PDA

View Full Version : Wise purchase?

skinnbones
03-09-2016, 18:41
I bought the Gregory Baltoro 65 pack and the Marmot Tungsten 1 person tent. Wise purchase or did they see me coming?

Jeronimo!
03-09-2016, 19:57
I thru hiked with a baltoro 65 , ditched the brain but absolutely love it

4shot
03-09-2016, 22:12
You will have plenty of people here shortly to tell you that you should have bought brand X pack or brand C tent instead of what you bought. Don't worry about it...just go use what you bought. just remember that it is probably better and lighter what most people carried just a few years ago. once you are on a trail, nobody worries about the name on the gear (so long as it is of high quality, which is what you have). The incessant back and forth worrying about which gear is better is exclusively an internet past time. quit worrying and go hiking.

Hosh
03-09-2016, 22:18
You will have plenty of people here shortly to tell you that you should have bought brand X pack or brand C tent instead of what you bought. Don't worry about it...just go use what you bought. just remember that it is probably better and lighter what most people carried just a few years ago. once you are on a trail, nobody worries about the name on the gear (so long as it is of high quality, which is what you have). The incessant back and forth worrying about which gear is better is exclusively an internet past time. quit worrying and go hiking.

+1000, hike your hike and enjoy the flowers

Malto
03-09-2016, 22:33
Why would it not be wise?

AlyontheAT2016
03-09-2016, 22:36
Just don't try to fill it up completely unless you want a really heavy pack (i.e. 40+ lbs) :)

Secondmouse
03-10-2016, 00:51
do you have the new (2015) Baltoro? I have the previous model that is heavier and even more bombproof (if you can believe that...).

I'll say this - it's not a lightweight but I doubt there is any more comfortable pack for me, and I looked plenty. because I often take kids with me, I end up carrying way more weight than is reasonable and this pack handles it perfectly. I've had it for two years and it still could pass for new.

I doubt anyone will mistake this pack for a thru- or section- hiker pack, but if I was headed into the wilderness to stay for awhile, this is the pack I'd want.

if you're young and in good shape, an extra pound is not going to make enough difference to matter. and if this is your first pack, eventually you'll refine your own needs, tastes, and style and maybe end up with something else.

in any case, I wouldn't sweat it, you could have done a lot worse...

Gambit McCrae
03-10-2016, 08:08
The gear is of good branding. I would have encouraged a smaller volume pack and perhaps a cottage company brand, but Gregory makes great gear. I have their contour pack from a year or so ago. I haven't ever dealt with Marmot, I see them in the hipster brand group along with north face and Patagonia. Which I own both brands of.

Another Kevin
03-10-2016, 13:52
The Baltoro is kind of heavy, but its suspension is top-notch and it's bombproof. Not a stupid puirchase at all, if it suits your hiking style.

Ditto the Marmot Tungsten tent. It's heavy, but freestanding and quick and easy to pitch. I chose to go with a lighter and more fragile, trekking-pole-supported tent instead, because I hike with poles anyway and it was a couple of pounds lighter.

The gear you mention is more on the 'traditionalist' than the 'ultralight' side of things. Nothing wrong with that if that's how you roll.. (If you don't know how you roll yet, you'll be replacing your gear at least once anyway, because everyone does as they learn what their style actually is and what they want the gear to do.)

DuneElliot
03-10-2016, 14:34
Definitely on the heavy side for both, but the tent was well priced.

martinb
03-10-2016, 14:43
Solid choices. Use the gear in the field, decide what you like and don't like, and make improvements.

Hangfire
03-10-2016, 20:25
Your pack and tent selection are just fine, it's your 2 burner coleman stove that you will catch grief for :-)

Enjoy your hike, and remember to look back and laugh at all the things that drove you crazy in preparation!

MuddyWaters
03-10-2016, 21:53
I bought the Gregory Baltoro 65 pack and the Marmot Tungsten 1 person tent. Wise purchase or did they see me coming?

Wise??

No.

