PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst

Hot5nics
03-07-2016, 21:51
I currently have a 52l Arc Blast I love. I want to keep this pack for when it is just me or me and the dog. But, I have started to get my son into hiking and I really don't want him carrying anymore than water and maybe a rain jacket. He is only going to be 6 this summer. If we bring the dog along that is even more gear. What do you think about the ULA Catalyst?

Venchka
03-08-2016, 10:36
If I can get my hands on one at a dealer in June for a real world test drive I'll probably buy it. I am hoping that the Catalyst, at 3 pounds, can replace my Dana Design Terraplane at 6 pounds 12 ounces. I wish I could say that I am a Catalyst user now. It is all just speculation until I can get my hands on one and load it to 40 pounds.
Good luck!

Wayne

Brewguy
03-08-2016, 10:41
without knowing what all you pack I'd say it might be a tight fit. I have a kelty 5600 and for me and my son it is a good size. If I really smashed the down to a small size I could free up some space but I don't see the need.

I don't know that I'm suggesting the kelty 90L just saying 75 in the catalyst might be small.

mankind117
03-08-2016, 11:27
I used the catalyst for several hundred miles, I personally did not like it nor do I understand the ULA love. It was very uncomfortable. The lumbar pad was very hard and felt like a hard lump just digging into the small of your back. The hip belt strangely did not full wrap (there is a couple inch gap between the lumbar pad and where there padding of the hipbelt starts) and was much thinner than the lumbar pad so all the weight was concentrated in a small area in your lower back. I remember a day in Zion where I had to carry a lot of water, it was just aweful the way the pack was carrying. If you want a larger, lightweight pack to carry a load for 3 pounds go with seekoutside
https://store.seekoutside.com/
There is just no comparison, their suspension is much better and more comfortable for carrying weight and once you use a pac with xpac in the rain you wonder why anyone could make a pack out of anything else.

DuneElliot
03-08-2016, 12:28
How about the Six Moon Designs Fusion 65? I don't own one but have heard from multiple people that it is a good pack for heavy carries and around the same price as the Catalyst. Might be worth buying both and trying them, and returning the one you don't like. This applies to trying any other packs too.

Venchka
03-08-2016, 12:33
I used the catalyst for several hundred miles, I personally did not like it nor do I understand the ULA love. It was very uncomfortable. The lumbar pad was very hard and felt like a hard lump just digging into the small of your back. The hip belt strangely did not full wrap (there is a couple inch gap between the lumbar pad and where there padding of the hipbelt starts) and was much thinner than the lumbar pad so all the weight was concentrated in a small area in your lower back. I remember a day in Zion where I had to carry a lot of water, it was just aweful the way the pack was carrying. If you want a larger, lightweight pack to carry a load for 3 pounds go with seekoutside
https://store.seekoutside.com/
There is just no comparison, their suspension is much better and more comfortable for carrying weight and once you use a pac with xpac in the rain you wonder why anyone could make a pack out of anything else.

Thank you. I keep thinking that the Seek Outside Divide 4500 (https://store.seekoutside.com/unaweep-divide-4500-73-l/) is the only replacement for the Terraplane. I'll be close enough to Grand Junction in September to pay them a visit.

Wayne

Hot5nics
03-08-2016, 14:10
The Six Moon Design pack seems very appealing.

mankind117
03-08-2016, 14:36
The one nice thing about ULA I will say is that being very tall and long torsoed they do at least make xl torso size packs, something I with other manufacturers would do. The beauty of the seekoutside frame is that they suspension is fully adjustable, as well as the frame height, if you want a taller frame, you just add extensions. I just don't understand packs (like the aformentioned six moon design packs or certain granite gear packs to name a few) with adjust able harnesses. There is little point to the adjustable harness on a fixed frame as in both the packs I mentioned putting it to the max height severely comprises the ability of the load lifters to actually do their job.

lonehiker
03-08-2016, 18:48
I used a Catalyst for several years (and ULA packs for about 10 years) and highly recommend them. That being said, without knowing your volume/weight requirements, it is really difficult to know if it fulfills your need. The same can be said for any of the recommended packs. You need to figure out what you need then search for a pack that meets that criteria.

Binjali
03-08-2016, 20:27
The ULA Catalyst was my pack for my 2007 AT attempt, and my successful AT thruhike last year. I made sure to measure myself and chose the recommended size for my torso and waist. I did have to change out the belt due to weight loss, twice. Changing took about 5-10 minutes each time. I did not have the feeling of a lump in my lower back or a feeling that suspended weight was concentrated over my lower back on last year's trip. I carried up to about 38lbs, usually 30lbs. You do not want to exceed the design weight limits, you will feel it when you do. In 2007, I started out with around 45lbs, and the pack felt like it wanted to pull my hips and shoulders off. There's a reason Mountain Crossings does so much UPS shipping.

Are there other packs? Yes, and other people carried them all the way to Maine. Several friends carried Circuits. Others carried Ospreys. Find a Catalyst , try it on. If it works, great! If it doesn't, get a different pack. Everyone is built slightly differently, why should we expect all packs to perfectly fit all of us? I will also say, every time I've called ULA on the phone, I've gotten friendly customer service.

sethd513
03-08-2016, 20:34
45lbs this winter and I was happy with it. Fit a huge two person tent. A quilt and mummy bag. An ocf and ccf pad. A bunch of stuff I really didn't need. I was surprised how comfortable it was considering I was over the max weight. I added some straps to the bottom. I would be comfortable with its construction at 45 to 48lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mags
03-08-2016, 20:51
The Catalyst has been a wonderful, all-purpose, work-horse pack for me. Winter? Guiding? Weight hauling? Works and works well. For me.

Venchka
03-09-2016, 00:19
My problem with all of the lightweight pack makers is the relatively small main bag and open "pockets" to arrive at a volume that rivals an Osprey Aether 70 pack.
I feel like someone is trying to fool me.
Has anyone done real volume comparisons between the Catalyst and other claimed 70 liter packs?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Just Tom
03-09-2016, 08:07
It is documented on their website what the breakdown is. I think the main compartment in the Catalyst was about 50 liters.

I actually just received a Catalyst from Massdrop. I'm still deciding if I like it, time will tell. So far I am not able to get water bottles in and out of those large pockets without taking it off.

colorado_rob
03-09-2016, 11:48
My problem with all of the lightweight pack makers is the relatively small main bag and open "pockets" to arrive at a volume that rivals an Osprey Aether 70 pack.
I feel like someone is trying to fool me.
Has anyone done real volume comparisons between the Catalyst and other claimed 70 liter packs? I hear ya on the volume thing, and I was put off a bit at first, like when I was shopping for ULA packs. But those huge, stretchy outside pockets are extremely handy / useful / convenient. Basically, all my overnight stuff is on the inside (tent, sleeping, cooking, longer-term food, small personal items), anything I need during the day in the outside pockets (layers, jackets, rain gear, trail food, pack cover, water, water filtration or treatment, TP, yada yada yada). It works very well for my particular style of long distance hiking.

Venchka
03-09-2016, 20:19
It is documented on their website what the breakdown is. I think the main compartment in the Catalyst was about 50 liters.

I actually just received a Catalyst from Massdrop. I'm still deciding if I like it, time will tell. So far I am not able to get water bottles in and out of those large pockets without taking it off.

I'm really concerned about that.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

mortonjl
04-02-2016, 05:53
Awesome pack, compare it and Circuit to your volume.