PDA

View Full Version : Big Four Gear List

Frosty
12-21-2005, 21:47
I'm getting my gear ready and would like to run it by everyone. I have a good idea of what I want, but may be overlooking something.

So far I have my Big Four (pack/tent/bag/pad) pretty much set.
(weights in ounces)

Mariposa Pack 17.000
Trash compactor bag 2.125
belly bag 2.25

Silnylon tarptent, stakes, stuff sac 24.250
2 MIL plastic ground sheet 5.000

30* WM Megamite sleeping bag 24.000
Sea to Summit Thermolite bag liner 8.250

Big Agnes 20x78x2.5
insulated air core pad 26.000

Total weight of big four is 7 lbs, 5 ounces

NOTES:

The belly bag is a small silnylong bag used to keep snacks/maps/stuff handy without taking pack off

The pad is heavy, but I have arthritis and need a thick pad. This is the lightest I could find. NOT self-inflated, alas. Supposedly it has insulation built in, but I am considering carrying a Walmart blue pad (~11-12 ounces) for added insulation until I clear the Smokies for extra ground insulation. Though I like the companionship of shelters, I don't intend to spend many nights in them, but rather tent neaby.

The bag liner will get the 30* bag down to 15-20*, fine for most nights for a march 11 start if I sleep in long underwear. However, I wish not to spend more than a night or two shivering, and am considering an Adventure Medical Kits thermolite bivy. It is 7 ounces. For those with March experience down south, is this a good idea or over-kill? Up north winter hiking I carry chemical warmers, 2.5 ounces for about 6-8 hours warm spot on cold night (feet or belly, for example). Are these a good idea down south in March? I am thinking about bringing a couple and if I don't need them, leaving them in a hiker box at Neels gap or Hiawassee.

All comments appreciated. Thanks.

Skidsteer
12-21-2005, 22:06
I've tried the warmers and don't seem to get a benefit from them when used in a bag at night. No noticeable added warmth for me. Just my opinion though.

hustler
12-22-2005, 00:29
Frosty, it looks like you've done your homework. You won't really know how the setup works until you try it out. Looks like a good list to me.

kncats
12-22-2005, 09:53
My wife and I have the Sea-To-Summit thermolite liners and they are great, but I'd rate them at closer to 5-10 degrees additional warmth vice the 15 they advertise.

I've never heard anything good about the insulated Big Agnes Air Core mattresses, other than they're comfortable 'til they start leaking. The insulation doesn't appear to be bonded very well to the inside of the mattress. It comes loose and flops around inside and doesn't provide any insulation. The material for the mattress itself is only 30 denier coated nylon. That's less than half the fabric weight of the uninsulated Air Core which is 70 denier (the same as ThermaRest mattresses).

My wife and I use the uninsulated Big Agnes with a thin layer of ensolite foam on top in winter. That's worked well for us down to the low 20's so far. We've tried the blue, closed cell foam pads also and they work, but they are very bulky to carry. Also, if you move around much in your sleep they're tricky to keep on top of the mattress.

Jaybird
12-22-2005, 10:54
I'm getting my gear ready and would like to run it by everyone. I have a good idea of what I want, but may be overlooking something.So far I have my Big Four (pack/tent/bag/pad) pretty much set.
(weights in ounces)Total weight of big four is 7 lbs, 5 ounces
NOTES:The bag liner will get the 30* bag down to 15-20*, fine for most nights for a march 11 start if I sleep in long underwear. However, I wish not to spend more than a night or two shivering, and am considering an Adventure Medical Kits thermolite bivy. It is 7 ounces. ..........etc,etc,etc,...........All comments appreciated. Thanks.

Instead of using a LINER (extra crap to carry & keep up with..) just get a
20 degree bag! :D

otherwise....GOOD LUCK on yer hike!

Howdy to HUSTLER!

Frosty
12-22-2005, 15:23
[I][B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"] Instead of using a LINER (extra crap to carry & keep up with..) just get a
20 degree bag! :D Much more flexible to have bag and liner. This way I have the option of liner only, bag only, or bag and liner. It's the same as having a windbreaker and a poly shirt is better than having one think parka.

I have a 20* bag, but it is synthetic and too heavy. Fine for weekends, but I don't want to haul it for months at a time. Liner and 30* bag is half teh weight of the 20* bag.

Also I have a 0* bag and a -25* and a 45*, and I'm afraid to tell my wife I *need* another one.

