PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing New Tent

jreader213
03-08-2016, 14:53
Hi all, I'm currently looking for suggestions for a lightweight tent under, or at least very close, to 32 ounces with a decent amount of wiggle room. I like to sleep with my pack in my tent so space is a bit of a concern, but obviously functionality goes a lot further than convenience. I am currently planning on a Benton-MacKaye thru-hike in April / May as well as a John Muir Trail thru-hike in July so I need a tent with a good amount of functionality in terms of weather and conditions. I'd also like to use this for a future AT thru-hike in two years, but of course that's a fair amount of time away.

I'm currently looking at the Six Moon Designs Skyscrape, LightHeart Solo, and the Tarptent Notch and ProTrail. I like the size of the ProTrail, but I'm not sure how willing I am to abandon double wall tents just yet. I'm heavily leaning towards the Notch, but of course the size is smaller than the ProTrail and costs $300. I love the weights of the SMD and Lightheart tents, but the tent space just seems a little too small for both me and a pack.

Any experiences or help would be much appreciated! I'd definitely be interested in hearing other options, but please keep in mind I'm trying to stick around a $250-300 budget. Also to note, my current tent weighs about 60 ounces so almost anything would be a weight reduction, but I'd love to shave at least half the weight.

DuneElliot
03-08-2016, 14:58
I have the SMD Lunar Solo. It's small but I think there's enough room for me and a pack

virginia jen
03-08-2016, 15:34
I thru hiked the AT with a Lightheart Solo. I didn't have any issues fitting my pack in my tent at night.

DuneElliot
03-08-2016, 15:56
The SMD Trekker might be a slightly better option for a taller person as it has an arch shape (like the LHG Solo) to it vs the pyramid style of the Lunar Solor

Venchka
03-08-2016, 17:26
Solong 6. Vast amounts of interior VOLUME compared to the others. I know. I build 3-D computer models of thets I am interested in. The Solong 6, with the 8" bathtub walls, peak height and extra room all around your sleeping pad is well worth the slight increase in weight. Judy added larger peak vents recently and the awning provides ample room for sitting out storms.
StratoSpire 1 from TarpTent if you want even more space and full double wall functionality.

Wayne

Franco
03-08-2016, 18:27
The floor space of the Notch is less than the one on the ProTrail but the vestibules are very usable both for storage and (if you can where you hike) cooking and eating.
There is very little spare space inside the floor for a pack but , as some do, you could take the bits that you want inside and just hang the pack on one of the poles if you want to keep it off the ground.
Something like this :
that is a full ULA Circuit, it would be smaller with the mat/sleeping bag and bits out of it...
That photo should also give you an idea of the vestibules size .
Another nice fearture is that the inner (mesh or semi solid, your choice) can be taken down from the inside in a minute or so.
Handy if you want to have someone else sitting inside the tent with you or just to store away dry if the fly is wet and you have no time in the morning to let it dry.
franco@traptent

Franco
03-08-2016, 18:30
I should have added.. at 5'8" I have enough space at one end of the Notch to store the pack inside once the mat/sleeping bag and night bits are out of it.

Vegan Packer
03-08-2016, 18:56
The SMD Trekker might be a slightly better option for a taller person as it has an arch shape (like the LHG Solo) to it vs the pyramid style of the Lunar Solor

With the Trekker, I put the pack under fly coverage, but not inside, and that left plenty of room. For this coming season, I switched to a ZPacks Duplex, which is bigger but even lighter.

If you want to see the Trekker layout with gear stowed, watch my video from 16:18 to 19:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtlSbaAY7o

jreader213
03-08-2016, 18:56
Wow, thank you guys so much for you're input! I really like you're idea Franco (I have a Circuit as well), but I'm pretty heavily leaning towards wanting to keep my pack inside my tent. I'm a very very heavy sleeper, particularly after a long day hiking, and I'd rather not have to even be concerned about anything coming near my bag.

