PDA

View Full Version : Battery pack

jreader213
03-12-2016, 12:41
Hey all,

I'm currently debating between two different battery packs. This one (http://www.amazon.com/Powerbank-Waterproof-Dustproof-Shockproof-Smartphone/dp/B00HY44VTQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) and This one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9QVE4Q?colid=2PO3NBUY86L6A&coliid=I20J5BIFC9HVUS&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl)

I've actually owned the EasyAcc one, but it recently got replaced by my girlfriend who lost it on a trip of her own. It worked well and held up, but I think the battery capacity may be fairly low. I've heard good stuff about Anker, but I don't know how I feel about taking it out for 300+ miles on the BMT this April. I just don't know how well it'd hold up to the elements, etc. I do like how the Anker seems to have a larger battery size for minimal weight gain though.

Any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share?

Del Q
03-12-2016, 12:57
I just bought an Anker 10,000 one, light, seems solid............a close friend who is REALLY particular on gear said get this one

soumodeler
03-12-2016, 17:39
Anker is one of the best on the market right now. I have used an Anker E3 10,000mAh for a couple of years now and it works great. They have the highest quality batteries and have the lowest loss while charging according to all of the reviews I have read by actual battery experts. You can't go wrong with Anker.

colorado_rob
03-13-2016, 13:32
I just recently bought my second Anker, now I have both a 10,000 mAh at 7.7 ounces, and now a 6700 mAh one at 4.7 ounces. I was impressed with my first one (the 10,000), but realize I never had the need for the 3+ charges it afforded my phone, so for $15 I now have one that is 3 ounces lighter and charges my phone 2+ times, which is plenty for my needs on 90% of my long hiking trips where I don't go over 7-8 days w/o a town stop. For a PCT attempt, I'd probably take the 10,000. For a really big sparse-resupply trip (mountaineering expeditions), I might take both.

Though that EasyAcc one shockproof/waterproof one looks mighty sweet, I don't understand the need for one that is extra robust. I keep mine in a ziplock, hence waterproof, and I don't quite see a scenario where I'd ever drop it, hence no need for shockproof, so I'm satisfied with a less durable product, especially for $15 (my new 6700 mAh).

eblanche
03-14-2016, 19:41
Things to look into are the input and output rates. That is, how quickly the battery pack can charge your devices and how quickly the battery pack can be recharged when plugged into a socket.

From all I have read, can't go wrong with Anker. RAVpower also seems to get really good reviews.

jshannon
03-16-2016, 06:01
I own an Anker, ~6000 mAh and a Monoprice ~3,000 mAh for different situations. Many say the larger capacities take too long to charge, but quick charge features may become common in future.

soumodeler
03-16-2016, 08:28
I own an Anker, ~6000 mAh and a Monoprice ~3,000 mAh for different situations. Many say the larger capacities take too long to charge, but quick charge features may become common in future.

Many Anker models already have QuickCharge 2.0 input and output so you can charge the battery pack in an hour and your phone in 15 minutes. Its not a full charge, but enough to get you 3-4 days down the trail to the next outlet.

Spiffyguy
03-28-2016, 11:44
I have an Anker 15000 MaH I bought for a 10 day trip. Thing is heavy but charges everything I need. Take note of the switch when you buy one. Mine sometimes gets turned on in my pack.

atraildreamer
03-28-2016, 16:06
I have an Anker 15000 MaH I bought for a 10 day trip. Thing is heavy but charges everything I need. Take note of the switch when you buy one. Mine sometimes gets turned on in my pack.

Put a piece of duct tape over the switch.

Spiffyguy
03-29-2016, 14:58
Put a piece of duct tape over the switch.
It is a large push button right on the top of the unit. almost need to make a guard for around it. Battery packs are getting quite cheap these days, might just get a second one. :)

atraildreamer
03-30-2016, 16:50
It is a large push button right on the top of the unit. almost need to make a guard for around it. Battery packs are getting quite cheap these days, might just get a second one. :)

Find an appropriately-sized bottle cap that fits over the button and duct tape it over the switch.

displacedbeatnik
03-30-2016, 17:13
Groupon is an amazing source for dirt cheap power banks. Most of them don't tell you in advance how much they weigh but some quick research on the internet will usually reveal if they're light or not.

Spiffyguy
03-30-2016, 19:27
Find an appropriately-sized bottle cap that fits over the button and duct tape it over the switch.
Good idea. Thanks

mortonjl
04-02-2016, 05:50
Anker, many choices too

shaggymatt
04-06-2016, 08:51
There are many options to chose from, but I'd suggest you chose a reputable brand. I bought a 15,000 mAh Kmashi recently. Prior to my upcoming section hike, I wanted to try it out. So on a work trip, my work and personal phones were both at about half charge. Plugged them both in, and when I got to a 100%, the pack was at 50% charge remaining. The combined full capacity of the batteries would be a bit over 6,000 mAh, half of that should be ~3,000 mAh. Half of 15,000 is 7,500. I should not have been showing 50% remaining on the big pack.

This comes down to garbage cells going into products. While this site does not directly refer to the power packs, it does give you an idea of what goes "into" batteries: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary%20UK.html

Another Kevin
04-06-2016, 10:53
I got a ruggedized pack - rubber seals over all the plugs and a rubber bumper around the whole thing, and the parts that aren't rubber are blaze orange so I won't leave the damn thing in camp. I got mine from New Trent a couple of years ago. It's an ounce or two heavier than the comparable ones without the shock- and waterproofing, but it's survived a couple of bad falls and an unexpected swim.

I'm pretty power hungry in the backcountry, since I'm continually recording GPS tracks and waypoints, getting data for trail maps. I've done five nights between resupplies with the thing (15000 mAh). I got into town with a dead pack and a phone battery at about 30%, but that's as far as I ever expect having to take it for the mapping I do.

It's too heavy, but I'd have destroyed a lighter one long before this.