Frosty
12-22-2005, 15:29
My wife and I have the Sea-To-Summit thermolite liners and they are great, but I'd rate them at closer to 5-10 degrees additional warmth vice the 15 they advertise. I kind of guess that. Maybe I'll bring the emergency bivy for the odd night or two where even shivering isn't enough :) It's only 7 ounces. Give me a total bag weight two and a half pounds (bag + liner + bivy) and will provide many options. I do much better when I sleep better.

I've never heard anything good about the insulated Big Agnes Air Core mattresses, other than they're comfortable 'til they start leaking. The insulation doesn't appear to be bonded very well to the inside of the mattress. It comes loose and flops around inside and doesn't provide any insulation. Thanks for the info. I was going to leave the repair kit home, but now I'll bring it along. I'm not sure how much the insulation helps, anyway. I bought it because it *might* help and it only added an ounce to the pad's weight.

kncats
12-22-2005, 16:08
I was going to leave the repair kit home, but now I'll bring it along. I'm not sure how much the insulation helps, anyway. I bought it because it *might* help and it only added an ounce to the pad's weight.

Just my two cents worth, but personally I'd take the non-insulated Air Core and a thin closed cell pad. It's two ounces lighter than the insulated one and the thickness of the material makes me feel a lot more secure. There was a thread on here not too long ago about the Big Agnes pads and all the leaks were reported to be on the seams where you couldn't patch them.

Smooth
12-22-2005, 20:14
Weight first. I started out with 20* polyfill bag (catmeow), my trusty space blanket and a ripple foam pad. Froze on a couple of nights, hat, jacket, space blanket and all. Moisture is the problem. No time to wait for the bag to dry so poly was king! Around Hot Springs I could not bear the weight, bought 40* bag. Carried that to New Hampshire where I had the 20* bag sent back. The most important thing is to take a willingness to change out gear in route if it is failing for you. I sleep hot and sweat lightly. If you tent and do not sweat down is for you. Now that I have lived in the woods for 6+ months I carry poly bag, bivy sac (to protect bag from direct water and dirt), foam pad and space blanket. I have a sac that fits close to the bag (less condensation) and sleep on the pad on the ground. If raining I set up the space blanket to help. I do get slightly damp in the rain from a lack of gortex to pass moisture in 100% humindity.
Good luck, take love with you.

LongIslandBob
12-31-2005, 10:41
Warmth will depend on how cold it gets (duh!). Are you leaving early in March or late? I thruhiked NOBO in 2005, starting late in March with a 20 degree down GoLite bag and an Insulmat Max pad in a Hennessy hammock. The pad was GREAT for comfort/warmth in the hammock and in shelters, and held up well with no leaks (and I think lighter also then Big Agnes pad, no?). In hindsight, I think the 30 degree Bergans performance fill bag I switched to (with a liner) would have worked for me from the start, without the moisture problem I had with the down. Again, a lot depends on how early you start and how cold a Spring it is. If you bring an emergency blanket with you, that will always help you if it's REALLY cold one night. In the end, no way to know until you are there. You can always upgrade equipment at Neal's Gap. Good luck! Bob

TRIPNATURE
01-13-2006, 21:00
Nice, i beleiv eyou have an excellent choice of stuff my friend

mweinstone
01-13-2006, 23:40
i use a black diamond winter bivy over my marmot -20 col eq bag under my black diamond megamid light with carbon fiber pole.bivy;8.8oz,bag;4lb9oz,tent;2lb11oz. total equals more room,more warmth,more versitility,saftey,durability in all weather,adaptability and allways the ability to shed layers just like clothing.i hike with a from skin out weight of 5o lbs loaded for ten days.ihike fast,eat more,sleep great,need trail breaks less and can feel at ease in any conditions.i have 32 oz's of alcohol and almost no personal items or luxuries.just more food and shelter than most.in the worst weather if i put on all my clothes the only clothes left in my pack are two changes of sox and one extra capaline silkweight tee.and my msr pump weighs 19 oz,but still i can and do stroll into town each week with one days food and fuel ,...wearing only shorts and a tee carrying 27 lbs.i think this system works for me cause its what im used to.

Grey Fox
01-28-2006, 21:23
try getting the silk liner from campmor, it adds a good deal of warmth and is really light. I would recommend getting a warmer bag too, I've seen tempatures in the negatives in april in the Smokeys