run out of space. Thanks for those recommendations, I'll check the videos out!

Slo-go'en
03-07-2016, 13:43
Regarding the footprint, isn't it desirable to keep dirt out when packing up the tent? Seems like wiping off the footprint would be easier than the tent bottom, especially out in the field. Do you typically not worry much about a little dirt getting packed up with the tent?

In addition to the puncture/moisture resistance, that was one of my primary motivators for the footprint.

Yes, for all those reasons. If the floor of the tent is all wet and muddy, the rest of the tent gets all wet and muddy when you stuff it into a sack.

A 50L pack should be good enough for weekend trips in the summer when you don't need much in the way clothes.

Nalgene bottles are bulky and heavy. Replace with plastic soda bottles and if you get rid of the bladder you'll have more room inside the pack.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 14:33
Yes, for all those reasons. If the floor of the tent is all wet and muddy, the rest of the tent gets all wet and muddy when you stuff it into a sack.

A 50L pack should be good enough for weekend trips in the summer when you don't need much in the way clothes.

Nalgene bottles are bulky and heavy. Replace with plastic soda bottles and if you get rid of the bladder you'll have more room inside the pack.

I should clarify that, while I understand the benefit of less weight, I'm not necessarily prioritizing it for two reasons: My trips are likely to be short and I lift heavy weights 3x+ per week (30 pounds feels like nothing on my back after being used to squatting hundreds of pounds regularly).

The Nalgene bottles fit perfectly and snug in the bottle pockets of the Atmos (not really taking up extra room). They also screw directly onto the MSR Miniworks filter. Should I get serious later on about shaving ounces here and there I'll keep in mind how inefficient they are in terms of weight/bulk.

Thanks for the tips!

DuneElliot
03-07-2016, 14:56
Laying in my stomach my belly and thighs were chilly. When I layed on my back my butt and back were chilly. I only lasted from 11 - 2 AM that night. Temps were between 25- 30. The bag is rated 37/27 (EN, Comfort/Lower limit), pad R-4.5. When I came inside I recall my back/butt being quite cold for a while. I also did not have the pad inflated a whole lot, it felt most comfortable to me like that. If I would sit up my butt would lightly touch the ground. Could that have been a factor? Do I need to keep more air in it for proper insulation?

You're asking a lot for a bag that is rated Comfort 37 when the temps are below 30. Lower limit is not a comfort rating but where it will prevent you from getting hypothermia/dying. Someone else may have to weigh in on this one, but it seems like you're expecting too much out of your combo. And no, R ratings don't take the bottom insulation of a bag into account...that insulation underneath you is useless anyway since you crush it.

egilbe
03-07-2016, 16:17
My trips are likely to be short and I lift heavy weights 3x+ per week (30 pounds feels like nothing on my back after being used to squatting hundreds of pounds regularly).

The Nalgene bottles fit perfectly and snug in the bottle pockets of the Atmos (not really taking up extra room). They also screw directly onto the MSR Miniworks filter. Should I get serious later on about shaving ounces here and there I'll keep in mind how inefficient they are in terms of weight/bulk.

Thanks for the tips!

how many times are you squatting hundreds of pounds? 25? 30? 40? Let's say you squat 300 pounds 5x5. That equals 7500 pounds. Now, figure a day's hike is 10,000 steps. With a 40 pound pack weight, that's 400,000 pounds you are lifting through a short hike. After a week of hiking with a 40 pound pack, that's 2.8 million pounds. A week of squatting is 22,500. Do you see a difference there? A through hike is 5 million steps. Think about the toll that weight is having on your bones and ligaments and the amount of energy required.

lonehiker
03-07-2016, 16:42
how many times are you squatting hundreds of pounds? 25? 30? 40? Let's say you squat 300 pounds 5x5. That equals 7500 pounds. Now, figure a day's hike is 10,000 steps. With a 40 pound pack weight, that's 400,000 pounds you are lifting through a short hike. After a week of hiking with a 40 pound pack, that's 2.8 million pounds. A week of squatting is 22,500. Do you see a difference there? A through hike is 5 million steps. Think about the toll that weight is having on your bones and ligaments and the amount of energy required.

