PDA

View Full Version : Experience with temperatures GA/NC mid March to May?

NicksMaint
03-09-2016, 12:41
I am wondering if anyone is willing to share their experience with the basic temperatures encountered (really just concerned on the low end) for the AT in GA and NC. Time frame is mid March through April. I can cover sleeping options down to 0* being from the Northeast. My initial pack load takes into account being able to handle well below 20*, but from the poking around I have been able to do, it seems like the temperatures in the mountains don't normally go that low in the time frame I am looking at. Would be nice to swap out for a 20* setup right out of the gate, however I am able to carry the bulkier/heavier items if it means making sure that I am warm at night. Any experience/opinion on this part of the trail at this time would be appreciated.

TIA.

Tom (NicksMaint)

Blissful
03-09-2016, 14:10
Low end - single digits. High end, 70s. If you are sectioning keep an eye on the temps before you go.

HooKooDooKu
03-09-2016, 14:48
The worst will obviously be at higher elevations such as encountered in Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Climate data in GSMNP puts the night time lows close to freezing in mid-March, with lows in the mid-40's by May.
But from what I've experienced, actual conditions routinely deviate from the climate average by +/-15º (more is possible if an unusual cold front comes thru).

So while extreme weather events could force low temperatures at the tops of the mountain into the single digits, what you are likely to encounter are lows between 20º and 40º in mid March (at upper elevations) increasing to levels that remain above freezing up to about 50º.

On the other end, in the valleys, you could see day time temperatures as high as the 90's by the end of May (but more likely to be around 70's to lower 80s).

Gambit McCrae
03-09-2016, 18:05
I had great temps last spring. warmer days for shorts and tshirt, colder 15* sleeping bag for at nights.

Comet Omega
03-09-2016, 21:46
Started March 12th in 2014. Temps were low of 15 ish only a couple of nights. Snow in the Smokies over my knees and I'm tall!

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2016, 22:36
Here's a link to Mt LeConte April temps http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_MtLeconte_Gatlinburg_TN_April.html

Low teens for a few nights are probable, possible single digit temps. But average lows will be in the 20's.

NicksMaint
03-11-2016, 07:23
Thank you for the replies. It probably makes sense to stay with a warmer setup at least until I get through the Smokies. Then I can see if it makes sense to swap out for lighter/less bulky gear.

Tom (Nicksmaint)