PDA

View Full Version : Should one expect to heft more gear out West?

Uncle Joe
03-11-2016, 18:40
I'm thinking of getting a second pack for Winter and more capacity for things like a bear canister. I fancy that I may want to embark on the CT, JMT, or even the PCT someday. Given that, I'd kinda had my sites on the ULA Circuit as it's their smallest pack that will take a canister. If I like it I might just make that my main pack and sell the Ohm. However, I wondered what are the pack-weights people generally carry on Western trails and should I expect to carry more than the 35lbs limit the Circuit expects?

lonehiker
03-11-2016, 19:16
Circuit will serve you just fine.

MuddyWaters
03-11-2016, 22:15
Entirely depends on where , when, and how dry it might be
More potential for drought, and snow, and bear cannisters.

lonehiker
03-11-2016, 22:31
The Circuit will serve you fine on all the trails you have indicated interest. It might be the most popular pack on the PCT. Don't let anyone muddy the waters about this or that...

Uncle Joe
03-11-2016, 22:51
Good to hear! I think it might be just the right says to be on does-it-all pack!

colorado_rob
03-11-2016, 23:46
No bear canister required on the CT, and I'd say very, very few use them on it. There are two places in CO that require them, Rocky Mtn. National Park and a part of the White River Nat. forest near Aspen. Required on the JMT, of course, which is part of the PCT.

FWIW, I carry a bear canister in my OHM 2.0, no problem, and I plan on using it (the OHM) for a Sierra High route attempt (kinda parallels the JMT), with bear canister. This all being said, nothing wrong with the Circuit, just a bit heavier and a bit more supportive. It would serve you well.

Uncle Joe
03-12-2016, 00:44
Thanks for the responses.

jreader213
03-12-2016, 02:51
My roommate uses an Ohm 2.0 and can fit a bear canister + all his gear for a 9 day hike if that helps you at all.

BrianLe
03-12-2016, 12:45
I really depends on you and what you choose to carry, but you might need a little more in general "out west". The AT can spoil a person in terms of needing to carry relatively little food, typically little water, and depending on season often relatively little in the way of clothing.

But I used a ULA Circuit to thru-hike the CDT (worked great), and the pack I used for the PCT had a pretty similar overall capacity, that was a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. The Mariposa was a bit strained in the Sierras on the PCT with I think 8 days of food, bear canister, somewhat more clothing for hiking in the snow in June --- I think the Circuit would have been a better choice there. I had one or two similar carries on the CDT, and while the overall weight sucked until I ate the food down some, the pack did --- in contrast --- just fine.

I recently bought a new Circuit, I mean just earlier this month. My old one has over 7000 miles on it, and still works; it just has enough accumulated small wear issues that I figured I'd splurge to have a new one to use for longer trips in future. The Mariposa, in contrast, I figure you should be able to do a couple of thousand, maybe three thousand miles with one, but I definitely wouldn't count on one to do two long distance thru-hikes. I.e., the ULA packs are a little heavier but also more durable.

jshannon
03-16-2016, 06:08
Once you have your base weight dialed in, only food, water and maybe the canister might change your weight.