PDA

View Full Version : Ticks in Georgia / N.C./ Tennessee

Brad L
03-09-2016, 13:56
Just wondering how much I really need to worry about tick's between Springer and Fontana Dam during the month of April? Or, even into the Smokies. I believe this area would not be too bad this time of year, any thoughts?

Blissful
03-09-2016, 14:03
Always be concerned about ticks. Use permethrin on your clothing, socks and shoes.

Gambit McCrae
03-09-2016, 14:05
There are ticks in every state along the AT. I personally choose to take them as they come as I do not want chemicals on my body. Rarely do they stay on long enough to set a bite but there seems to be tick sightings year round. You get a couple warm days in a row and they come out. If you stay on the trail, and not getting over in the undergrowth too much you should be just fine.

tarditi
03-09-2016, 15:03
Ticks are there... deer ticks, dog ticks... how you deal with them is up to you. I know a few people with lyme's and it's no fun whatsoever.

Tipi Walter
03-09-2016, 16:20
I'm taking my sea to summit headnet for a March trip as the gnats are out intermittently. Ticks are dealt with on a per-tick basis. No chems please.

Traveler
03-09-2016, 16:35
Ticks are pretty much omnipresent in the forest environment, though not all of them carry diseases. They get a little sluggish when the temps get below 40 and under about 30 degrees they will go into a dormant state. Once they warm up a bit though, they are up and around looking for adventure.

I wouldn't be overly worried, but they should be in the back of your mind. Deer ticks carry Lyme disease and are very, very small, making them difficult to see, a good technique is to use your hands as you self inspect. Ticks also stick well to manmade fiber (think velcro), so gentle shaking may not do the trick if you have some on a shirt or pants.

HooKooDooKu
03-09-2016, 17:16
There's places where ticks are bad, and places where ticks are not so bad.

One example is that GSMNP seems to be such a humid area, that tick, while they exist, don't thrive. In the 20 years I've been camping in GSMNP, I've seen more ticks on the ground or on a tree than I've ever seen on my or any of my kids or other hiking partners.

NewHeart
03-09-2016, 20:07
I'm glad I saw this post! I will error on the side of precaution! As some of you know, I am a heart transplant and can't afford a tick bite as it could be deadly for me. That said I'm with Bliss.

Offshore
03-09-2016, 20:26
I'm glad I saw this post! I will error on the side of precaution! As some of you know, I am a heart transplant and can't afford a tick bite as it could be deadly for me. That said I'm with Bliss.

Since the stakes are so high for you, look for InsectShield clothing or send in your own to be treated. http://www.insectshield.com/

The Cleaner
03-09-2016, 20:43
I haven't had a tick on me in like 20 years of hiking the TN/NC area.I don't do much hiking after June and usually don't start again till September. Tipi Walter is spot on with the headnet-the biting gnats will drive you crazy on certain days once it warms up.:eek: I highly recommend a headnet for the warmer days here in the south.The biting gnats seem to have a cycle where they may be terrible for a few days then gone for a few days.One reason I enjoy the cold weather,no gnats and less people...

pauly_j
03-10-2016, 05:58
error on the side of precaution!

I love that. I hate people who feel the need to correct people on grammar and spelling but that is so far of the mark that I want to help. The figure of speech is to 'err on the side of caution'.

Harrison Bergeron
03-10-2016, 16:31
I did that section last year in May and didn't see tick one. I soaked all my gear in Permethrin, but the guys I was hiking with didn't and they didn't see any ticks either. It was still getting down to around freezing most nights, so maybe they weren't out in force yet.

codrock
03-13-2016, 14:34
Nicely stated. I was so tempted to comment on that blurb but was searching for a way so as not to offend.

Uncle Joe
03-13-2016, 14:42
If you don't treat your clothes, it's a gamble. The vast majority of Lyme cases occur in the Northeast. That said, I know people in the South who have caught Lyme. One, who is a hiker and instructor, treats everything with permethrin now. Clothes, pack, and tent. I treat my shoes, socks, and pants at the least.

Tipi Walter
03-13-2016, 14:46
I give no thought to ticks; not thinking about them before a trip, during a trip or after a trip. And I live in tick-infested East Tennessee. Ticks were placed here on Earth to keep me indoors and worrying, I guess. Except they are not working cuz I'm out all the time and not worrying about them.

