PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Forum

Roamin
03-11-2016, 21:02
Is there a Section Hike Forum? I have searched in all the forums, but have not found anything just for section hikes. The only thing I have found are specific section hikes within the General Forum.

In my humble opinion, I think a Forum devoted to section hikes by state would allow members to post section hike reports which will help others looking for similar hikes. It may help elevate many questions regarding where to go, how to get there, shuttles, parking, etc.

rafe
03-11-2016, 22:28
Check out Blissful's forum on Facebook. (Appalachian Trail Section Hikers.)

RockDoc
03-12-2016, 01:21
I agree that there should be a Section Hiker's forum. There are a lot of us, many highly experienced, and I feel this form of hiking is underrated.

Madpaddy
03-12-2016, 08:56
Is there a Section Hike Forum? I have searched in all the forums, but have not found anything just for section hikes. The only thing I have found are specific section hikes within the General Forum.
In my humble opinion, I think a Forum devoted to section hikes by state would allow members to post section hike reports which will help others looking for similar hikes. It may help elevate many questions regarding where to go, how to get there, shuttles, parking, etc.
Philip Werner has an excellent and very informative site on section hiking (Google section hiker) however it's not connected to Whiteblaze.

Rex Clifton
03-12-2016, 09:33
Philip Werner has an excellent and very informative site on section hiking (Google section hiker) however it's not connected to Whiteblaze.
Werner's a hack! His site is mainly hikes around his home area of New Hampshire. What really ticks me off are his gear reviews. If you comment with a different (negative) opinion, he will not post the comment. For objective gear reviews, check out Trailspace.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
03-12-2016, 10:00
99% of at hikers are section hikers or day hikers.

Learn how to search. Another forum wont create more information, or categorize existing information. what is wanted already exists in th existing forums most likely IF searched for.

That said, the sites search function is atrocious and you must use google.

Roamin
03-12-2016, 10:10
My though was to create a repository of section hikes which could be referenced and updated periodically.

MuddyWaters
03-12-2016, 10:15
My though was to create a repository of section hikes which could be referenced and updated periodically.

Why?

Because we need more people that want want to hike someone elses hike?
People that are afraid to not know what to expect every inch of the way?
Up to date shelter conditions? Trail conditions?

The trail doesnt need any more people like that. The experience is already too watered down by technology and services.

Turtle-2013
03-12-2016, 10:17
There ARE, in my opinion specific issues to section hiking, and I too think that if WB can have thru-hiker forums, it would clearly be appropriate. That said, last year about this time two of us tried to push the issue, made lists of the things that would be on-topic, and even volunteered to moderate the forum (both of us had experience in moderating forums not on WB) ..... we were shot down and put in our place. THEREFORE, the best I can offer is a "good luck to you". Don't get your hopes up, and have a GREAT day. PS. to MuddyWaters comment "99% of at hikers are section hikers or day hikers." ..section hikers and day hikers have very little in common.

sore ankle
03-12-2016, 10:35
Thumbs up on "section hikers and day hikers have very little in common." That said, section hikers are more numerous than thrus, and a section hike forum makes sense. Why would WB want to drive a large portion of its readership to other sites, or force them to "search", in order to find the info they are looking for? Seems like a simple customer service question.

tiptoe
03-12-2016, 11:41
This topic has been thrashed out at least once before on Whiteblaze. I have been a section hiker since 2006, and any topics I've addressed have been satisfactorily answered here, especially those on logistics (getting to and from the trail), which are pretty much specific to section hiking. Gear, clothing and food, hostels and shelters (and so much more) are important for both section hikers and thru-hikers.

Gambit McCrae
03-12-2016, 12:36
IMO there aren't any issues that can not be covered under the GENERAL forum tab. Logistics of section hiking are FAR more detailed the thru hiking.

Thu hiking - you worry about getting to Terminus A and Home from terminus B.

Section Hiking - You repeat every time you go out.

Personally I have successfully completed 800 miles while using Whiteblaze as a resource without needing a section hiker specific tab.

Other then logistics, a thru hiker is going to need to pitch his Tarp the same way a section hiker does, boil his ramen the same and walk do the trail the same.

Rant Begins:
What bugs me is several things from the "section Hiker POV of Whiteblaze"
"I'm going on a section hike between springer and NOC" so I go thru every shelter sub tab and ask "how's the water here??" Then I start 10 threads on very specific subjects that could found by using a little research. I am not fully exempt from this action, but I definitely use some moderation on the subject of flooding the forum list.

