PDA

View Full Version : Am I The First?

NewHeart
03-13-2016, 18:16
Am I the first? As a few of you know I will be leaving for Springer Mtn. for a thru-hike in 43 days. A question was asked of me am I the first heart transplanted person to attempt a thru-hike?

George
03-13-2016, 18:21
being the first mostly holds meaning if you finish

rickb
03-13-2016, 18:39
In this case the first (or second or tenth) to start must hold a great deal of meaning as well.

You should definitely check with Laurie P at the ATC on this.

Congrats and best wishes!!!!!!!

NewHeart
03-13-2016, 19:06
In this case the first (or second or tenth) to start must hold a great deal of meaning as well.

You should definitely check with Laurie P at the ATC on this.

Congrats and best wishes!!!!!!!
I will check, thanks alot. I plan on taking my first steps 4/26 and my last steps some time in October.

Christoph
03-13-2016, 20:24
Good luck and congrats! I hope you do well, that'll be quite a story.

saltysack
03-13-2016, 22:00
Best of luck....living life to the fullest!! Way to go! Remember you can sleep when your dead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kebler
03-14-2016, 00:40
Am I the first? As a few of you know I will be leaving for Springer Mtn. for a thru-hike in 43 days. A question was asked of me am I the first heart transplanted person to attempt a thru-hike?
I read your story in the Daily Herald the other day, very cool. Hopefully we will cross paths at some point on the trail. Best of luck to you!

Roamin
03-14-2016, 07:31
NewHeart, if you are the first or not, I wish you the best. Yours is an inspiring story.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160309/news/160308878/

Uncle Joe
03-14-2016, 07:37
Best of luck, NewHeart!

NewHeart
03-14-2016, 07:41
I read your story in the Daily Herald the other day, very cool. Hopefully we will cross paths at some point on the trail. Best of luck to you!
When I was told that the herald wanted to do a story on me, I never expected the front page! They did a really nice video online too. We will have to get together before I leave.

NewHeart
03-14-2016, 07:42
NewHeart, if you are the first or not, I wish you the best. Yours is an inspiring story.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160309/news/160308878/
Thanks for the good wishes and the plug.

chknfngrs
03-14-2016, 08:27
No pressure! Relax, don't stress. One foot in front of the other, breathe in, breathe out (ofifoto bibo)

rocketsocks
03-14-2016, 08:32
Good luck on your hike Bob.

CedarKeyHiker
03-14-2016, 09:52
"Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have." I am proud to call you a friend. I hope you do well and it's everything you want it to be. Your efforts to promote organ donation is admirable. Keep up the good work, be safe, and take care of yourself and that new heart..I am sorry I am not going to be able to meet you in person. I am stepping off a little before you. I'll be watching for your posts and blogs...Bobby Bombero

Deadeye
03-14-2016, 10:48
Good luck, and don't be the last.

Miel
03-14-2016, 11:14
Mazel Tov and best wishes!

Love, love, love that you are also doing this to raise organ donor awareness. Folks will remember that getting or renewing a driver's license or state-issued ID - listing oneself as an organ donor is fast, free and easy. (As is the bone marrow bank, a kit comes in the mail you take a swab of the inside of your cheek, and return it with postage paid for you.)

Go in good health!

dudeijuststarted
03-14-2016, 11:29
I am absolutely jealous of anyone who gets to thru hike. Enjoy!

Busky2
03-14-2016, 13:48
Way to go!I wish you best of luck on your journey, Gods speed.

Smoky Spoon
03-17-2016, 22:53
Whether you finish or not, you are an inspiration for electing to do some thing amazing with your life.

I applaud you sir, and will look forward to meeting you on the trail.

Best wishes.

shelb
03-17-2016, 23:08
So, where can we view your blog during your hike?

NewHeart
03-18-2016, 17:02
So, where can we view your blog during your hike?
at-tinman.com or www.facebook.com/BillsHeartBeats

Kaptainkriz
03-18-2016, 17:10
Here's to your successful journey, and may you have many more steps past October! :)

I will check, thanks alot. I plan on taking my first steps 4/26 and my last steps some time in October.

Miel
03-18-2016, 19:08
Will you be bear hunting during this trip? I wish you well but hope you, the recipient of life, are not planning on taking a life.

NewHeart
03-18-2016, 19:33
Will you be bear hunting during this trip? I wish you well but hope you, the recipient of life, are not planning on taking a life.
Bear hunting is definitely not my thing! And as an update, I took RickB's advice and contacted Laurie P at the ATC. According to their records I would be the first. However, since the registry is voluntary someone could have and just not recorded it.

Miel
03-19-2016, 09:14
Bear hunting is definitely not my thing! And as an update, I took RickB's advice and contacted Laurie P at the ATC. According to their records I would be the first. However, since the registry is voluntary someone could have and just not recorded it.

Thank you so very much! You did mention in another thread about being in a stand and all that that entails.

Again, thank you for bringing awareness to donations. Fast, free and easy to register.

egilbe
03-19-2016, 12:51
Hunting is awesome. Gives me a great chance to fill the freezer with tasty meat that isn't farm-raised. So yummy.

Dogwood
03-19-2016, 16:36
I don't immediately recall anyone who completed a planned AT thru-hike who had a complete heart transplant. I do know of several successful AT thru-hikers and two who completed the AT as section hikers who had previous heart attacks or heart surgery including mechanical and porcine heart valve replacements. I already related my own heart situation so will not recount my thru-hike. In 2006 on the AT I did meet one prospective thru-hiker who never finished who had a complete heart transplant. He went maybe 700-800 miles before wrapping it up and getting off. I saw him on occasion often tired, out of breathe, and ashen as a ghost. His wife was following along in a car.

All MY BEST.

Above all else, attempting a thru-hike with a heart transplant IMO you HAVE TO DO YOUR OWN HIKE ON YOUR TERMS INDEPENDENT OF HOW OTHER THRU-HIKERS ARE APPROACHING THEIR HIKES ALWAYS LISTENING, OBSERVING, AND ADJUSTING FOR YOUR SITUATION.