OP, don't you realize that it is impossible to have a successful hiking experience (of any length) with a 40 pound pack...

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 16:49
You're asking a lot for a bag that is rated Comfort 37 when the temps are below 30. Lower limit is not a comfort rating but where it will prevent you from getting hypothermia/dying. Someone else may have to weigh in on this one, but it seems like you're expecting too much out of your combo. And no, R ratings don't take the bottom insulation of a bag into account...that insulation underneath you is useless anyway since you crush it.

My understanding of the EN bag rating system (as explained here https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/sleeping-bag-backpacking.html) is that the "Comfort limit" applies more for women while the "Lower Limit" applies more for men, obviously results may vary. I do generally sleep hot. I was hoping that the 27 lower limit rating, coupled with a R 4.5 pad and appropriate clothing, would mean I could likely withstand temps around 30. I think I'll be okay next time by adding a hat and lightweight fleece. It's just surprising to me that the "weak link" seemed to be the pad.

DuneElliot
03-07-2016, 16:53
I don't know much about the particular pad you have sorry, but if it doesn't work for you then something else might be in order...either a different sleeping bag or pad.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 17:00

While the focus with heavy weight strength training is certainly not cardio based I do believe all bones/ligaments/stabilizer muscles/etc are stronger for all aspects of fitness and mobility. I also day hike 5-7 days a week, we have a family border collie that makes sure of that :). In other words, I believe I am fairly universally fit. To me, it seems like the "ounce counting" mentality should apply more for those that are A. Hiking for many days and/or B. Unfit. Since I'm neither it's not at the top of my priority list. Maybe that will change as I get out and gain more experience backpacking, that seems to be the trend.

peterboysen
03-07-2016, 17:06
You're probably slightly pushing the comfortable of the bag, but you're also definitely on the right track with underinflating the pad reducing its insulating value, potentially by a good amount (though how much it's an issue varies from pad to pad, and also in whether their R-value specs take into account some underinflation for comfort purposes).

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 17:08
OP, don't you realize that it is impossible to have a successful hiking experience (of any length) with a 40 pound pack...

I heard some areas have made it illegal to hike with a backpack to body weight ratio higher than 20%. Maybe if I'm sneaky enough I can get by ;).

Seriously though, the base weight of my pack was 22 pounds when I tested. Add in a few days food and I'm still around that 30 pound mark. Not too bad...

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 17:29
You're probably slightly pushing the comfortable of the bag, but you're also definitely on the right track with underinflating the pad reducing its insulating value, potentially by a good amount (though how much it's an issue varies from pad to pad, and also in whether their R-value specs take into account some underinflation for comfort purposes).

Thanks for the info. I suspected that may be the case. Next time if I'm pushing such temperature limits I'll try inflating more and see how it goes.

Snowleopard
03-07-2016, 19:16
Sleeping pad: if it seems that you're cold because of heat loss through the pad, there's several things to do.
Put your extra clothing underneath you to increase the R rating of the pad +clothing. If your bag is not warm enough wear the extra clothes or put them on top of the bag.
Bring a light foam pad to use in addition to your mattress on cold nights.
Increase the air pressure in the pad; this has been measured to increase the R value. It will make it somewhat less comfortable.

RockDoc
03-07-2016, 20:42
I'd like to hear how you are developing your hiking skills.
All this emphasis on gear by a newby hiker seems somehow odd to me. Shiny objects.

It takes some effort to develop basic competence in the outdoors...

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-07-2016, 21:59
Thanks for the tips snowleopard! I have been considering one of those fold up closed cell pads that could serve multiple purposes, a summer pad, a seat, and to double up with my primary pad in cold temperatures. The cost is so low on that style of pad... worth a try.

I'd like to hear how you are developing your hiking skills.
All this emphasis on gear by a newby hiker seems somehow odd to me. Shiny objects.

It takes some effort to develop basic competence in the outdoors...

Isn't part of "basic competence in the outdoors" understanding the how and why of necessary (and shiny) gear?

Mr. Bumpy
03-07-2016, 22:19
I think heavy weights are a perfect compliment to backpacking. Over the past five years I have shifted away from cycling 150+ miles per week to strength based lifting, mostly squat, dead, clean, snatch, and maybe just a little bit of body building. The change in my body has fantastically added to my backpacking enjoyment. My typical backpack trips are 2-5 nights and 8-16 miles per day. Overall I have less joint pain, especially the knees, and I can squat down in a hole and pump water for however long without having to get down on my knees or having my lower back get sore. So as I age I find weightlifting to be better time spent as a conditioner for backpacking than an aerobic activity. I still bicycle, but my sense is that it is less an important piece if I want to come off of the couch and go on a multi day backpack trip an not hurt afterwards.
Enjoy your new hobby. You live in a great place to practice it.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-08-2016, 09:42
I agree completely Mr. Bumpy. There's been a fairly recent revolution in fitness, we've learned strength training builds fitness/health that crosses over to everything in a way that no other exercise regimen does. High level athletes who used to do little strength training are implementing it (Jon Jones, arguably the greatest MMA fighter ever, is a recent example). I'm quite sure that training will greatly benefit me in my upcoming backpacking adventures.

As a side note, REI has their lightest 2 person backpacking tent on clearance $200, down from $350 retail, with an extra 25% off ending today, making the total $150 (price wont show until you add to cart). https://www.rei.com/product/862419/rei-dash-2-tent
You also get a $20 gift card if you're an REI Coop member.

It seemed like a no brainer for me to send the MountainSmith Morrison back to amazon (I payed $180 + tax w/footprint). I'll be loosing some durability, and space (2 inches length/width) but the pack size is significantly smaller and it will shave off nearly 3 pounds of weight (5lb 9oz vs 2lb 15 oz). Hopefully I made the right choice as I really liked the mountainsmith morrison.

DuneElliot
03-08-2016, 11:26
As a side note, REI has their lightest 2 person backpacking tent on clearance $200, down from $350 retail, with an extra 25% off ending today, making the total $150 (price wont show until you add to cart). https://www.rei.com/product/862419/rei-dash-2-tent
You also get a $20 gift card if you're an REI Coop member.

It seemed like a no brainer for me to send the MountainSmith Morrison back to amazon (I payed $180 + tax w/footprint). I'll be loosing some durability, and space (2 inches length/width) but the pack size is significantly smaller and it will shave off nearly 3 pounds of weight (5lb 9oz vs 2lb 15 oz). Hopefully I made the right choice as I really liked the mountainsmith morrison.

Sadly I've heard that the tent isn't very good in rain...the fly design is just terrible. I hope it works out okay for you but the reviews don't seem to support that.

For $160 and 3.5lbs (half a pound more than the Dash) you could get a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. Just a thought.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-08-2016, 15:16
You're right, I saw the reviews on the rain fly design. I'm hoping it's not too much of an issue. If it is I'll take it back to REI or see if I can do this modification: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTwjkOuyhRI

Where is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo available @ $160? Amazon does have one seller at that price (+ shipping), but they only have one review. Six Moons website has it listed @ $320.

QiWiz
03-08-2016, 15:25
What, no cathole trowel?

Tipi Walter
03-08-2016, 15:29
BlueRideBackpacking: You're in my neck of the woods! I've done most of my backpacking between the Shenandoahs, Mt Rogers, Boone NC, Pisgah NF, Shining Rock, Joyce Kilmer, Citico, Snowbirds, Big Frog and Cohutta. NC has a lot of great backpacking destinations.

Some recommendations:
** Do Linville Gorge and take the Mountains to Sea trail east across Hiway 181 and down into Upper Creek and Raider Camp Creek and Harper and Lost Cove Creek. Awesome area.

