PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam parking?

daveiniowa
03-09-2016, 21:20
I am guessing there is good overnight parking around fontana dam Little Tennessee River area trail head. I have never been there before but would like to stage a vehicle there. My plan is to just drive there and find good safe parking and get picked up from a shuttle to continue my hike from Albert Mtn. Does anyone see why this would not work?

TNhiker
03-09-2016, 21:26
ive parked a fontana many, many a time...............

and its always been safe............

the main places (as there's others along the road going in) to park are the marina area.........at the visitors center parking lot.....

ive found all of them to be safe-----not saying that it cant happen----but ive never heard of any problems in that area...

also, fwiw, theres a shower at the visitors center (or swim in the lake) if you so desire.......

ernie84
03-09-2016, 22:06
I left my car parked at the Cable Cove boat ramp during a 4-night kayak trip with no problems. I also second TNhiker's suggestions. There is plenty of parking at the marina and the visitors center. May want to call ahead just to be safe. The Fontana Village Resort is also hiker friendly and they might allow you to leave your car there if you ask.

Malto
03-09-2016, 22:35
I have also left my car for several days at Fontana. No issues.

sswells4
03-10-2016, 05:45
Just left my car at Visitor's Center for a couple of nights. No issues at all. In fact, the word around there is since it's "government" land, no one wants to mess with the Feds. Whether true or not, I don't know. But I've never had an issue.

daddytwosticks
03-10-2016, 08:12
Left my vehicle at the visitors' center with no problems as stated above. If in season, it's a good place to end a hike. Hot shower and ice cream from the store to celebrate! :)

blue indian
03-10-2016, 08:37
Ive left my car at the dam visitor center for a week with no problems.

Although when I did arrive at my car, they were repaving and repainting the parking lot and had my car trapped in. But they were cool about it and let me wiggle my way out of the space

daveiniowa
03-10-2016, 12:09
Well that was easy! Sounds like a plan... Thanks for all the great info here once again. Happy hiking!!