PDA

View Full Version : Gear Expenses: What I spent.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
03-11-2016, 03:35
Hey guys

I figured I would post on here the total money I have spent pre-hike for my Flop this may. (I call it a flop because I am only doing half the trail. :-P

For this adventure, I tried to make gear vs buy to save money. Some things were a flop, and others were awesome. I also bought expensive Items when I needed too, but saved money elsewhere.

My experience gear buying has been tough. I wasted money on a sleeping bag that ended up not working out as well and couldn't return. My hammock system changed dramatically and expensively past my original idea. I had problems finding correct shoes. I even bought a bunch of different socks only to go with a different pair entirely.

Less than two months until leaving date, and I think I am almost completely finished with my gear. There are only a few odd and ends missing: Smart Water bottles, coffee cup, camera. I hope this helps other people who are gear researching, and wondering how much a hike costs. This has been my pre-hike stage, and I am sure I will post another thread about how much I spend on trail for my long-section.

Lets start with who I am
Cara! Hi everyone...haha that's not what I am getting at.
Sleep Style: Hammock
Section: Damascus- at least Pawlings, NY possibly all the way if I have enough money.

Link To Gear:

Six Moon 65L: $110
1.6 Hex Hammock; Sling, Straps,Continuous Loop: $119.54
Yes, I over spent. I bought my suspension originally for another hammock. I than decided on the hex
TadPole Tarp Continues;ridge line: $144.79
Kelty Light 20 down bag:$40 (craigslist fine)
Jarbridge UQ: $100

Total: $514.33

Clothing:
Uniqlo Puff Jacket: Free (because my freind bought it for me. It's $80 retail)
Old Navy Capris: Free (gift Card, $15 Retail.
Old Navy Running Shirt: Free (gift card, $9 Retail)
Old Navy Lace Shirt: Free (Gift Card, $16 Retail)
Smart Wool PH Maine Hike Socks: $15
Walmart Polyester Secondary Hike Socks: $2
Wool Socks, Mens Merino Walmart Socks: $6
Sleep Shorts, Walmart Runner shorts: $7
Bug Net Head Ware, Walmart: $2
Thermal Base Layer Shirt, Walmart Discount Hunt Section: $7.00
Thermal Base Layer Pants, Walmart Discount Winter Sports: $3.00
Bandanna: $1.00
Camp Shoes: $0.45 (Thrift Store Flip Flops)
Trail Runners, Soucony Trail: $55 (DSW. Only place I could find Wides)

Total: $98.45 ( Would of been $218.45 If I hadn't of had gift Cards/friends that care)

First Aid Kit Buys:
Stuff not listed, already owned.
Hand Sanitizer: $3.00
Gold Bond: $2.50
Body Glide: $7.00

Total: $12.50

Gear Randoms:
Lighter: $1.00
Compas whistle doodad: $3.00
Head Lamp, Energizer Headlamp: $9.00 on Ebay.
Bear Rope, 50Ft Utility Cord: $7.00
Watch, Random discount waterproof watch, no specific brand at wally world: $7.00

Total: $27
Storage:
1 Waterproof Dry Sack, Chinese Ebay Brand for cloths: $4.00
1 Waterproof Dry Sack, Chinese Ebay Brand for Food: $4.00
(I like them so far, not sure on long term)<br>Other Stuff sacks came with gear/re-purpose elsewhere.)

Total: $8.00

Cook System:
GSI Pot: <strong>(Free From Freind, Retail- $29.00)
Super Cat Lantern Wick Mod: $10
Wind Screen from Two Cans: Free
Cozy made from windscreen: $5.00

Total: $15 (Could of been- $45.00)

Water Treatment:
Sawyer FullSize:$29.00, Amazon.
Platy 1-Liter for Dirty Water: $8.00 Amazon
Total: $38.00

Electronics:
RavPower 10400 Charger: $22.00
Stick Pick for phone: Homemade from Bottle Cap
Headphones: $8.00
Action Camera: $60.00
Bike Mount: $2.00
Obviously, this is the play area. Non of these have any effect on my hike other than luxury items.
Total: Not Effective for Hike
Last But not Least:
Guide Book/ Pass Port: Around $20.00

Grand Total Not Including Electronic Luxuries: $713.28 (Non-Free Gear Price; $883.28)

Ouch! This price wasn't even for expensive gear choices. My car was cheaper than my gear.
Hopefully this will help those wondering how much it costs for gear even with cheap stuff

FooFooCuddlyPoops
03-11-2016, 03:39
Link To Gear: https://lighterpack.com/r/dwci8e

BlueRidgeBackpacking
03-11-2016, 09:33
Impressive budgeting, apparently I need to go check out wal-mart for some solid budget deals!