The very fact you are looking for feedback means you are admitting to making an uninformed purchase, which is among the dumbest things that you can do. Regardless of suitability of the gear.

What did you pay?
What will you use it for?
What does you total kit weigh?
What are your needs, and desires?
Do you accept the inherent drawbacks?
Does pack fit you well?
Have you tried it with your carried weight?

All these things, and more, factor into a "wise" purchase.
If you make an informed purchase, you wont seek others feedback on it, or have questions, you will know the answers before you buy.

4shot
03-10-2016, 22:15
Wise??

No.

The very fact you are looking for feedback means you are admitting to making an uninformed purchase, which is among the dumbest things that you can do. Regardless of suitability of the gear.

What did you pay?
What will you use it for?
What does you total kit weigh?
What are your needs, and desires?
Do you accept the inherent drawbacks?
Does pack fit you well?
Have you tried it with your carried weight?

All these things, and more, factor into a "wise" purchase.
If you make an informed purchase, you wont seek others feedback on it, or have questions, you will know the answers before you buy.

otoh, a person has to start somewhere. you cannot begin with the answers. that comes from experience. which you cannot gain without jumping into the fray. his gear is a wise purchase for someone just beginning as they represent generally well regarded manufacturers. Perhaps there ARE better options but that is purely a matter of opinion.

the fact of the matter is, there is no "right" answer to the gear questions you or he ask. that is why everyone carries different packs/tents/hammocks/bags/ec.. If there was a right answer, we would all have the same things. I do agree with you on one thing - once you log enough miles you won't ask (nor care) for others opinions regarding the stuff you carry.

Deadeye
03-10-2016, 22:38
I still can't understand why anyone would ask for opinions after the purchase.

MuddyWaters
03-10-2016, 22:43
otoh, a person has to start somewhere. you cannot begin with the answers. that comes from experience. which you cannot gain without jumping into the fray. his gear is a wise purchase for someone just beginning as they represent generally well regarded manufacturers. Perhaps there ARE better options but that is purely a matter of opinion.

New people ask for feedback on gear all the time, or advice, before they buy. At least the ones not wanting to spend money twice do. Many prople get excited and make major purchases on impulse, and regret it and purchase new gear after only 0-300 miles. Especially packs and shoes. Then they dump heavier tents too.

It might be great gear for a person, but buying it uninformed would still be stupid . like marrying a stranger because they are a member of opposite sex

There is difference between a "wise" purchase, and a "good" one.

4shot
03-10-2016, 22:45
I still can't understand why anyone would ask for opinions after the purchase.

again, i think it is fairly simple and obvious....not enough experience to trust one's own opinion on the topic. This is not harsh or unfair, we were all in the same boat at one point. Just for grins and giggles, check out the thru hikers forum. If we all had a dime for every thread over there that starts with "please critique my gear list" we would all be rich.

alnitak
03-11-2016, 12:37
I don't have the experience of everyone in this forum, but the Baltoro 65 is a great pack. I strongly considered it, and the Osprey Aether in 60L and 70L. (I went with the Aether 70L as I got it for less than half-price new off eBay). My input is that backpacks are like many things -- golf clubs (driver vs. sandwedge vs putter), cars (sports car vs. pick-up hauler vs. family minivan), guitars (travel vs. acoustic, vs. electric axe), etc. No one pack will do everything and you will find yourself with multiple packs over time -- a day pack, an ultralight, a backcountry hauler, etc. I chose the Aether, knowing it will be a few years until I retire, at which time I will get an UL pack (with the then newest material). Until then, I will use the Aether for weekend trips with the family, week-long fishing/camping trips, and section hikes. The Baltoro will last a lifetime and will serve many purposes...good choice!

alnitak
03-11-2016, 12:42
Since I can't seem to edit my post, I will just add that for me, a thru-hike will only be feasible when I retire, so no need for me to go all UL in a big way until I have the time to do LR hiking. Until then, a more jack-of-all-trades pack is better.

