PDA

View Full Version : Smoky mountain through hiking

bstiffler
03-07-2016, 23:02
I looked on the website and as far as distance I should be fine to meet their distance criteria for though hiking but the margin fr ending 50 miles past the park may be a little narrow. What happens if you don't end 50+ miles outside. Do they track you or do they really care as long as you get through the park in your eight days?

HooKooDooKu
03-08-2016, 02:10
No one is going to pull out a tape measure to ensure you walked 264001 feet beyond the park boundary.

However, I think it could be considered a violation of the spirit of the rule if your entire hike is only 178 miles long (starting and ending 50 miles beyond the park boundary). Sounds a lot more like a section hiker for a trail over 2,000 miles long.

Tennessee Viking
03-08-2016, 08:41
Its self reporting and helps regulate the shelter numbers.

map man
03-08-2016, 09:01
Wayah Gap is between 50 and 51 trail miles south of the park. Allen Gap is between 50 and 51 trail miles north of the park. If your hike takes in at least that much trail then you meet both the letter and spirit of the Park requirements for a "thru-hiker" permit. It's on the honor system -- no enforcement -- but it sounds like you intend to be honorable about it.

I did a similar hike last year but I started at Winding Stair Gap (between 56 and 57 trail miles south of the park).