DuneElliot
03-11-2016, 10:25
I bought some of my gear from Walmart also...predominantly fleece base layers and sleepwear, underwear, Sawyer regular (and Mini), all my quick-dry hiking clothes (Danskin sport wear), on-sale beanie and fleece gloves, dry bags and stuff sacks, headlamp (bought years ago and still going strong), insoles. You can find some useful and great things at Walmart without breaking the bank. I tended to shop at Walmart for things I knew would be replaced consistently because of how they wear.

The most money was spent elsewhere on quality gear (pack, sleeping bag, tent, boots) that will last for years.

Bronk
03-11-2016, 11:27
Impressive budgeting, apparently I need to go check out wal-mart for some solid budget deals!I get a lot of my hiking clothes at Walmart...you can get a fleece shirt for about $5 near the end of winter.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
03-11-2016, 20:59
Indeed! I usually buy a cross of quality for anything I need. If I just need sleep cloths, a cheap discount pjs from the thrift store is fine. If I need a dress for graduation, I hit the mall for a nice outfit.

for my hike, I did the same thing. My main socks are good quality. My secondary pair are the cheap guys that I won't have to rely on entirely.

I also bought things that that I will use beyond the AT.

Roamin
03-12-2016, 09:12
Thank you for listing everything out and the costs. It really is helpful to those of us just starting out or getting back into hiking. It was great to see that I am not the only who goes to Wally World! Have a great hike.

q-tip
03-12-2016, 11:22
I am on the on the other end of the spectrum. . Bought brand new, top of the line, total cost $3,500. Have not bought anything since 2011, so there are lots of ways to go........ Hope attachment works...

jshannon
03-16-2016, 06:09
Thanks for sharing.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
03-16-2016, 13:49
The way that I see things....for the price that I paid, I could of bought 5-6 t-shirts for the price of one of the more expensive brands and have them last a year each.

DuneElliot
03-16-2016, 14:56
The way that I see things....for the price that I paid, I could of bought 5-6 t-shirts for the price of one of the more expensive brands and have them last a year each.

^^^ This. And there's no guarantee that a $50 t-shirt is going to last much longer than a $10 shirt, especially if it gets caught on a nail or thorn bush or rock and rips!

GreenBlaze
03-17-2016, 10:49
I am on the on the other end of the spectrum. . Bought brand new, top of the line, total cost $3,500. Have not bought anything since 2011, so there are lots of ways to go........ Hope attachment works...

I think share the same philosophy. Buy proven gear at the best price available and make it last at least 5 years. I spent about $3500 for all of my gear/clothes as well, and I have full confidence it will hold up in the field and elements. Peace of mind and preparedness is worth the extra $$$ to me.

GreenBlaze
03-17-2016, 10:55

I think shirts is definitely one of the areas where off-brands are comparable quality at a much more affordable price. You're going to carry a few ounces more on average, but the prices are hard to beat. I've had $30 Mountain Hardwear shirts get snags very easily, and while it doesn't ruin the shirt, it makes you question the price vs. quality. Having said that, I've bought name brand shirts (4oz, fast dry) on clearance for about $10-15 which is only a few bucks more than a WalMart brand.

Water Rat
03-17-2016, 11:01
Another way to find bargains is to look for what you want in a previous season's colors. Keep an eye online and steep discounts do happen.

There are some things I am willing to be frugal on (mostly clothing), but there are some things (my gear) that I have to know I can be able to depend on it. The little label depicting the brand is not what holds it together, but stellar customer service can mean the difference between a delay in town (to receive a replacement part) vs a hike that has to end because I went cheap and there is no customer service department to call.

I call it "being frugal here to spend the money there." Seems to have worked so far.

DuneElliot
03-17-2016, 11:49
Clothing (but not socks), FA kit (home-made), stuff sacks/dry-bags and other miscellaneous things (reflectix for cozy, Sawyer filter etc) are the items I skimp on and buy from Walmart or other big-box stores. All other essential gear (tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove) that I need or want to last for many years is bought high-quality at an appropriate price-range for the quality/customer service. The same goes in other areas of my life too.