PDA

View Full Version : It me again needing more sage advice!

NewHeart
03-08-2016, 22:30
Well guys and gals I leave for Springer in 49 days. Mostly I'm ready except I'm dehydrating my own food. 5 pounds of jerky in the dehydrator as I type. Any how, here in the Chicago area it's gotten warmer, too warm for my Apex TQ & UQ I think. I've been watching the weather report for the AT and it's warmer yet down in GA. So here where the advice is needed.

Do I mail drop the APEX TQ & UQ and start out with my woobie TQ & UQ? Do I still need to pack the my winter fleece layers and down jacket and vest or mail drop those as well?

Oh, I should mention these are the weights for my summer and winter packs with pack,sleep system and cook system.
Summer - #8.5
Winter - #9.8

Stitches
03-08-2016, 22:36
Writing from North Georgia---I am training for a section hike and was on the AT between Woody Gap and Blood Mt this weekend and last---snow in the shady areas and cold on the windward sides of ridges. Probably don't need a down jacket but yes to fleece layers warm hat.

Malto
03-08-2016, 22:42
So, you think a warm day in Chicago means anything for the weather in 49 days in the north Ga mountains?

NewHeart
03-08-2016, 22:42
Writing from North Georgia---I am training for a section hike and was on the AT between Woody Gap and Blood Mt this weekend and last---snow in the shady areas and cold on the windward sides of ridges. Probably don't need a down jacket but yes to fleece layers warm hat.
I forgot to say i'm leaving on 4/26.

Rain Man
03-08-2016, 23:41
Sage advice of experience: By all means, take the extra 1.3 lbs!

;)

AlyontheAT2016
03-09-2016, 03:03
Chances are there will be one last fluke cold front. Chicago weather has no relation to southern mountain weather. You're better off starting with more and not needing it, than starting with less and needing it badly. You can always ship stuff home.

daddytwosticks
03-09-2016, 08:10
The weather "experts" are predicting a warmer than usual March. Who knows what's in store for the rest of the Spring. Be prepared and bring your warmer kit. :)