Another thing is for me personally as a section hiker, I have found it very easy to overshoot my goal and when I fall short I feel that the trip has been a failure, so these days if at all possible I try not to choose an exact end destination until the day before the last day. Thus, never really feeling like a fell short.

Main thing is to just get out there walk. Never not never had I turned around the bend of the trail, experienced something and gone "gosh darn it!!! if only I had started a thread on this in the section hiker forum of Whiteblaze I would be prepared right now!!"

Whiteblaze helps me pass the time while at the office lol

Puddlefish
03-12-2016, 13:03
I just assumed the entire website was a section hiking forum, and only one forum was dedicated to thru hikers. Granted, people aren't very good about limiting their questions to topics that only involve thru hikes. There's a section on shelters as well, which is super specific.

It seems that people get the best responses when they supply a detailed and specific subject line when creating a new post, and what folder they put it in doesn't matter all that much.

Pedaling Fool
03-12-2016, 13:52
I really don't see a difference between a section and thru hiker; section hikers have my permission to post in the thru-hiker forum:D

MuddyWaters
03-12-2016, 17:04
I just assumed the entire website was a section hiking forum, and only one forum was dedicated to thru hikers..

Bingo

Its all the same except arranging shuttles. If you cant figure that out from awols guide and the ATC shuttle page, I dont know what to say. Still.......many dont check the resources, they ask because the other is too much work.

Christoph
03-13-2016, 10:03
I agree. Most hikers on here I would be willing to bet are section hikers. I tried a thru and felt I was pretty prepared from searching thru WB. I see both sides of the story. Thru hikers need time and it's not really much different in my eyes except maybe going a little lighter. Section hiking you might take a little more, costs are greatly increased, and the logistics (if you're planning on sectioning the entire AT) are beyond my capability. That's about it really. The rest like how's the water, where to get food... come on, it's an adventure is it not?

WingedMonkey
03-13-2016, 12:33
Next thing you know section hikers will have to stop posting on thru-hiking subjects.

:D

Hikes in Rain
03-13-2016, 14:30
I'll likely always be a section hiker. Oddly, I've never felt disenfranchised here by being one.

Tipi Walter
03-13-2016, 14:39
Werner's a hack! His site is mainly hikes around his home area of New Hampshire. What really ticks me off are his gear reviews. If you comment with a different (negative) opinion, he will not post the comment. For objective gear reviews, check out Trailspace.

I'm glad you said it and not me. How many times have I had a thorough and well-linked comment kicked off and censored from his site?? Twice, once for a discussion on the mishap of Kate Matrosova and once for linking up a Trailspace review to his review of a MSR tent. Ticked me off. Said something like he doesn't "outsource" his links or want Trailspace to be in his reviews. Very odd. Stops an intricate conversation---I call it censorship pure and simple.

Result? No more comments from me.

Doctari
03-13-2016, 14:51
IMHO, a section hike forum is a good idea. Sectionists have different needs than Thrus.
Every time we hit the trail it's without having our trail legs.
Our time is more limited by definition.
Add the cost of getting to & from the trail EVERY time / section.
I'm planning a section in April / May, have been reviewing videos of past Thrus, their "short distances between supply" Is much further than I can do with minimal time on trail. Yea, I got miles this year, but only have time for weekend trips on alternating weekends, & none of the hills like on the AT, what takes a Thru 4 or 5 days to do, I take 6 to 8 days, IF I'm hiking very well!!! IF!
IF we are lucky, just as we are getting off the trail, our "trail legs" have barely started to kick in. Then we get to drive home.
SO, yes I see a need for section hikers forums.

mtntopper
03-13-2016, 15:03
I really don't see a difference between a section and thru hiker; section hikers have my permission to post in the thru-hiker forum:D

Section hikers don't need your permission to post in the thru-hiker forum.:D I agree with some others that a section hiker forum would be helpful.

rafe
03-13-2016, 15:24
Next thing you know section hikers will have to stop posting on thru-hiking subjects.

:D

Interesting point. As if men never comment in the womens' forums.

IMO, there's a whole lot of overlap between section and thru hiking. Most of the info section hikers need is in the standard thru hiking guides. That, and the applicable DeLorme Gazeteer answer 99% of the questions we might have.

Shuttle services and trailhead/parking configurations are probably of much greater interest to section hikers than thrus. I've had a few shuttle connections nearly missed because I was waiting a couple hundred yards from where my shuttle guy was waiting for me.

George
03-13-2016, 18:36

so another wingfoot

rafe
03-13-2016, 19:36
so another wingfoot

As if there were never posts or entire threads made to disappear here on good ole Whiteblaze.

