PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Rainshadow2

trclark
03-09-2016, 12:34
Hello! I am hoping to get some tips for my tent. I have been speaking with Tarptent but am hoping to get some additional help. I can set it up on non windy days no problem...works great. But I have been trying to set up in windy conditions and I am having trouble. Serious slack and it blows over. We have very sandy soil. I've watched the video but I think I am just doing it wrong. Any tips or photos would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell, I am new to this but I have set up other regular dome tents before with no issues.

B.j. Clark
03-09-2016, 12:46
In this video the tent is set up with the two front corners staked before putting up the front pole. That makes pitching in windy weather easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=son1365nE-U

You might also need longer and additional stakes with more holding power like MSR groundhogs to deal with soil conditions.

trclark
03-09-2016, 12:55
Thank you. Henry suggested longer stakes as well. I will get the stakes and see how it goes.

trclark
03-09-2016, 16:07
Recommendation on another tent to fit 2 people please.

Lnj
03-09-2016, 16:15
TT Double Moment. I have put it up in strong wind with no problem and it holds well. Double Wall = no condensation issues. Pretty roomy with 2 side doors and adjustable vestibules.

martinb
03-09-2016, 20:57
More info needed. What is the purpose of the tent? Backpacking, car camping, etc. Is weight your primary concern? Do you camp in extended periods of bad weather? There are a lot of variables. Knowing what you want out of a tent is more important than a particular brand.

LIhikers
03-09-2016, 21:57
My wife and I have been using a Tarptent Rainshadow for years, in all kinds of conditions.
It's a great tent that has provided protection and comfort in weather of every kind for us and our 90 pound dog.
Let me suggest that you keep practicing the set-up until you get good at it so that you can get the best this tent has to offer.

bigcranky
03-09-2016, 22:05
We had a Rainshadow, the original one, when we hiked with our daughter. Great tent. It does, however, have very large side panels that catch a lot of wind. Of course you are pitching it with the foot end into the wind, right? But then the wind shifts... :) Longer stakes would help in sandy or soft soil.

We eventually ended up with a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo, which is fabulous for two people -- IMHO it has substantially more usable space inside than the Rainshadow, though it only sleeps two, not three.

trclark
03-13-2016, 12:13
Thank you! You are correct...I need to practice more with it. It is a great tent and I have had no problems with it on non windy days.

trclark
03-13-2016, 12:18
BigCranky...the large side panels do give me some trouble. It is like a sail in the wind. :) I am looking into the Big Agnes now. I like the dome style and the extra support that the poles give the tent. It is what I am use to. But will keep practicing with the Rainshadow and use it when hubby joins me for camping.

Thank you for all the information...it is appreciated!!