PDA

View Full Version : Beginning a SOBO Thru-Hike

Goozpah
03-12-2016, 18:29
I am attempting a SOBO thru-hike this year, and I can't seem to find specific information about the beginning anywhere, which seems a bit odd. Anyways, my family wants to drive me up to Maine and see me off, and I was wondering what the name of the trailhead I'd be starting at is. Also, I've seen a lot of people talking about making campground reservations in Baxter State Park ahead of time. If me and my family stay in a motel the night before I start, and they drive me as close to where I need to be the next morning, will I still need to make camping reservations for when I come down from Katahdin? Basically, how does one go about the very beginning of a SOBO thru-hike? and also, where is the last point where I'll have a chance to resupply before entering the 100 mile wilderness?

Slo-go'en
03-12-2016, 19:07
All this info is in the AWOL AT guide book or the ATC Companion. If you don't have one or the other guide book you need to get one ASAP. If you do have one, read it.

If you want to camp in the park, you must make reservations and it would be a good idea to do that as soon as possible as the number of sites are limited and are in high demand. You may have to adjust your departure date to match what is available.

VTATHiker
03-12-2016, 19:27
If you haven't already, get a copy of The AT Guide asap - all of these questions are effectively answered in the first few pages.

Just for reference I'll tell you what I did: four months before my hike I reserved two nights at KSC - the night before and after hiking Katahdin. The sites fill up MONTHS in advance. One should get up and get started with Katahdin early, and you can't technically camp at The Birches as a beginning SOBO, so when you get down off of Katahdin you will need a reservation to stay at the campground. There are other campgrounds around the area (Abol Campground, Daicey Pond Campground, Foster Field Group Area,...) and you can check those out as alternatives, but you'll probably need a ride to those.

Abol Bridge Campstore is just before entering the 100 Miles (15 miles from Katahdin), but my understanding is that they sell snacks, prepared foods, and some camping supplies. I brought everything I needed for that stretch with me to KSC, so I never stopped there.

As for the name of the trail head... just follow the white blazes! (Hunt trail, starts right in KSC)

map man
03-12-2016, 19:27
Here is a very informative thread on starting SOBO started by a Whiteblaze member who knows Baxter State Park like the back of his hand:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/111289-2015-Baxter-State-Park-and-Katahdin-info-for-southbounders

If you click on "Forum" at the top of any Whiteblaze page and then scroll down to "Thru-Hiker Specific Topics" you will see a sub-forum for Southbounders. Click on that and it will lead to a number of threads that can answer a lot of your questions.

Since you plan to stay in lodging with your parents the night before you will not need a campsite reservation for then. If your parents hang around for the day you could spend the night after you hike up and down Katahdin in off park lodgings as well and then start your thru-hike in earnest the next morning, and avoid any campsite reservation at all.

Another option if you can't get a campsite reservation is to get shuttled from Katahdin Stream Campground to the Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket for the night and then get shuttled back the next morning. I believe that during the busy hiker season the owners of the Lodge do routine shuttles twice a day, but you would need to contact them to be certain. Many southbounders, though, enjoy spending at least one night in the park as it gives them a chance to meet some of their fellow southbounders.

In any case, it is not realistic for the vast majority of hikers to try to go up and down Katahdin and then hike the ten more miles to get out of the park in one day. Getting up and down Katahdin in one day is challenge enough for most.

Mouse74
03-12-2016, 19:36
You know I am literally torn about my trip , SOBO or NOBO. I am from Maine but have been living close to the Georgia terminus for ten years. The urge to pack up and walk home is strong. However, I like the idea of not racing a close out date. I think it is literally going to be a coin toss. Trust me my husband would not be phased if one day he got a call from the trail.."Dear...yeah dont pick me up...im going through." The very best of luck, and happy hikes to you!! Let us know how you go!

Heliotrope
03-12-2016, 21:26
Hannaford supermarket in millinocket is the place to get your food for the 100 MW. Unless you bring it with you from home. If your family drives you up they could hike Mt K with you. Then return to motel. The next day start again at KSC heading south. Once you are outside of Baxter state park you will be free of the need for reservations. PM me if you would like - I live in Bar Harbor and head up to Baxter often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefduffy
03-13-2016, 05:33
I work at AT Lodge, pm me if I can help in any way.

Han Sobo
03-13-2016, 12:53
I am also heading south this year hope to do so as early as possible and have not yet set any reservations. I honestly was of mind to blow off that whole process and hike out of the park.. However (Thanks Map Man) I think I am now convinced otherwise. I am also getting my (insert yet to be determined family member) to give me a ride up to Maine and it is doubtful I will arrive first thing in the morning. So a two day camping reservation is looking to be my best interest here.

Thanks Map Man it would have been a grueling first day. I wasn't aware it was 10 miles to get out!

egilbe
03-13-2016, 15:30
Thanks Map Man it would have been a grueling first day. I wasn't aware it was 10 miles to get out!
5 miles up, 5 miles down and 10 miles to get out of the park. The first 10 miles is the hard part, the 2nd 10 miles is fairly flat and very pretty.

Han Sobo
03-13-2016, 18:33
Right I can do many miles on paved roads and well trodden dirt paths but I am not going into this a speed hiker. I want to enjoy things. I do not want to tick off the Baxter rangers as my first step. So I will get a two day camping Reservation set up. Another very big misconception I had was that I could start early and avoid the black flies / gnats. Instead I am hearing that waiting longer is the way to cut down on that.

So I am looking at a July 2'nd hike start date at this time. You guys have been a huge help and I have only been signed up for this White Blaze forum one day. Really appreciate getting feedback and seeing info posted purely on behalf of South bounder traffic and current weather conditions from those of you guys living in the areas I will be crossing.

I have a slot taken on the Trail Registration for the 2nd of July but they seem to be open to me contacting them to re date that. For now I am just making sure I have a foot hold on a time.

Goozpah
04-14-2016, 21:09
I plan on staying at Katahdin Stream Campground if possible, and I was wondering if heading up Katahdin on Abol trail and then down Hunt trail is a good route or not

TJ aka Teej
04-14-2016, 22:15
I plan on staying at Katahdin Stream Campground if possible, and I was wondering if heading up Katahdin on Abol trail and then down Hunt trail is a good route or not
Abol has undergone a long rebuild and re-lo, it will open this season, but the date is uncertain.
Detailed nfo for 2016 Sobos here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118015-2016-Baxter-State-Park-and-Katahdin-info-for-southbounders?p=2057089#post2057089).

Goozpah
04-16-2016, 20:53
Ok yes I had read that Abol was in limbo. What about going up Helon Taylor and down Hunt? If possible I'd rather not go up and down Hunt; I'd like a change of scenery. I just don't know what is physically possible

TJ aka Teej
04-16-2016, 21:23
Ok yes I had read that Abol was in limbo. What about going up Helon Taylor and down Hunt? If possible I'd rather not go up and down Hunt; I'd like a change of scenery. I just don't know what is physically possible
East side trails open 2-3 weeks after west side trails.
When are you planning to start? You should call Tuesday for a rez if you haven't yet done so,

Goozpah
04-19-2016, 08:28
East side trails open 2-3 weeks after west side trails.
When are you planning to start? You should call Tuesday for a rez if you haven't yet done so,

I reserved a site at Katahdin stream for June 7

TJ aka Teej
04-19-2016, 21:58
I reserved a site at Katahdin stream for June 7
Thank about two nights, Goozpah. How are you getting there?

Greenlight
04-19-2016, 22:44
Consider a flip-flop. Hike from Springer to Harpers Ferry, WV, and then take a bus to Maine and start hiking south. Anywhere along the trail, once you get out of Baxter, you could decide to flop back to Harpers Ferry and continue NOBO.

Greenlight
04-19-2016, 22:45
Consider a flip-flop. Hike from Springer to Harpers Ferry, WV, and then take a bus to Maine and start hiking south. Anywhere along the trail, once you get out of Baxter, you could decide to flop back to Harpers Ferry and continue NOBO.

You know I am literally torn about my trip , SOBO or NOBO. I am from Maine but have been living close to the Georgia terminus for ten years. The urge to pack up and walk home is strong. However, I like the idea of not racing a close out date. I think it is literally going to be a coin toss. Trust me my husband would not be phased if one day he got a call from the trail.."Dear...yeah dont pick me up...im going through." The very best of luck, and happy hikes to you!! Let us know how you go!

Goozpah
04-20-2016, 08:10
Thank about two nights, Goozpah. How are you getting there?

My family is driving me up, we are staying a night in Millinocket, and then they are driving me to wherever my starting point will be as early as possible the next morning

TJ aka Teej
04-20-2016, 10:33
If you can, stop by the AT Lodge and say hi to Ole Man to get the latest scoop. He can also provide a food drop in the 100.
The day you get up there with your parents, consider taking a few hours to drive out to Abol Bridge together. Stop at North Woods Trading Post. The view from the bridge is a classic photo op, and you may meet some other hikers and see a moose or two.
I'm betting Abol will be open. If it is, and you're thinking about going up Abol and down Hunt to KSC, don't do it with your full pack. Drop your pack at Katahdin Stream and take a loaner day pack. Look for the Birches on your left just before KSC, you can see the lean-tos from the road, so walk in and check out the site.
On your hike out, after your climb, you'll have your first blue/fade blaze when you get to Daicey Pond. When you get to the parking lot, take a left towards the campground, and look for the library on the shore. Sit in a rocker on the porch for the best view of Katahdin there is, and know that Earl Shaffer sat on that same porch enjoying the same view.
Have fun!

rafe
04-20-2016, 10:37
The view from Daicey Pond is awesome. It's etched into my memory. But that's what photos are for.