PDA

View Full Version : Late March recommendation?

Peris
03-11-2016, 20:29
We're looking for recommendations for 4-5 nights during the last week of March in the northern Smoky or Blue Ridge mountains. Also considering the Benton Mackaye trail. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
03-11-2016, 20:51
last week of march will be crowded with thru-hike attempters. come to Damascus, get a shuttle north and hike 40 miles back to Damascus

TNhiker
03-11-2016, 21:16
yeah......last week of march (or actually for most of the month), the AT will be crowded in the Smoky Mountains...

combine spring break with AT thrus and one gets a crowd.......

however, the BMT will not even come close to the number of people on the AT......

you may see some people, but not like the dozens and dozens that will be on the AT.......

rafe
03-11-2016, 22:58
BMT will be less crowded than the AT, for sure. But that takes a bit more effort in logistics. I agree with others -- get yourself further north to avoid the thru-hiker wave. The Smokies are crowded in the best of times.

Roan Highlands are nice, too (the section between Hot Springs NC and Erwin, TN.)

rafe
03-11-2016, 23:12
BMT will be less crowded than the AT, for sure. But that takes a bit more effort in logistics. I agree with others -- get yourself further north to avoid the thru-hiker wave. The Smokies are crowded in the best of times.

Roan Highlands are nice, too (the section between Hot Springs NC and Erwin, TN.)

My mistake, D'oh. Roan Highlands are north of Erwin.

Peris
03-14-2016, 22:00
Thanks for your feedback--we are taking your advice. 2 more questions: best place to leave a car in Damascus & shuttle recommendation. Appreciate the advice.

bigcranky
03-14-2016, 22:07
There is a hiker parking area at the new library, we've left a car there for a week, no problem. Lone Wolf (here on WB) or Gypsy Dave (276) 492-0873.

saltysack
03-14-2016, 23:01
Thanks for your feedback--we are taking your advice. 2 more questions: best place to leave a car in Damascus & shuttle recommendation. Appreciate the advice.

If LW can't shuttle...MRO will shuttle and can park across the street at the hostel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodad
03-15-2016, 13:24
We're SOBO from Damascus to Carver's Gap to US19E 3/25 - 3/31. Hope to see you on the trail.