Does anyone have any more thoughts on the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo? I've been looking around / talking to other groups and it definitely looks like I can fit my bag plus myself in there. I suppose I should have also mentioned I'm about 5'11, possibly 6'. I like the idea of the SoLong, but definitely trying to save weight where I can. I'd love to get some more input as all of this is really very very helpful!!

Franco
03-08-2016, 20:47
If a single wall is OK for you then the ProTrail is worth another look as it is the TT tent specifically designed for through hikes.
Large enough to take two std mats side by side or a long and wide one with good side space, packs up very small because it does not have poles or struts and the new design with the large end vent has good airflow even when it rains because even open that vent is protected ( apart from wind driven rain on that end but then you don't need ventilation)
Works best (weight/stored size) if you already use two trekking poles.
Take a look at the set up video, very easy to do :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lLF6l-5BPs
Henry at TT USA does it slightly differently (even easier if you are 6' tall, longer arms...) so take a look at that too but either way is pretty fast to do.

cjlusmc
03-08-2016, 22:24
If you want double walled design, you could always look at a tarp tent moment DW (double wall). I'm more into hanging these days due to back issues, but my moment DW is the tent I hung onto. Super easy to set up and have never had condensation issues even in the middle of summer in coastal NC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

bigcranky
03-09-2016, 08:04
If I had to buy a solo tent right now it would be the Notch. I like to have my door on the long side, rather than at the head end -- and the Notch has TWO doors on the long side(s) !! Great ventilation, two vestibules for gear, & good views. I don't care one way or the other about double wall versus single wall, but the Notch is still very light even for a double wall tent. Of course you need to use trekking poles already in order to get the most weight savings (if you don't, consider the Moment DW).

DuneElliot
03-09-2016, 10:09
Wow, thank you guys so much for you're input! I really like you're idea Franco (I have a Circuit as well), but I'm pretty heavily leaning towards wanting to keep my pack inside my tent. I'm a very very heavy sleeper, particularly after a long day hiking, and I'd rather not have to even be concerned about anything coming near my bag.

Does anyone have any more thoughts on the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo? I've been looking around / talking to other groups and it definitely looks like I can fit my bag plus myself in there. I suppose I should have also mentioned I'm about 5'11, possibly 6'. I like the idea of the SoLong, but definitely trying to save weight where I can. I'd love to get some more input as all of this is really very very helpful!!

If you can wait until the weekend I will be putting mine up and can take some pictures of me, plus pack, in the tent. Bear in mind I am only 5'5 and 125# but it should give you an idea.

If you want another idea of what it looks like with a guy in it go to YouTube and search Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. There are 3-4 good videos that will show you how big it is and give you a really good idea what it's like.

jreader213
03-10-2016, 10:05
Well guys, with your help and some others, I've narrowed by choices down the Lightheart Gear Solo (maybe the SoLong) or the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. All of these tents have pretty solid weights coupled with a decent amount of size for me. I like the idea of being able to pitch these tents in tight settings, and being able to keep my pack inside the tent with me. I think one of my biggest hang ups right now though, is the price difference between the Lightheart solo and the SMD Solo. The LH is essentially $100 more than the SMD solo, but it does look a little bit more spacious than the SMD solo.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help is of course much appreciated

backtrack213
03-10-2016, 10:07
I know its out of your price range but the zpacks duplex tent is a great option. You may get lucky looking on other forums for a used one. They only weigh 21oz and fit two people so plenty of room for a pack. only downside is the cost 500-600$ but quality is top notch and made to your specific order.

wannahike
03-10-2016, 11:07
Well guys, with your help and some others, I've narrowed by choices down the Lightheart Gear Solo (maybe the SoLong) or the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. All of these tents have pretty solid weights coupled with a decent amount of size for me. I like the idea of being able to pitch these tents in tight settings, and being able to keep my pack inside the tent with me. I think one of my biggest hang ups right The LH is essentially $100 more than the SMD solo, but it does look a little bit more spacious than the SMD solo.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help is of course much appreciated

I have a brand new LH Gear Solo. Set up in the backyard 4 times the tie outs are still clean. Pewter with a cranberry floor, one door. Seam sealed by LH Gear. I guess I am one that doesn't like/can't figure out the fiddle factor.