Mayo Clinic says---
Lyme infection is unlikely if the tick is attached for less than 36 to 48 hours."

So pull them off, folks. Probably one reason I don't worry about them is because I live outside the lyme area---East TN---

http://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/lyme_states.jpg

Plus, if you find the telltale rash associated with lyme, antibiotics are near certain to kill it.

Cadenza
03-13-2016, 23:11
I don't worry about them is because I live outside the lyme area---East TN---

True. But we are smack dab in Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever territory.
RMSF can be some bad news.

NewHeart
03-14-2016, 08:15
I love that. I hate people who feel the need to correct people on grammar and spelling but that is so far of the mark that I want to help. The figure of speech is to 'err on the side of caution'.
Really,nit picking!

nsherry61
03-14-2016, 08:45
Really,nit picking!
Yeah, but picking tick's isn't the same thing as picking nits because ticks aren't laying their eggs on our hair follicles. ;-)

saltysack
03-14-2016, 21:18
I haven't had a tick on me in like 20 years of hiking the TN/NC area.I don't do much hiking after June and usually don't start again till September. Tipi Walter is spot on with the headnet-the biting gnats will drive you crazy on certain days once it warms up.:eek: I highly recommend a headnet for the warmer days here in the south.The biting gnats seem to have a cycle where they may be terrible for a few days then gone for a few days.One reason I enjoy the cold weather,no gnats and less people...

My experience also...never even had one on my dogs that I have found...I do treat pants with permethrin and dogs on flea tick preventative as well as bathe before and after with Adams flea shampoo. Check regularly but don't sweat it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old_Man
03-15-2016, 11:05

I believe the correct phrase is "far OFF the mark" not "far OF the mark." I mean, since we're splitting hairs here...

Wise Old Owl
03-15-2016, 12:25
My experience also...never even had one on my dogs that I have found...I do treat pants with permethrin and dogs on flea tick preventative as well as bathe before and after with Adams flea shampoo. Check regularly but don't sweat it.....

The Adams Flea Shampoo is perhaps too much. The monthly product such as Frontline on the back is fine, it is a systemic, non repellent. I would not use a combination of both. However, on short walks if you do not want ticks falling off when you get home. keep a can of repellent such as Deep Woods Off and just spray the legs, back and underbelly.

saltysack
03-15-2016, 15:55
The Adams Flea Shampoo is perhaps too much. The monthly product such as Frontline on the back is fine, it is a systemic, non repellent. I would not use a combination of both. However, on short walks if you do not want ticks falling off when you get home. keep a can of repellent such as Deep Woods Off and just spray the legs, back and underbelly.

Vet said was ok...he gets the flea med pill every 3 months. It's not very often that I use both. Usually only if I do a section in the summer which I usually avoid!!! I'll try using spray instead. Id rather keep them out of my tent dead or alive!

OldTrailDog
03-15-2016, 19:28
I believe the correct phrase is "far OFF the mark" not "far OF the mark." I mean, since we're splitting hairs here...

Hoist on his own petard, eh?

nsherry61
03-15-2016, 19:37
...he gets the flea med pill every 3 months. It's not very often that I use both. Usually only if I do a section in the summer which I usually avoid!!! I'll try using spray instead. Id rather keep them out of my tent dead or alive! . . .
The Seresto flea and tick collar (https://www.petbasics.com/products/seresto/?WHGRedir=1) is not your every-day flea and tick collar and comes highly recommended by a number of vets. We have had no tick issues since using the Seresto collar and I was on one hike with another dog that, over the day, the owner pulled 11 ticks off of while my dog didn't appear to get any. It's not cheap! But it is exceptionally effective.

oliviamariana
03-16-2016, 22:09
There are ticks in every state along the AT. I personally choose to take them as they come as I do not want chemicals on my body. Rarely do they stay on long enough to set a bite but there seems to be tick sightings year round. You get a couple warm days in a row and they come out. If you stay on the trail, and not getting over in the undergrowth too much you should be just fine.

Speaking from experience, tick paralysis is terrifying. BUT I'm also not enormously into nasty chemicals all over me and my dog. I agree that they're fairly avoidable for a person but how did you stop Ward from picking them up everywhere when they did come out?

Heliotrope
03-16-2016, 23:02

Busted! [emoji12]