Roamin
03-14-2016, 07:25
I understand hiking is hiking and there are similar concerns with section hiking and thru hiking. I just thought a forum listing different section hike opportunities by state would be useful to those of us looking to hike different areas. For example, I am planning a section hike from RT60 to Rockfish Gap, so having a forum where I can post this hike with a little bit of commentary may help someone else decide if this hike fits within their capabilities and time constraints. I can post if my parking options were safe. Then the next time I have an opportunity to hike, I can use the forum to find a section hiking that I may want to complete. This was never meant to detract from the conversations which already take place, but merely to provide information on different hiking opportunities.

rocketsocks
03-14-2016, 08:55
Reminds me of a time in our history when we had signs at certain seeps that said "thru's only"

rocketsocks
03-14-2016, 09:01
Reminds me of a time in our history when we had signs at certain seeps that said "thru's only"that said, it is rather annoying to see a person ask a question only to have it awnsered as if everyone on the site is walking to Maine, some of us just walk and could careless about how far, how long, how light.

LittleRock
03-14-2016, 09:33
Eh, depends on how the section hikers forum would be used.

If it's just another forum for section hikers to talk about gear, miles per day, or any of the other threads that get up being repeated incessantly on WB, forget it.

If it's a place where section hikers can post trip reports, updates on trail conditions, or discuss section hike logistics, then I can see it being useful.

Roamin
03-14-2016, 10:56
I see it as a place for trip reports. I agree all other discussions are already handled elsewhere.

MuddyWaters
03-14-2016, 12:41
I see it as a place for trip reports. I agree all other discussions are already handled elsewhere.

There is already a trip report forum

Tuckahoe
03-14-2016, 12:55
I'll point out to the OP that there is actually a forum for WB member trip reports -- http://whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/400-Members-Trip-Reports

On the other hand, it is down right laughable that anyone with any authority on WB would deny a section hiker specific forum, while at the same time providing women, ultra-light, speed hiker, three thru-hiker, hammock and hiking w/dog specific forums.

Three forums specific to food -- "food and cooking," "cooking," & "food." Really??

There are forums specifically for lighting, trekking poles, hydrations systems and water treatment. In all there are 75+ forums and many of those have sub-forums.

I do not believe there needs to be a section hiker specific forum it is kinda silly and honestly there are way too many silly forums, but it is ridiculous that there'd be a forum specific to the Kennebec Ferry, two forums for meet up/get togethers, or a geography forums, and yet one could some how justify the denial of a section hiker forums.

Roamin
03-14-2016, 13:06
I'll point out to the OP that there is actually a forum for WB member trip reports -- .

I just ran across the forum a little while ago. As I looked through it, I was disappointed by it. I was looking for something separated by state. For example, I am planning an upcoming trip, I put in a search for shuttles in the Rockfish Gap area....52 pages of results! If the forum was set up by state it would be much faster to find trip specific information. Instead I created a new thread asking for the information. I think it is just inefficient.

I know there are several members opposed to the idea, but there seems to be plenty in favor. Why not create the forum? If it gets used, great. If not, delete it.

ocourse
03-14-2016, 18:29
Section hikes require different logistics and input than thru-hikes. Sections are often more expensive and sometimes rely on shuttles that aren't advertised. The equipment can be very different, and the water filtering vs water carry is different. I have completed my workday and headed to the trailhead many times to either hike in the dark or sleep in my vehicle. The questions and challenges that section-hikers have are very different, also. There are some elitist comments in this thread that don't reflect reality. How about creating this particular forum, and those who are above it, or aren't interested (meaning; read but don't participate) can just ignore.

Odd Man Out
03-14-2016, 22:51
I'm planning two section hikes this summer.

In June I will hiking the 40 miles from Compton Gap in SNP south to Big Meadows Lodge. My wife will drop me off at the trail head and then drive to to the lodge to hang hang out with he sister and daughter while I hike to meet her three days later.

In August I will be hiking the 526 feet down Main Street in Hanover NH (visiting a friend in grad school at Dartmouth).

Any advice is appreciated.

MuddyWaters
03-15-2016, 02:14
I just ran across the forum a little while ago. As I looked through it, I was disappointed by it. I was looking for something separated by state. For example, I am planning an upcoming trip, I put in a search for shuttles in the Rockfish Gap area....52 pages of results! If the forum was set up by state it would be much faster to find trip specific information. Instead I created a new thread asking for the information. I think it is just inefficient.

I know there are several members opposed to the idea, but there seems to be plenty in favor. Why not create the forum? If it gets used, great. If not, delete it.

25 topics in 10 yrs in existing trip report forum, and it needs further breakdown by state? Theres too many forums already, they go unused.

Furlough
03-15-2016, 06:12
AWCWO,
Regardless of the naysayers - good idea for a section hike forum.

Furlough

LittleRock
03-15-2016, 08:41
25 topics in 10 yrs in existing trip report forum, and it needs further breakdown by state? Theres too many forums already, they go unused.

Yeah, I thought about posting a trip report once - then I saw how little attention the "Members Trip Reports" forum received and decided against it. I guess I could've been a tool and posted it in the "General" forum, but it would most likely be ignored there, too.

stir crazy
03-15-2016, 09:41
IMHO, I believe most section hikers are not necessarily zeroed in on the AT. I think that is one of the great things about section hiking. I live in N. Georgia and while I enjoy the southern end of the AT, there are so many other trails that I may even like more, such as the Cohutta Wilderness, Foothills Trail, Chattooga River Trail, the trails around SI, Bartram Trail, and many more. Most of these trails are within a couple hours. I like the flexibility to pick trails depending on time of year and amount of time available. Because of that, I spend more time in the "Other Trails" section of WB and have received invaluable information on "secondary" trails.

colorado_rob
03-15-2016, 10:00
It is surprising to me that there is not such a separate forum, and I think it's a fantastic idea. Section hiking is really quite different than full thrus, and certainly "dayhiking" or even short section hiking.

I've been backpacking for 45 years, and modestly consider myself to be very experienced. I think I do get (understand) the desire to thru-hike a trail such as the AT, but never once considered doing so myself. Hiking continuously on one trail in one part of the country ain't my bag, baby. I was absolutely BORED OUT OF MY GOURD about 5 weeks in to the first 6 weeks and 700 miles of the AT (I was trying to get to Harpers that first effort). But I do love getting out for multi-week trips, to me that's plenty long enough to get well into that zen-state of total relaxation.

Things like logistics are unique to section hiking. Like food drops. I can totally see why thru hikers eschew food drops, it really is hard to gather that much stuff and prepare it to be mailed. But food drops are a great idea for multi-week section hikers (IMHO), much easier to gather and organize 3-4 or more weeks of food and then not have to worry about any food shopping along the trail.

And the whole concept of cherry-picking the best sections of various trails. I do have many fond memories of parts of the AT (I did complete the whole thing) and now I want to return with my wife (she retires next year) and do exactly this; cherry pick both sections and time of year for sections.

Having a dedicated forum spot to discuss such things sounds great to me!

I don't see why anyone would have any objection whatsoever to such a separate forum. No, it's not really necessary, but nor are any separate forums (fora?) really necessary.

Good thread, thanks OP.

Pedaling Fool
03-16-2016, 10:01
I wonder if that is because too many people automatically go to the general forum and start a thread vs. looking for the appropriate forum.

Here are just a few examples of threads in the General forum http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/1703-Mohawk-Trail-in-Conn

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/117572-Parking-at-NOC

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/8815-Pine-Knob-Shelter-Maryland

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108091-water-sources-near-West-Mtn-Shelter-in-NY

Roamin
03-16-2016, 13:14
Deleted, I hit the wrong button on accident.

tiptoe
03-16-2016, 13:21
The current format hierarchy ain't broke, that's why. No point in asking the mods to do a whole lot of work to set up a proposed structure that seems way more chaotic and illogical than what we have now.

Cookerhiker
03-16-2016, 20:09
This topic has been thrashed out at least once before on Whiteblaze. I have been a section hiker since 2006, and any topics I've addressed have been satisfactorily answered here, especially those on logistics (getting to and from the trail), which are pretty much specific to section hiking. Gear, clothing and food, hostels and shelters (and so much more) are important for both section hikers and thru-hikers.

I'm a section hiker and this response pretty much sums up my feelings too.

shelb
03-16-2016, 23:48
I am a section-hiker.

I have always tried to SEARCH FIRST for information I needed on other forums. This has almost always provided me with what I wanted (for newer folks, this is a hint to search first before posting).

Information found includes the following: section hike info on specific locations, packing/food/resupply info, shuttle info (yes, shuttles for sections!).

While I can see why some might propose a "section-hiker" area, I am not sure it would be good for the newer members. If I were a newer member, I would probably focus on that area - due to the idea that I am, and always will be, a section hiker. This same attitude could prevent others from getting the best information available on White Blaze.