PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Rain Mitten Tip

plodalong
03-11-2016, 09:49
Thought I would pass along a tip for those of you looking for a cheap option for rain mitten covers. I found those cheap Tyvek 18 inch sleeves used in medical and hazardous materials settings work pretty well. They have elastic gathers at each end so I gather up the open end into my palm and they are long and wide enough for me to even use my trek poles. The open ends allows me to quickly slip my hand out if I need to use my fingers. A few amazon sites offer them dirt cheap - a few bucks a pair or less. Or, you can ask around and see if you know anyone uses them at work...RNs, dental workers, people who work with splash protection, hair dressers etc. (you know what I mean, shop where you work, right?) We carry a fresh pair and they work great.

jshannon
03-16-2016, 06:11
Might have to look for this. I alredy use some medical booties on some trips to cover a camp shoe and use it in sleeping bag for warmer feet on below freezing nights.

Miel
03-16-2016, 09:27
Might have to look for this. I alredy use some medical booties on some trips to cover a camp shoe and use it in sleeping bag for warmer feet on below freezing nights.

I sometimes cover up my gloves while hiking with those disposable latex gloves that clinicians wear. An extra layer against the damp - but as a caveat, it can make your hands clammy after a while, with that non-breathable layer. But helpful when out in snow, cold rain etc. Some are allergic to latex so may be best to try a non-latex alternative.

John M
03-16-2016, 09:58
I sometimes cover up my gloves while hiking with those disposable latex gloves that clinicians wear. An extra layer against the damp - but as a caveat, it can make your hands clammy after a while, with that non-breathable layer. But helpful when out in snow, cold rain etc. Some are allergic to latex so may be best to try a non-latex alternative.

I bought a box of nitrile gloves off of amazon. Went up a couple of sizes and bought the thickest they had. Didn't need 100 pairs but can find uses for them around the house also.