PDA

View Full Version : Northbound or southbound guidebook?

howlinmadman
03-10-2016, 08:56
I am section hiking parts of the AT starting with PA. When I do a section sometimes it will be northbound sometimes southbound. I see they have guidebooks for both directions. Should I get both or can I figure mileages and everything else out from just the northbound one?
Thanks!

soumodeler
03-10-2016, 09:05
AWOL's Guide is usable both directions for NB (and im sure it is SB but I don't have one to confirm). It is just easier for the direction it is printed.

colorado_rob
03-10-2016, 09:20
AWOL's Guide is usable both directions for NB (and im sure it is SB but I don't have one to confirm). It is just easier for the direction it is printed.Yep, no worries. Mileages are printed in two columns, one for each direction. If you have the NOBO book and are going NOBO for a section, you read down and get mileages from one column. If going SOBO using a NOBO book, you read up as you hike along and use mileages from the other column. I did one section SOBO using a NOBO guide and it was easy-peasy.

bigcranky
03-10-2016, 13:10
Both major thru-hiker's guides can be used in either direction, it's pretty simple to figure out mileage either way.

If I were thru-hiking sobo, then the sobo version of the AT Guide would start to look pretty good. :)

howlinmadman
03-10-2016, 15:50
Thanks everyone, that's what I was looking for!