** No brainer: Do Grayson Highlands and Mt Roger trails.

** Head into Robbinsville and do all the trails in the Snowbird backcountry.

** Explore the AT from Georgia up to Fontana including Cheoah Bald etc.

** West of Robbinsville do all the trails in Slickrock and Citico wilderness.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-08-2016, 15:50
I'm all set on a cathole trowel, no worries :)! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YT4DJO?keywords=cathole%20trowel&qid=1457466172&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

BlueRideBackpacking: You're in my neck of the woods! I've done most of my backpacking between the Shenandoahs, Mt Rogers, Boone NC, Pisgah NF, Shining Rock, Joyce Kilmer, Citico, Snowbirds, Big Frog and Cohutta. NC has a lot of great backpacking destinations.

Some recommendations:
** Do Linville Gorge and take the Mountains to Sea trail east across Hiway 181 and down into Upper Creek and Raider Camp Creek and Harper and Lost Cove Creek. Awesome area.

** No brainer: Do Grayson Highlands and Mt Roger trails.

** Head into Robbinsville and do all the trails in the Snowbird backcountry.

** Explore the AT from Georgia up to Fontana including Cheoah Bald etc.

** West of Robbinsville do all the trails in Slickrock and Citico wilderness.

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations! I am mostly clueless as to where to hike around here and with 4 young children my opportunities are often limited. The only reason I found the local MST trailhead (off of 19 between Cherokee/Maggie Valley) is because the blue ridge parkway was closed and I was just wandering around. I hike there regularly, did a short 3 mile today testing some trekking poles (love em).

Next month a buddy and I are going to do a 3 to 4 day trip and are trying to find a good spot. He's driving up all the way from FL. We were planning on starting the MST at the beginning (clingmans dome, going the GSMNP route). Would you recommend we do something else?

DuneElliot
03-08-2016, 15:52
It's the Outfitter not Explorer version:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/outfitter.html

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-10-2016, 09:24
I received the REI dash 2 yesterday and set it up in the back yard. I learned that L x W x H tent dimensions can be quite deceiving! The only way I see two people getting in that tent is if they are extremely small. Even though it was only 2 inches less in both length and height compared to the Mountainsmith Morrison 2, the angles of the tent made it significantly tighter. I am 5'11" and I could not lay on my back, on top of my pad, without my toes hitting the top of the tent AND my head touching the back. Maybe with a thinner pad I could make it work but I decided to return it and keep the Morrison. Oh well, was worth a try. And now I have an excuse to go to REI ;).

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-10-2016, 10:26
A few photos:

Packed size comparison (left to right). Big Agnes Insulated Double Z Wide/Long Pad, REI Dash 2 Tent, Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Tent
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Nefarion/20160309_185925_zps0ne5rhqq.jpg

Dash 2 (tarp was put down quickly to keep the mud off, I realize it should be completely under the tent as a proper footprint)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Nefarion/20160309_165119_RichtoneHDR_zpsjvau9va3.jpg

With the fly on, it appears to be a spaceship from Star Wars.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Nefarion/20160309_172429_zps1cr1ah3c.jpg

Taking a break on the Mountains to Sea trail
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Nefarion/20160308_114144_RichtoneHDR_zpsqi4egquj.jpg

DuneElliot
03-10-2016, 12:29
I really think the design of the fly is horrible on the Dash 2.

rainydaykid
03-10-2016, 13:16
Eventually you are going to want a thru hike, it happens. I started with day hikes, then went overnights, then multiday hikes. After I did a month on the AT in 2009, I did a thru hike in 2009. I'll be doing another thru hike in 2016, then the PCT next year.

You can get your base pack weight down to 15 lbs pretty easily, then lower with more skills and experience. I currently have my baseweight at 10.4lbs, which is pretty good. I'm 5'11, 155lbs. I don't really do any strength training, I have severe depression, which limits my ability to work out, though it does help when I can drag myself down to the gym.