Deadeye
03-11-2016, 13:20
again, i think it is fairly simple and obvious....not enough experience to trust one's own opinion on the topic. This is not harsh or unfair, we were all in the same boat at one point. Just for grins and giggles, check out the thru hikers forum. If we all had a dime for every thread over there that starts with "please critique my gear list" we would all be rich.

Oops - I hit send. Usually I rant, then delete. I'm trying to keep my posts helpful, and follow Mom's edict: if you don't have anything nice/helpful to say, shut the @#$% up. I don't think that's exactly how she said it, but it was clear what she meant!

MyFeetHurt
03-11-2016, 13:35
I don't understand the criticisms of the OP? You can easily do your own research on gear, come to a conclusion that you think works for you, and then reach out to a larger community to hopefully validate your decision. That kind of thing goes on all the time, so what's the big deal? And if you buy gear at any number of places with solid return policies, in addition to coming to your own conclusions after using the gear in the field maybe someone with more experience with the particular gear you've mentioned brings up something you hadn't considered, so you just return it. Seems like a reasonable thing to do to reach out to a large group of strangers to see if anyone's used the particular gear you're using/trying out.

As to the particulars, the Baltoro is great. In fact, Gregory Packs as a whole are great, and they stand behind their gear. I'm still using an old Z55 from way back and it's almost as good as new. Had one issue with a zipper on the lid that Gregory fixed for free. You won't be upset with the Baltoro.

As for the Tungsten, I recently returned one. Felt too small for me, even knowing it's a one-man. Went back to my tried and true Hubba. I did like the fact that you can adjust the fly vent without getting out of the Tungsten and the light-diffusing pocket was clever and worked well. It's made with solid material so while being on the 'heavy' side for a one-man it will last a long time. Liked they included a footprint too.

Good luck.

dudeijuststarted
03-11-2016, 14:04
Baltoros ride like a cadillac. Just be careful not to pack it to the gills and keep your total weight down in the 35lbs or less area.

Offshore
03-11-2016, 14:52

The only unwise thing was asking question like that on this site, which leans towards UL at any cost and pontification. Remember that you are the one carrying the pack and sleeping in the tent - if they work for you, then enjoy them.

ScareBear
03-11-2016, 15:27
If the pack fits and doesn't chafe, its good to go. Gregory makes good packs, we've got two, but they don't fit everyone. Personally, I'm still using my fairly old REI Flash 62 because it is light, fits perfectly and has everything in the right place. Some Gregory packs are a strapping up nightmare, though!

The tent is heavy for what it is, but easy to pitch and stable. You will probably "outgrow" the tent after the first season...

I understand that you are suffering from cognitive dissonance(aka buyer's remorse), but you bought quality gear so give it a try! You may want to do a lot more research for future big$ purchases, though...

LittleRock
03-11-2016, 16:19
Been hiking with a Baltoro 65L for the past 5 years - still in great shape and I still love it! May be heavier than some other packs, but it's the most comfortable pack I've ever worn.

Secondmouse
03-12-2016, 12:10
Baltoros ride like a cadillac. Just be careful not to pack it to the gills and keep your total weight down in the 35lbs or less area.

are you saying this as general advice, or because of the particular pack?

as general advice, I get it - just because someone has the capability to carry obscene weights doesn't mean they should.

if you're talking the pack, you must not have any personal experience because if there was one pack I would choose to carry heavy weight, it would be the Baltoro...

the Baltoro is comfortable with loads in the 50-60lb range, at least the pre-2015 version is. I don't have any experience with the latest model...

egilbe
03-12-2016, 17:34
are you saying this as general advice, or because of the particular pack?

as general advice, I get it - just because someone has the capability to carry obscene weights doesn't mean they should.

if you're talking the pack, you must not have any personal experience because if there was one pack I would choose to carry heavy weight, it would be the Baltoro...

the Baltoro is comfortable with loads in the 50-60lb range, at least the pre-2015 version is. I don't have any experience with the latest model...

I think he means that the Baltoro rides smoothly. Keeping the weight down is just common sense. Nothing to do with the way the pack carries, just the way the weight can affect knees and ankles