$240.00 shipped Conus. You get everything I got including the LightHeart Gear sticker.

jreader213
03-10-2016, 16:26
I have a brand new LH Gear Solo. Set up in the backyard 4 times the tie outs are still clean. Pewter with a cranberry floor, one door. Seam sealed by LH Gear. I guess I am one that doesn't like/can't figure out the fiddle factor.

$240.00 shipped Conus. You get everything I got including the LightHeart Gear sticker.

PM Sent, very interested

Avid_Hiker
04-12-2016, 18:54
Slightly over your price range i think they are about $350? The nemo hornet 2P fits all your needs. Its only 2lbs. It says its a two person but from my experience its a lot more comfortable if its just you and your pack. Found a review of it HERE (http://www.hikecampsurvive.com/best-backpacking-tents/) which might help you.

Odd Man Out
04-12-2016, 20:46
I sold my Skyscape and replaced it with a Notch. Like the Notch better. I found the flat roof panel at the foot of the Skyskape would sag onto my feet. I found the bathtub floor not to stay up around the edges. The door tie backs were not well placed and hard to manipulate. It needed a second door (which I think they have since added). Not a bad tent. I just liked the Notch better. The interior of the Notch is tight but the generous vestibules make up for it. May not work if you like to have lots of stuff in your tent.

Slosteppin
04-12-2016, 20:47
I have been using the LHG Solo for 3 or 4 years. I am very happy with it and always keep my pack inside. OTOH, I'm only 5'8". I don't think I would like the Solo if I were any taller - at 5'11" you might be against both ends.

archie
04-12-2016, 20:58
I have a LHG solo and I love it. I cant see how anyone could think it has a fiddle factor as it can be completely set up a minute or two, but everyone has their own take on things like that. It does have a large footprint, especially the length. I can see where that could be annoying but it has never bothered me and I have crammed it into some tight spots.

The ends are pointy and I have heard some people say that is wasted space. I can see that but I just put my stuff there and it isn't wasted space.

I recommend the LHG solo, but I have not tried one of the tarptents that Franco sells. I know they are very popular and well liked.

Secondmouse
04-16-2016, 13:58
Solong 6. Vast amounts of interior VOLUME compared to the others. I know. I build 3-D computer models of thets I am interested in. The Solong 6, with the 8" bathtub walls, peak height and extra room all around your sleeping pad is well worth the slight increase in weight. Judy added larger peak vents recently and the awning provides ample room for sitting out storms.
StratoSpire 1 from TarpTent if you want even more space and full double wall functionality.

Wayne

the TT Stratospire1 is what I came here to recommend and the large vestibules is what sold me on it. I like having mny gear under cover, I just don't necessarily like taking it inside my sleeping area...

Venchka
04-17-2016, 16:23
the TT Stratospire1 is what I came here to recommend and the large vestibules is what sold me on it. I like having mny gear under cover, I just don't necessarily like taking it inside my sleeping area...

I hear you. I can't get the SS 1 or 2 off of my short list. I even bought folding trekking poles so I could use the StratoSpire on bike touring trips.
So many good tents around.

Wayne

Franco
04-17-2016, 18:40
" I even bought folding trekking poles so I could use the StratoSpire on bike touring trips. "
We do have some very good poles available for our "trekking pole " supported tents.
Called Vertical Support pole, (page 4 under Extras) $16 each , about 4 oz.
They are Easton 0.490 (12.4 mm) 16" folded, they feel similar to the lighter weight trekking poles.
franco@tarptent