PDA

View Full Version : Planning on minimum mail drops....

left52side
03-08-2016, 17:11
Ok after some early thought and more researching I think I have cut my mail drops down (with the exception of bounce box) to almost nothing except maybe five or so if that.
I am planning on neals gap being the first one, can anyone recommend any more that I might possibly need along a thru hike to avoid the convenience store resupply ,,,I will need dog food along the way as well,which will most likely be contents of bounce box along with shoes and small luxury items.

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2016, 12:45
The food re-supply available at Neel Gap is actually quite good. Bring two days worth if you're planning to go into Helen GA freom Unicoi Gap; bring three and a half to four if you're going into Hiawassee from Dick's Creek Gap.

As far as other places, sending a small drop to the NOC and Fontana Dam is probably not a bad idea, as food selection at both places is limited and expensive.

lonehiker
03-09-2016, 16:40
Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles, although written several years ago, are a great resource to plan your re-supply. I have only found a couple of points of disagreement with the articles. One being that the Fontana store was more than adequate for resupply. I am unsure if it was/is pricey as I didn't make purchases there as I had sent a maildrop to the PO.

left52side
03-09-2016, 17:08
ok NOC and fontana dam was another two points I will check into for sure and most likley cut neels gap out for mail drop,but might have to still mail drop my pooch his food there so might as well send mine to if I am already sending dog food there.
Thats rthree so far
Neels gap
NOC and fonatana dam

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2016, 17:28
The re-supply options at Fontana are much better than they used to be, tho they often don't have some popular items in quantity, so if you get there to shop late in the day or you're the fifteenth thru-hiker that arrived there that day, items like peanut butter, boxes of pop tarts, block of cheese, bread, etc. may well be gone when you want them, and the store will likely be out of those items for several days. For these reasons, I always thought it prudent to send a small maildrop there, but you could certainly get by without doing so.

Oh, and they do have dog food at Neel, but you might want to put together a small package of your dog's favorite and have it there waiting for you. When you get to Hiawassee, there are two full-service supermarkets in the center of town, the better being Ingles.

left52side
03-09-2016, 20:40
Oh, and they do have dog food at Neel, but you might want to put together a small package of your dog's favorite and have it there waiting for you. When you get to Hiawassee, there are two full-service supermarkets in the center of town, the better being Ingles.

Jack Tarlin (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/227-Jack-Tarlin) thank you
Would you know how avalible dog food is along the trail.
Or key points where I would need to make sure he had ample amount ?
This is what worries about mail drops more so than myself,I can live on snickers bars for three day as he cannot.

kodiak319
03-26-2016, 12:34
I will be walking with a dog and figuring that I would not be able to find the food he eats I made up a mail drop sheet for the entire trail.  It is an xls file which I've tried to upload and attach here, yet keep getting the message that it is an invalid file.  If someone cares to and can walk me through that attachment process, I'll put it up.

Jeff
03-27-2016, 07:06
Our hiker box always seems to have half a bag of dry dog food.