PDA

View Full Version : Pricing and Permits

SamBrooks_01
03-12-2016, 12:06
I'm planning a NOBO trip for 2017. Still working out the whole thing with work and trying to have a job when I get back home, but other than that I think most of it's worked out..But that's beside the point-

I know there are certain expenses to be taken care of as I go, but what I'm wondering about is State Parks and permits, etc. Are there places like that where I'll have to pay just to hike it? I know there are places where I'll need a permit to even hike the land- do they cost something or do I just go online/call and get it? And where should I expect to even have to get a permit?

While I'm at It I might as well ask about overall cost. I know everybody is different, but from your own personal experience what should I expect to pay? I know I'll have to resupply food and cooking fuel, possibly a new pair of shoes/boots, the occasional mail drop, along with hostels and anywhere else I might stay that costs anything. Just looking for kind of an average number if yall have any ideas.

Thanks, dudes

rafe
03-12-2016, 12:22
I don't believe there's any cost to the permits... but I could be wrong. Town stops and shuttles will be your biggest expense by far.

There are a couple of campsites in VT and NH (GMC and AMC territory) that ask for donations, usually well under $10. And of course the AMC huts, unless you can wrangle work-for-stay. Church-run hostels often have a donation box. Commercial hostels charge a formal fee but usually quite reasonable, eg. $15 to $30 or in that range.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2016, 12:38
You have to buy one permit, for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. That has to be done on-line and the permit printed out. It costs $20.00

GMC and AMC tent sites and shelters when manned by a caretaker are "pay to stay", they are not donation based. $5.00 for the GMC sites (although you only have to pay for the first one) AMC sites are $8.00 a night. (this applies to Vermont and NH)

Overall you can expect to spend at least $4,000 without batting a eye. Spending 5 to 6 grand is not uncommon and is probably more realistic. There will be those who insist a full thru can still be done for $2,000 or less, (30 years ago the rule of thumb was a dollar a mile) but that's really hard to pull off. People who try to do that usually run out of money before getting very far.

ALLEGHENY
03-12-2016, 12:41
My own personal experience. $25/day

Permits. Smokie's $20/head

left52side
03-14-2016, 09:20
My own personal experience. $25/day

Was this your total food and lodging / showers/etc along the way at 25.00 day ?

Slo-go'en
03-14-2016, 11:01
Was this your total food and lodging / showers/etc along the way at 25.00 day ?

I would assume that is total amount spent divided by number of days on the trail. Lets say an average hike of 5 months or 140 days at $25 a day is $3500 which is on the low side. $4,000 to $4500 is more typical and still on the low budget side of things.

ALLEGHENY
03-14-2016, 13:45
$4470 divided by 176 days = $25.378.

That is what I spent on my six month VACATION hiking the AT GAME. This includes Amtrak to and from. Out the door and back.
Less than what it costs me to go to work, so its a wash.

ALLEGHENY
03-14-2016, 13:53
$25.398/day