PDA

View Full Version : Flying in and starting hike the same day?

garminator
03-10-2016, 15:59
Good afternoon folks, has anyone experienced or heard of anyone getting altitude sickness due to flying into Atlanta and then staring their hike to Springer the first day? I've heard a few different things from slowing down the hike for the first few days to hydrating more than usual. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Ktaadn
03-10-2016, 16:09
I don't think it is possible to get altitude sickness at any point on the AT. It just isn't high enough.

Slo-go'en
03-10-2016, 16:35
Going from sea level to 3733 feet will not give you altitude sickness. Taking it easy for the first week or so is for different reasons, like just getting used to hiking. Trying to go too far, too fast, too soon typically results in injury, which will then slow you down or send you home.

daddytwosticks
03-10-2016, 17:06
Altitude sickness on the AT? Never heard of such a thing. :)

Dogwood
03-10-2016, 17:19
You might be more concerned not being hit by a car when crossing a road and not contributing to questionable hiker behavior. :)

Uncle Joe
03-10-2016, 17:33
If you mean altitude sickness from the plane I'm not sure that's possible. The plane is pressurized and you're getting ample O2. I'm not sure what elevation a plane is acclimated to but I'm never heard of AS from flying.

4eyedbuzzard
03-10-2016, 19:46
Good afternoon folks, has anyone experienced or heard of anyone getting altitude sickness due to flying into Atlanta and then staring their hike to Springer the first day? I've heard a few different things from slowing down the hike for the first few days to hydrating more than usual. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

If you mean altitude sickness from the plane I'm not sure that's possible. The plane is pressurized and you're getting ample O2. I'm not sure what elevation a plane is acclimated to but I'm never heard of AS from flying.Commercial airline cabins are pressured to an equivalent of between 6000 and 8000 feet in elevation depending upon aircraft type. It basically is no different from a physiological standpoint than driving up and down Clingmans Dome or Mt Washington. Unless someone has pretty severe cardio-respiratory problems they should have no adverse effects.

Hangfire
03-10-2016, 20:19
Your trail name is officially "Altitude"...

Fussymary
03-10-2016, 21:10
One time I flew to the trail and hiked the same day. Got several blisters in places where I never had them before. Realized that my feet were slightly swollen from the flight - thus the blisters. So I wait until the next morning now.

CoconutTree
03-10-2016, 21:43
Are you confusing meters and feet? Never heard of altitude sickness at 3700 feet, but at 3700 meters it would be a concern.

garminator
03-10-2016, 21:46
Sounds good thanks guys. ..lmao "Altitude "- he who likes to get high!

QiWiz
03-11-2016, 11:13

AT not high enough to produce altitude sickness, so no worries there. I flew from Cleveland to Atlanta and was on trail in Amicalola at noon and on top of Springer well before dark on the same day I left home. No problem.

Starchild
03-11-2016, 13:09
Some effects possible in the Smokies and placed at the 5000-6000+ ft level on the AT are not totally unheard of, and it is rare. I did assist a person get off the AT ridge there, weakness, nausea, very out of it. As he descended he got better very fast.

Besides the altitude, he was given fluids & salt, and it was a hot day. So a combo of things workign together.

But for Springer, you are much lower and also camping far below the Ridgeline most nights (not the case in the Smokies)

BrianLe
03-11-2016, 13:51
I might have some concern if flying from a significantly different time zone. I live on the west coast, and when I started hiking on the Florida Trail in January I took a red eye flight, got off the plane and was on trail a couple hours after that --- felt a bit of a zombie as I hadn't slept much on the plane. This was perhaps not so much the time zone thing as the not sleeping much period thing, but if flying from Europe or Australia ...

But yeah, altitude, air pressure worries --- zero.

garminator
03-22-2016, 16:36
Cool, thanks guys!

saltysack
03-22-2016, 19:35
Seriously doubt you'll have an issue other than being worn out from travel. Personally I'd start the next morning or if you must do a short distance as travel is rough on your body especially your immune system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk