PDA

View Full Version : Calluses

Anumber1
12-22-2005, 01:19
Wondering if anybody has any facts about calluses they're willing to share.

What is worse: Thick calluses, or soft skin which can blister?
What is the best way to get rid of calluses?

I seen anything on this website about it and figured I would bring it up. Every body gets calluses.
Thanks a Bunch

ScottP
12-22-2005, 03:42
calluses can get too big/dry than crack. A problem especially with sandals.

soak feet in water than rub with callus reducer, pumice stone, vibrating sander, use razor blade (be careful), or a rough stone

MacGyver2005
12-22-2005, 08:43
What ScottP said is good. However, if you are on the trail (or in any situation where you are doing a lot of walking) be careful not to take too much off and make it too soft. Hiking with Free this year he made that mistake and made himself very vulnerable to two very mean blisters.

Regards,
-MacGyver
Ga-->ME

Spirit Walker
12-22-2005, 10:37
If you get thick calluses, as I do, keep a tube of vaseline on hand to put on the cracks. I find that will heal them in a day or two, especially if you cover the crack with moleskin.

Ender
12-22-2005, 10:37
I've never had a problem with the calluses getting to big. I'm happy when they build up, because that means no blisters, and blisters hurt. So, I say: calluses good... soft, blistery skin bad.

That's just me though

leeki pole
12-22-2005, 10:59
I've never had a problem with the calluses getting to big. I'm happy when they build up, because that means no blisters, and blisters hurt. So, I say: calluses good... soft, blistery skin bad.

That's just me though

Ditto Ender...calluses are a good thing. Take it from a marathoner, and (knock on wood) in 22 years and 28,000 miles of running, I've never had a blister. :sun

Footslogger
12-22-2005, 11:01
Medically speaking, a callous is just the body's reaction to prolonged movement/friction. From a hiker's perspective it's the first indication that your footwear does not comform (fit) well or is improperly laced. The first stage of a callous is typically a hot spot that leads to a blister. Without attention to the blister the repeated damage to the skin in that area will result in a hardening and thickening of the skin.

Guess there's a couple ways of looking at it. If you don't intend to do anything about the fit of your footwear then you might want to just let the callous form, which in most cases will prevent the reoccurance of a blister.

On the other hand ...if you decide to deal with the cause of the callous and modify/change your footwear then you might want to try rubbing a softening cream into the tissue several times a day. Over time the excess skin tissue will slough and return to it's normal thickness.

'Slogger

jlb2012
12-22-2005, 16:26
one item I noticed - when I switched to Superfeet footbeds the large calluses on my heal mostly went away - I am assuming that this is just due to the better fit in the heal cup area - the bottoms of my feet are fairly tough but there are no large areas of callous left after switching. Note the shoes I hike in are the same shoes I use everyday - trailrunners.

middle to middle
01-04-2006, 14:04
It is my impression that the callus build up is good but it can hold heat and blister. Best to stone the callus down a bit and keep hot spots cool and smooth.