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-10-2016, 19:44
The main thing that will keep my from thru hiking anytime soon is 4 young children and a very busy wife. I'm sure I'll eventually get there though.

Did a "training" day hike today with a 30 pound pack. 12.5 total miles (approx 8mi on the blue ridge parkway, 4.5mi on the Mountains to Sea Trail going west from Waterrock Knob), 3151 Elevation gain, 33:48 min/mi pace. This was my first time on this section on the mountains to sea trail and I vastly underestimated the difficulty of the terrain. Wet rocks/roots, steep climbs, loose rocks, etc. I did not have enough calories in me and it really kicked my butt. Got a pretty nasty blister on my left foot too. Here's a couple photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Nefarion/20160310_152803_RichtoneHDR_zps0kzg5asl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/Nefarion/20160310_153827_RichtoneHDR_zpsugmwyxxg.jpg

poolskaterx
03-11-2016, 18:14
Glad to see you are outside enjoying your gear! Don't let the oz nazis get to you; people have backpacked with WAY heavier gear than what we use now days and were just fine. I will say that as your gear gets lighter, a side benefit is that the stuff is usually much more compact; that will help get your gear packed into that Osprey bag. Osprey also has a bazillion ways to attach stuff to the outside of the pack if you need more room. Loose those water bottles in the side pockets and split your tent up; body in one side pocket and ground sheet and fly in the other- BAM ton more room in your pack:)
Have fun and enjoy the experience.

kenl
03-13-2016, 18:22
I'm going to echo the suggestion to get rid of the Nalgene bottles. You save about 6oz by making the move to soda or smartwater bottles. And I would check with MSR. Most water systems have a screw top that works with soda bottles as well (for example Platypus). And to count grams the screw top for a soda bottle is smaller than the screw top for a Nalgene.

Think of it as zero based budgeting. You only want to carry so much. If you have to have the 6oz associated with the Nalgenes, in reality it means you're going to give up 6oz in some other piece of equipment (or food item).

kenl
03-13-2016, 18:27
I heard some areas have made it illegal to hike with a backpack to body weight ratio higher than 20%. Maybe if I'm sneaky enough I can get by ;).

Seriously though, the base weight of my pack was 22 pounds when I tested. Add in a few days food and I'm still around that 30 pound mark. Not too bad...

It all depends on how far you want to go without resupplying (I just went through this exact exercise). Four days of food will likely put you over the 30 pound mark and if you're carrying two liters of water, you're suddenly in the mid-thirties. Keep repeating the mantra, worry about the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves!

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-14-2016, 08:52
Thanks a bunch for the insight guys.

My primary goal for this setup was for 2/3 day trips. It's unlikely that I'll get the chance to do a 4+ day trip anytime soon. The weakest link in my "gear chain" is without a doubt the 5.5+ lb tent. Thanks to the insight gained in this thread I have the 1.5 lb Six Moons Designs Trekker in my sights (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html), that will shave off 4 pounds and get my base weight around the 18 lb mark. I really like how long that tent is (100" wow!) and that it utilizes trekking poles. The heavy 2 person tent will be a nice durable/spacious setup for when the wife and I go hiking (or if I replace it with something lighter, a great tent for my kiddos). I really like my Nalgene's, so it will likely be a while before I'd be willing to change them out for disposable bottles to shave 1/3rd of a pound.

My first real test "in the field" will be this Thursday night on the Mountains to Sea trail (very close to the last photos I posted). Can't wait!

Quick question, on my previous hike approximately 8 miles or so were on asphalt (Blue Ridge Parkway), and it completely destroyed the rubber tips on my trekking poles, which destroyed the primary tip underneath. I could tell this was happening (could hear the scrapping) but my knees were not happy unless I continued to use the poles. I was dissappointed that the rubber tips did not hold up for a single hike. Should I not be using trekking poles at all on the road? They really helped my knees... They are cheap "mountainsmith morrison" poles. Backcountryedge has a solid return policy and I'm sending them back for a budget set of Leki poles. I'm paranoid about ruining my new set though.