PDA

View Full Version : I am starting my NOBO hike this Tuesday, March 15th.

billdnc
03-13-2016, 16:11
I am 65 and will begin my NOBO Through Hike at Amicalola Falls this Tuesday March 15. I have hiked some sections of the trail before and I have hiked and backpacked in many places from the arctic to the jungle over the past fifty or so years. However, I have never attempted to do this many miles day after day, so there is still plenty for me to learn.
My pack weighs 30 lbs. with four days of food and two liters of water. When I get out of the cold weather, maybe around Damascus VA, I should be able to drop about five pounds from that total. I have been doing 10 to 23 mile training hikes weekly for the last six months and I feel that I am ready. My son did the trail ten years ago in 100 days flat and wearing sandals the whole way! I, however, expect to take considerably longer. Good luck to all of us!

No Trail Name Yet!

Lone Wolf
03-13-2016, 16:17
don't get rid of any cold weather gear til after the mount rogers area

Wooobie
03-13-2016, 16:25
Ill see you out there. i start the 15th as well. I have done no planning, no prep and dont have a timeline. you will probably see me out there. Trail names Woobie.

kolokolo
03-13-2016, 16:30
Good luck, and have a great hike, billdnc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billdnc
03-13-2016, 16:30
Ill see you out there. i start the 15th as well. I have done no planning, no prep and dont have a timeline. you will probably see me out there. Trail names Woobie.
My son did the same SOBO. He didn't have a clue and didn't care. He had a great hike. I'll see you.

Wooobie
03-13-2016, 16:40
My son did the same SOBO. He didn't have a clue and didn't care. He had a great hike. I'll see you.

I just want to ride the wave of the AT lol. im starting at springer and not amicalola but im sure you will catch up with me. i am a fan of taking zeros and not pushing to hard early.

Wooobie
03-13-2016, 17:02
Are you flying into atlanta?

shawnlakenorman
03-13-2016, 17:34
I am so close to starting. Good luck. I am still working out my gear pack and logistics. Calorie count food can't be hugely different. How much do I really need to pack. I know I will tweak along the way. But closed tent tarp tent hammock. Bag. Ugh. Loving it though.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk